1999 Scania 124g rigid that won't select gears

Hi,
I have a 1999 Scania 124g rigid that won’t select gears.
The clutch feels normal, but it is not disengaging. If I start the truck in gear it takes off so the clutch is not slipping. There is plenty of clutch fluid.

Would it be the clutch stuck to the flywheel?

Any suggestions? Anyone had this before?

Cheers,
Nick

Fairly common for any make of vehicle that has been idle for a long time. There are brute force ways of freeing it but they do carry an element of damage risk. You could try spraying the splines with WD40 or similar.

How long has it stood for?

Try an air chisel against the flywheel teeth the vibrations can shock it off without too much risk of damage - you’r not trying to move the flywheel just vibrate it.

I don’t think the OP has said that it has been stood for any length of time?

If it has then I’d suggest taking it out on a quiet road if possible and with the clutch depressed, accelerate violently several times, or maybe put the drive axle up on axle stands, bring it up to 56mph and with the clutch depressed jam the brakes on. Maybe beforehand wedge the clutch pedal down with a piece of wood for 24 hours.

If it hasn’t been stood for any length of time then I’d be thinking either the clutch actuating arm or the thrust race has failed?

Thanks for the replies, ill give them a go.
I brought this truck as is from Auction and this is what arrived, no idea how long it has been sitting for.
How can i check the clutch actuating arm?

Cheers,
Nick

I wouldn’t put it on axle stands and take it to 56 ,

bowers340:
Thanks for the replies, ill give them a go.
I brought this truck as is from Auction and this is what arrived, no idea how long it has been sitting for.
How can i check the clutch actuating arm?

Cheers,
Nick

Might be a small inspection plate you can remove on the housing somewhere but may not be.

norb:

Film it, stick it on 'tinterweb and when it goes viral the money made should more than cover the damage! Plus it’d be spectacular. :wink:

Iirc the scanias have a little inspection plate one 12 oclock and one 6 oclock but think they only allow you to measure the friction plate thickness (minimum 7mm) but as they show you edge on view of the friction plate itself you may be able to get busy with a thin screwdriver if the clutch pedal is held down?
Some of our trucks stand for 6 plus months at a time not had a clutch stick yet.

norb:

I’m with you mate [emoji23][emoji23]

norb:

Haha I had no intentions of doing that.

bowers340:
Hi,
I have a 1999 Scania 124g rigid that won’t select gears.
The clutch feels normal, but it is not disengaging. If I start the truck in gear it takes off so the clutch is not slipping. There is plenty of clutch fluid.

Would it be the clutch stuck to the flywheel?

Any suggestions? Anyone had this before?

Cheers,
Nick

Usually, if the release bearing fails, or the operating arm gives in, the slave cylinder will go to the full extent of its travel and the clutch pedal will go solid.
It seems more likely that the driven plate is stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate or both.
If you have access to a rigid tow bar and another vehicle, put the bar between both vehicles, then with brakes off and clutch held down push and pull alternately, it doesn’t need to be too violent. If this doesn’t do the trick then I think it will be a gearbox out scenario.