Demos and O-Licensing

Hi guys,

I have a New Generation Scania on loan for a week from SGB which, being a good boy, I have specified on my O-License. Its also got their own restricted O-License disc in the window. Do I have to take it out while I am running the vehicle on my license or can I just leave it in?

nsmith1180:
Hi guys,

I have a New Generation Scania on loan for a week from SGB which, being a good boy, I have specified on my O-License. Its also got their own restricted O-License disc in the window. Do I have to take it out while I am running the vehicle on my license or can I just leave it in?

Take their disc out of the window, as long as you have got a margin for extra vehicle specified on your op’s licence you can run that Scania without putting it on your licence,

TBH I wouldn’t bother sticking it on you olicence as long as it has the margin you’re fine as the truck is only a demo it’s not a permanent addition to the fleet. Also update us on how you get on with it, I’m thinking of having a demo. Who’s your local dealer?

As long as you have the Rome on your licence you don’t need to apply for the addition to you licence unless you have it for over 30 days ( I think it was )
Most places hire extra units and De-hire over the weekend allowing them to be kept off the licence and most hire companies just let you keep them on site as it’s easier for them.

TBH it seems like the right thing to do it properly but I would echo the other advice of leaving it off potential to cause grief all round as long as it’s short-term and less than a month. Suspect there is probably some sort of rule about not displaying someone else’s disk but it would take a particularly dickish DVSA or police bod to kick off about it. If tax discs have gone the way of the dodo it’s about time o-licence disks ought to have joined them it would be better to have a rule that the operator’s full contacts details are displayed in the windscreen at all times the vehicle is on the road or something like that.

Mine was off the road for 3 weeks last year for a full engine rebuild and MAN give me a free loaner, i rang Leeds and they said if i was keeping it for less than 28 days i didnt have to do anything, so i didnt