Man d2866 loh 26 350hp

Hie Everyone

Forgive me as this may not be directly relavant to HGV’s but my question relates to the MAN D2866 LOH engines used in coaches. I would like to buy a 1998 Man Noge Catalan coach that has such an engine and wanted to find out from people any negative or positive experiences with that engine as its also used in trucks. I have heard some bad stories about MAN engines, namely expensive parts but i don’t mind hassling for the parts. I am more concerned with the durability of the engines and whether they are trouble free or not?

Thank you

The D28 is a pretty reliable old lump. EGR’s can fail from time to time but they’re far better than the newer MAN engines

AF1:
The D28 is a pretty reliable old lump. EGR’s can fail from time to time but they’re far better than the newer MAN engines

Thanx for the reply but did the 1998 D2866 engines come with EGR or they were just basic engines because the engine on that bus is a EURO 2?

The D 2866 engine has been around in various guises for more than 20 years. The two major faults associated with it are a 1990’s reputation for the camshaft gearwheel to come loose with predictable results and a risk of the block cracking along the line of the camshaft if the engine has been uprated significantly. The warning sign for the latter being oil leaks in that area.

cav551:
The D 2866 engine has been around in various guises for more than 20 years. The two major faults associated with it are a 1990’s reputation for the camshaft gearwheel to come loose with predictable results and a risk of the block cracking along the line of the camshaft if the engine has been uprated significantly. The warning sign for the latter being oil leaks in that area.

Thank you

I forget to add that until fairly recently this was THE engine to have for Truck racing. There are still some teams using it.

fallyferres:

AF1:

Thanx for the reply but did the 1998 D2866 engines come with EGR or they were just basic engines because the engine on that bus is a EURO 2?

I wouldn’t like to say for certain but I wouldn’t worry unduly if it has, the older EGR’s don’t give so much trouble. For me the biggest worry would be getting technical info and some parts. MAN coaches of that era tend to be a mix and match of parts and the dealers weren’t very well geared up for the parts side and sourcing wiring diagrams etc can sometimes be an issue.

cav551:
I forget to add that until fairly recently this was THE engine to have for Truck racing. There are still some teams using it.

Did Stuart Oliver have one in a Volvo or scania chassis? I could swear I’ve seen a pic of one with what looked like the chrome rocker covers of a D28■■

I think you are right. IIRC the two that the team raced in April had different MAN engines to each other. I do know that Ricky Collett was running a D 28 at Brands earlier this year. It was definitely off the pace, but whether that was because itis not a fully electronic engine or soem other reason I don’t know. Certainly the mechanical 14 litre ■■■■■■■ seem to struggle a bit until they get wound up along the straights. There seems to be a lot of tweeking going on in the paddock with fuel pressures and flow between races.