Going independent

I am thinking of buying a 18ton waggon and going it alone does but worried about getting work are these load finder sites any good would appreciate any useful feedback :confused:

You’d make a lot more money, if you started a load finder site! Only one real winner there.

so you can’t make a living with them ■■? can you advise how you go about finding a load on a regular basis any advice welcome

There’s been quite a few questions on here about setting up and working for yourself, it might be worth half an hour of your time to trawl through the last six months and look at some of the threads.

18tonners are not my area, vans, 7.5s, artics not Class2, but the principle is the same. Loadfinder sites take the profit that you as a haulier should have and now you may be competing against some of the East EUs that can operate at a lower rate than you can. There OK just if you really need a load back and the one you had line up goes Pete Tong, but not to base your entire operation on.

The only way to do it is to actually find a customer(s) yourself, go direct to a manufacturer is the holy grail. I would suggest that you look at getting work lined up first.

I don’t wish to sound rude, are you up to date with the legal requirements, do you have sufficient money for the O License, sufficient money to run a truck for at least 60 days with no money coming in. Are you a CPC holder or are you contrcting that out? Thje fact that you don’tknow that you can’t make a proper living out of the loadfinder sites, suggests that you lack experience.

I started with a van and expanded from that, and I find it difficult to say to people don’t do it, because I managed it. BUT, generally speaking getting a truck’s a fast track to the poor house.

Thanks for the tips and information lads will keep researching and looking at the possibilities of starting off with smaller wheels

halo

mate I’m liking the thread. I’m looking into setting up to. most responses I see on here to this sort of question is mainly ‘easier to work for someone else’ and ‘drive someone elses truck’, ‘have you got the dough’…and basically put you off b4 you’ve even started. all advice is good advice so don’t take it to heart. keep up the research and reading which is what i’m doing.
bro hear me out. you are on the right path. you must ‘speculate to accumulate’ everything is doable nothing is impossible. long as you look into it realistically and scrutinize everything from every angle the probability of pitfals are reduced somewhat. the most successful people make many mistakes b4 they ‘make it’. just keep them small and to a minimum lol

the reality is if you work for agencies they have your pants off and rip you off
if you work for a firm you get the stability, holidays and no headache of running costs etc etc
if you set up on your 1s, that’s where the dough is for real
you just need to be hungry, have something about you, have the balls, understand the element of risk and of course get the research done ! anyway I can type away for England on here and I need to hit the sack as come off night shift. back in tonight lol

07968911105 whats app me or call me for a chin wag and i’ll tell you on my plan of attack and progress into setting up - hopefully open up some ideas for you

by all means listen and ask questions
DONT let anyone put you off if this is something you really want
its a marathon not a sprint
take baby steps daily towards your goal
I’m well on track
booked by management haulage cpc course yesterday

keep trucking and safe driving
onwards and upwards

I’d wish both halo and 1dog the best of luck. I ran my own truck for four years and I earned a living at it, but not enough to make it worth replacing the truck when it was worn out.

I don’t regret doing it and I came out quits, but I’m doing agency work now and if I put in the hours I did when I was running my own truck, I’d be taking home nearly £1,000 a week, with zero aggravation.

But, you never know, hard work and one lucky break could mean becoming a wealthy man. I had the hard work, I just didn’t get the lucky break. :stuck_out_tongue:

nice1 Harry Monk

Yikes 1dog, your post broke the cliche-o-meter!

Though I agree with several of your points. The question I have for the op is why an 18t? A 7.5t has go anywhere advantages and lower licence requirements, a 26t has obvious payload benefits and an artic has flexibility, payload and ready supply in its favour.

I firmly believe that by starting with a unit I started right, because I have a decent cab and I can hire the right back end for this week’s job, and if need be, hire a different back end for next week.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

If some one I no is making a success it’s Nsmith1180. Advice from him is of great value. He is someone I am listening to, haven been there and is doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand nsmith, I started at the opposite end with a van :open_mouth: and that was right for me. Even now, there are times when I can make more profit on a van than I can an artic.

Try to find a good customer(s).

Don’t work for another transport company as they’ll run off with all the profit.

Easier said than done i’m afraid.

Keep positive in your search for the right client that suits you.

nsmith1180:
Yikes 1dog, your post broke the cliche-o-meter!

Though I agree with several of your points. The question I have for the op is why an 18t? A 7.5t has go anywhere advantages and lower licence requirements, a 26t has obvious payload benefits and an artic has flexibility, payload and ready supply in its favour.

I firmly believe that by starting with a unit I started right, because I have a decent cab and I can hire the right back end for this week’s job, and if need be, hire a different back end for next week.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

only just seen reply nsmith - hmm, sounds like you’ve got a good set up as its clearly working for you. I’m working my way gradually towards some sort of a self employed owner driver set up. Not 100% sure what even tho it does look like increasingly running a unit. Studying CPC Management Course the mo. Exams in March. Fingers crossed. Once I get passed that, it will b a major box ticked.
I’m not really worried too much about setting everything up. Everything is more or less in order, biggest hurdle being passing CPC course. its more how I generate my work which is what beats me up thinking about really. I’m open t any input you have on tis subject area

thanks and all the best

Knightk386:
If some one I no is making a success it’s Nsmith1180. Advice from him is of great value. He is someone I am listening to, haven been there and is doing it.
[/quote

Thanks buddy, head growing very much in progress! I am just glad to help.

1dog:
I’m not really worried too much about setting everything up. Everything is more or less in order, biggest hurdle being passing CPC course. its more how I generate my work which is what beats me up thinking about really. I’m open t any input you have on tis subject area.

I’m not going to be much help on that one I’m afraid as I am in the position of taking the work that’s given to me. My area is full of big boys and long established hauliers, so without a bit of brand recognition I’m not going to be in with much of a prayer of securing decent work so I’m working on getting recognised, getting the standing costs down a bit, (insurance is eyewatering at the moment and I’ve just brought a used trailer so no more rental costs, just depreciation and maintenance which is a fraction of the rental payment.)

I can make a profit on Wincanton/Maritime/BWD etc, not a massive one, but enough to pay me and put a little in the company account so I can afford to take a couple of years getting good at it, before looking for my own work.