MOT and 8 week check the same week?

If a HGV has an MOT due date and an 8 week Inspection date within a couple of days of each other, can the two be completed at the same time or do they need to be different entities? Does the issuing of an MOT certificate cover the 8 week inspection or do i need a separate 8 week Inspection sheet? Thanks in advance

will count as one ,service inspection MOT ,That would be the best option,Why have to take it off the road a week later when it has just had an inspection …Every inspection should be to MOT standard ,there isn’t anything special about a MOT inspection,the only difference is it gets checked by VOAS …So what you are doing is perfectly ok

I have had a more thorough look through this fantastic forum and found the following thread from a few years ago…

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92783&hilit=maintenance+inspections+intervals

The paperwork i am checking has a MOT as being an 8 Week Inspection.

On reading the above interesting thread, the feel i get is that an MOT and PMI check are different entities and should be treated as such.

The PMI is a more thorough check than the MOT, with the MOT completed by VOSA assigned mechanics. PMI’s are completed by the companies’ regular repair shop.

One of the replies to the thread above included informal feedback from a VOSA officer who said…

""One of my clients has just had a VOSA inspection and when the examiner asked why a truck went in early I explained this is what we did. His answer was good idea but what he did explain is how they look at it.

If for example a PMI ensures the truck is 10/10 when it goes back on the road and an MOT is looking for 5/10 then over the 6,8 or how ever many weeks your inspection period is the truck should only deteriorate to the MOT level. So if you include the PMI level into your pre MOT checks then you have killed two birds with one stone and kept the truck on the road as much as possible.“”

Thoughts please…

Technically speaking you must use a checklist for the PMI that includes a mandatory list of checkable items listed by their IM code. An MOT doesn’t have this so it cannot be used to record a PMI check. The answer is to have the pre-MOT check done using a PMI sheet, this can then be used as your PMI.

Thanks for your informative replies. I have now changed the companies policy to having the PMI check as part of the Pre-MOT check with regular maintenance company and the MOT getting done at the VOSA accredited garage over a couple of days.