Roadside checks emissions

gov.uk/government/news/lorr … e-roadside

Sounds a bit like optimistic. Can’t see how they could readily check most of that without dismantling bits of the truck.

Re: exhaust scandal by trucks in germany and europe
Postby Franglais » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Smokymatpot wrote:
Subject say´s anything.
Dokumentaion in english:
youtube.com/watch?v=n0bPF61 … 0BDrrJUiW6
german version:
youtube.com/watch?v=kE7-j4s … W6&index=3

best regards
smoky

Both of those links go to versions in German or English of a film about EE drivers and their working conditions. “Die Spur des Geldes”
youtube.com/watch?v=7dl-aRE … W6&index=1
Is, I think, the link to a German language version of a film about disabling AdBlue sytems. No English version immediately visible there.
Franglais

Posted in the Euro section. Seems it is possible to gain an idea of whether or not a vehicle has emissions systems disabled without even stopping it ! Assuming that is all true, then a simple cheap roadside check will give a good clue whether or not a more in depth investigation is warranted. No need to strip `em all down, just the smelly ones.

It’s easy to check, many you only have to switch off and listen if the adblue pump is working.
The "cheating devices are easy to find, a little plug in into the OBD port will show that there is an issue.
It’s about time that there is a level playing field created for those who comply and have their equipment in order.
By the way most trucks you smell immediately when the ad blue is not working, and many smoke more.
They should come down much harder on cheats and on any use of cheating devices ( take the truck 6 month of the road, that will make them sit back and notice)
We are our own worst enemy in environmental matters!

caledoniandream:
It’s easy to check, many you only have to switch off and listen if the adblue pump is working.
The "cheating devices are easy to find, a little plug in into the OBD port will show that there is an issue.
It’s about time that there is a level playing field created for those who comply and have their equipment in order.
By the way most trucks you smell immediately when the ad blue is not working, and many smoke more.
They should come down much harder on cheats and on any use of cheating devices ( take the truck 6 month of the road, that will make them sit back and notice)
We are our own worst enemy in environmental matters!

What a load of tripe. You should get a job on roadside enforcement with the dvsa.

Did they not used to check emissions at MOT , im sure i remember laughing at the tester when he nearly fell off the tank trying to stick his probe down an eminox stack

chaversdad:
Did they not used to check emissions at MOT , im sure i remember laughing at the tester when he nearly fell off the tank trying to stick his probe down an eminox stack

Yes, done away with a few years back.

Own Account Driver:

chaversdad:

Yes, done away with a few years back.

Think I read somewhere that part of the MOT check for Euro 6 will include an emission check…

all they gonna do is plug into the ecu and that will tell them, no nose needed

scotstrucker:

Is only a pointer they would have to differentiate between tampering and genuine faults unless they make any emissions faults an offence.

Own Account Driver:

scotstrucker:

Is only a pointer they would have to differentiate between tampering and genuine faults unless they make any emissions faults an offence.

which is why they would use ecu to allow them too dig deeper, but even genuine faults will land them hot water

scotstrucker:

Own Account Driver:

scotstrucker:

which is why they would use ecu to allow them too dig deeper, but even genuine faults will land them hot water

This is what I’ve heard - not a safety fault sure, but by making it an MOT inspection point, driving with an emissions fault will be dealt with in the same manner as other roadside faults and, I believe, issued with a delayed prohibition.

If someone is mapping an ecu, they’ll be able to make it as good as undetectable at the roadside. It’ll be more difficult on later stuff but someone somewhere will crack it.