More miles = Lower rates

I have contacted with maxihaulage for their subcontractor work, it’s great if you only drive about 1200 miles/week which is low mileage work. If you drive more, the rate per mile goes down dramatically. 1900 miles = 1.15 per mile. This is the quote;

Average is about 1500 - 1800 miles, but if on multi drop work this can be less. However some subbies do more.

Rates would be as below:

For the work you might undertake for us we would propose the following way of paying. We will guarantee a fixed weekly rate of £1139.00 (sterling) to cover you’re fixed costs even if you don’t turn a wheel. There is a 10% margin built in so you will always make this margin. Thereafter we will pay 55p per mile (auto routed miles) Based on present fuel cost of 89 pence per litre. The pence per mile quoted is based on fuel price at present, which means if fuel goes down the price per mile will too, if it goes up then so will pence per mile.

miles 0.55ppm £1,139.00

1000 £550.00 £1,689.00

1250 £687.50 £1,826.50

1300 £715.00 £1,854.00

1400 £770.00 £1,909.00

1500 £825.00 £1,964.00

1600 £880.00 £2,019.00

1900 £1,045.00 £2,184.00

How much will it be to Hire a trailer from Maxihaulage?

Ans: Maxi does not charge for any trailers used.

What sort of insurance requirements needed?

Ans: We would require you to have a minimum of RHA 2009 £2,000 per tonne for all Maxi work.

My biggest worry is why do they only go upto £2184 on there rate schedule, you need to be making £2500 - £3000 in this game a week to make it worth doing or you may as well just drive someone elses truck

But to go back to your origanol point

If i do a local say to Darlington that gets me £140 for doing 20 miles

If i do a load to Inverness that gets me £1050 for 350 miles

Local works out at £7 a mile distance works out at just under £3 a mile

So its not just Maxi haulage , they all work more or less the same

chaversdad:
My biggest worry is why do they only go upto £2184 on there rate schedule, you need to be making £2500 - £3000 in this game a week to make it worth doing or you may as well just drive someone elses truck

But to go back to your origanol point

If i do a local say to Darlington that gets me £140 for doing 20 miles

If i do a load to Inverness that gets me £1050 for 350 miles

Local works out at £7 a mile distance works out at just under £3 a mile

So its not just Maxi haulage , they all work more or less the same

Barron Wood Dist. quoted £1.40 for every mile loaded / unloaded and average 1600 miles a week, and 1600 miles with Maxihaulage the rate will be around £1.26 per mile which is very very low.

The rates shown are typical, they don’t need to pay more as some numpty will do it!

I wonder if anybody the actually subs for maxi would like to comment on you offer , I have a suspicion that there may be a few offers on the table from maxi as they have contacted me a few times offering traction work and all offers have been different the last one being similar to yours only the base line was £1530 then 55 pence per mile thereafter with a carrot that the truck would achieve 2100 miles a week.
I politely declined their offers so far and it seems the offer is falling .

chipliner:
I wonder if anybody the actually subs for maxi would like to comment on you offer , I have a suspicion that there may be a few offers on the table from maxi as they have contacted me a few times offering traction work and all offers have been different the last one being similar to yours only the base line was £1530 then 55 pence per mile thereafter with a carrot that the truck would achieve 2100 miles a week.

Their quote is kind of weird, you do more work for them and they pay you less, it has to be other way around or fixed rate imo. Also, I would like to ask you guys what’s your average/maximum miles driven in a week? Is 2000 miles a week achievable for subcontractors?

Andrey1:

chipliner:

Their quote is kind of weird, you do more work for them and they pay you less, it has to be other way around or fixed rate imo. Also, I would like to ask you guys what’s your average/maximum miles driven in a week? Is 2000 miles a week achievable for subcontractors?

Well it’s def possible, but not usual. My average is 1600miles weekly. £2000 simply doesn’t add up. For 1500 miles you should be trying to turnover £3000. Would it be fair to say you aren’t close to going on your own andrey?

Mattwoodtransport:

Andrey1:

chipliner:

Well it’s def possible, but not usual. My average is 1600miles weekly. £2000 simply doesn’t add up. For 1500 miles you should be trying to turnover £3000. Would it be fair to say you aren’t close to going on your own andrey?

Not starting anytime soon, but searching for it. I haven’t find any subcontractor work which pays near £2 per mile. How’s Lidl supermarket work?

natashasi:
Thought you guys would appreciate this blog post I found, on 10 great ways to save on your insurance cover

Do you happen to know the rough price for a policy of a newbie owner operator running one unit?

I know it varies based on a variety of factors, but a rough figure would be enough.

£2200, one driver, over 25, unit 10k value,

Mattwoodtransport:

Includes all? GIT, liability, unit etc…

Andrey1:

Mattwoodtransport:

Includes all? GIT, liability, unit etc…

Not sure if that’s for the first year, others on here who have just set up trading have given figures of around £4500.

£5K

probably less if only one owner driver on the ppolicy

Priest:
£5K

probably less if only one owner driver on the ppolicy

My first year of operating: £3800 for vehicle, GIT, public liability and employers liability (latter was included in the GIT). 26tn rigid plus truck mounted forks - combined value of £22k.

Second year: £3000 for insurances above, new setup - 44tn gtw wag and drag + crane - £60k combined value.

One driver. Me. Slightly over 25.

No claims or endorsements.

and when was that and who with?