Volvo FH13 Euro5 DPF.

Hi, having just had a quote of £4000 by a main dealer to replace the exhaust box/ DPF,
I wondered if anyone on here had any experience of fitting an aftermarket one which are available for around half the quoted price above.
Don’t have any problem fitting it myself,and have access to fault resetting equipment, just wondering about the quality of non genuine parts and any comments from anyone who have done this ,would be appreciated .

Not suggesting you do anything else but follow the proper procedure, but I have seen ad-blue system emulators for sale and DPF deletes and so on?

Thanks for that Tricky, I know what your saying but, with the currant interest being shown by the authorities towards emulators and such devices I’d probably just be storing up problems for the future.

Yes I got one from dr dpf, I think it was £700 exchange.mine wasn’t putting up any fault codes it just had no power and the boost gauge only went half way.we tried the regen thing but no good.ive had to have a second one fitted because the turbo went bang and filled the exhaust with soot.so a lesson learned ,remove exhaust flexi before running up hard shoulder.

Thanks for the reply Jackslad, I’ve ended up going the main dealer route only because it was the quickest way to get the truck back earning.
Out of curiosity, how many Kms had you done when the turbo went? On my last unit it was about 700,000.

434mike:
Hi, having just had a quote of £4000 by a main dealer to replace the exhaust box/ DPF,
I wondered if anyone on here had any experience of fitting an aftermarket one which are available for around half the quoted price above.
Don’t have any problem fitting it myself,and have access to fault resetting equipment, just wondering about the quality of non genuine parts and any comments from anyone who have done this ,would be appreciated .

I used this compan -
ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-euro-4- … Swxp9W4FEf

Did Volvo use EGR on euro5 ■■? I thought they where SCR /ad blue EGR has a DPF ,SCR has the CAT //A DPF can be cleaned ,a SCR cat can not ,The DPF collects soot which when it regenerates burns the soot in to ash ,as ash can not be burned ,it collets until you need to send it away to be cleaned …With a CAT ,from thr firt turn of the key due to a chemical reaction ,you are poisoning the CAT ,a CAT cant be cleaned it technically dies and a new cat is required

434mike:
Thanks for the reply Jackslad, I’ve ended up going the main dealer route only because it was the quickest way to get the truck back earning.
Out of curiosity, how many Kms had you done when the turbo went? On my last unit it was about 700,000.

Hi mike,yes mine was at about 750,000km when it went,I’ve just had to have the I shift range change sorted as well,so that meant a new clutch also.it hasn’t been my best motor.

Hi, what symptoms where you getting? I’m getting periodly loosing power /boost on long pulls heavy laden. No fault codes,as for boost gauge I’m getting slightly over half going just into yellow but not full of clock.

norb:
Did Volvo use EGR on euro5 ■■? I thought they where SCR /ad blue EGR has a DPF ,SCR has the CAT //A DPF can be cleaned ,a SCR cat can not ,The DPF collects soot which when it regenerates burns the soot in to ash ,as ash can not be burned ,it collets until you need to send it away to be cleaned …With a CAT ,from thr firt turn of the key due to a chemical reaction ,you are poisoning the CAT ,a CAT cant be cleaned it technically dies and a new cat is required

Hi Norb
I think Volvo did sell a few EGR trucks at Euro 5. Think they were mostly 13 litre rated at 440. Not sure if they had a DPF.
The great majority were SCR with only a Cat, which I don’t think were too prone to failure unless following a turbo failure when they often got filled up with oil and other crud. And yes, they were expensive to replace.

434mike:

Easy fix. Remove the DPF, carefully cut open down the factory weld line and knock out the filter with a hammer and chisel. Mig weld back together and repaint with VHT paint. Have DPF delete flash mapped into the ECU. It will pass any visual inspection…

434mike:

We have successfully refurbished our own DPF’s on cars and vans, (but never tried a truck one, ours are pre all this fancy stuff), by removing them and soaking in a tank of traffic film remover and then repeatdly rinsing. A lot of the ash / soot comes out and the fault code does not come back for a long time. You can buy specific DPF washing fluid to do this now but never tried it.

You can do the AndrewG method on some vans without any deleting because the DPF is not monitored, ie has no sensors to detect the pressure difference across it.

jackslad:
Yes I got one from dr dpf, I think it was £700 exchange.mine wasn’t putting up any fault codes it just had no power and the boost gauge only went half way.we tried the regen thing but no good.ive had to have a second one fitted because the turbo went bang and filled the exhaust with soot.so a lesson learned ,remove exhaust flexi before running up hard shoulder.

Hi jackslad, i see you say you bought one from dr dpf. We had a turbo go and now no boost and its due to a blocked silencer i have 2 choices a new dinex unit or an exchange from dr dpf and was just wondering what the one from dr dpf was like as a new one is exactly double the money quoted by them?

boyesadabest:

jackslad:

Hi jackslad, i see you say you bought one from dr dpf. We had a turbo go and now no boost and its due to a blocked silencer i have 2 choices a new dinex unit or an exchange from dr dpf and was just wondering what the one from dr dpf was like as a new one is exactly double the money quoted by them?

Yes I got one from dr dpf March 17,they are exchange so you are getting someone else’s failed unit back,he cuts them open and fits new filter,I would use him again if needs be.