05 Daf FTT85 Injectors

G’day All
Would replacing a set of Injectors something you would consider doing yourself, or just pay through the nose to let the “Dealer” do it ?
appreciate your thoughts. :smiley:

05 being XE engine? if so simple enough.
I cant remember if the XE injector pipes go into the rocker covers or not? if so also need 6 new sealing D rubbers.

Hi
Yes that’s right, just comparing prices here in oz
Injector. Part #1453001 = 212.00 GBP.
Sealing Rubbers. # 1367856 = 10.00 GBP. :unamused:

The XE engine does use the D rubbers which are in fact the same part as fitted to the Leyland 600 of 1946/7 vintage. IIRC the Leyland 350 is probably a more accurate comparison because the 600 injector inlet passes through the ‘wall’ of the cylinder head, while the XE copies the 350 series engines of similar vintage in having a separate ‘deck’ on top of the cylinder head through which the inlet passes.

“Plus ca change, c’est la meme chose”. (Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr)

Workshop manual will probably say replace the pipes but in reality no-one does.

Own Account Driver:

Not on the XE /XF engine Own Account Driver …the pipes can be used as often as you want …It was the MX engine where the pipes deformed to the injector where it was 1 use only ,but recently for the Euro 6 version depending on the chassis number you can reuse the pipes as long as you keep it matched with the same injector

norb:

Own Account Driver:

Not on the XE /XF engine Own Account Driver …the pipes can be used as often as you want …It was the MX engine where the pipes deformed to the injector where it was 1 use only ,but recently for the Euro 6 version depending on the chassis number you can reuse the pipes as long as you keep it matched with the same injector

Interesting, thanks, we’ve not been being naughty then.

Own Account Driver:

norb:

Own Account Driver:

Interesting, thanks, we’ve not been being naughty then.

No you have been good lol… I know at Thame they did try and reuse pipes on MX engines and it was a failure,so for the Euro 4 /5 engine you have to renew the pipes …On the Euro 6 apparently you can …Though if you replace an injector then you will also need a new pipe …It is only if you keep them as a matched set …Personally on the Euro4/5 engines when removing the cylinder head I only undone the pipes at the pump units ,so that would save the customer £600 as it is £100 a pipe …was never thanked lol…probably got a complaint lol

Morning All.
Sooo, when I remove the valve cover it is all pretty much straight forward,
or would you suggest getting my hands on a workshop manual, haven’t done a set of Injectors since the 80s, a little 3208 Cat motor.
Any help appreciated. :unamused:

It is straight forward ,a no drama job

I got the job of replacing the head gaskets on loads of XE lumps, nice job done in one shift incl core plugs etc, i hated doing them head bolts the last set of degrees!
Best of all three words on job card, replace head gaskets, doen wash hands go home :grimacing:

Took pipes off both ends and never replaced any they were our regular customers and never heard of any pipe failures later on.

Well I’d be telling the service manager to go ■■■■ himself if he started telling me to do that in 8 hrs.

It was a doddle and I actually liked it as it was better than non stop servicing which is what night shift do just about everywhere.
After we had done them all I found out from other daf dealers they did the final torquing with the 1 inch air gun!

G’day all
Doing Injectors this weekend, can’t complain got 1.1m out of them!
thanks for your input. :wink:

There is an awful lot of cleaning involved in that job, with some 40 threaded holes in the block to clear of sealant and the corresponding holes in the heads to clear of carbon and ■■■■. Then there are the various other gaskets virtually Araldited to inlet manifold, decks, turbo oil pipes etc to remove in small pieces and clean up. That without dealing with the exhaust heat shield bolts which shear off or trying to get them out so they don’t. The 20 ? or so core plugs are another matter, to a certain extent luck plays a part in how easily they come out, but it is no five minute job cleaning up the holes to ensure the whole lot doesn’t have to come off again because of a leak.

I remember the old building where the night shift would regularly see fitters sent outside with a torch to carry out safety inspections and the vehicles were packed inside so tightly that a fitter had his leg run over when the vehicle next to him was driven out of the workshop. The same building in which it was considered perfectly safe to cut mudwing brackets off a petrol tanker with an oxy acetylene torch. The same company that modified contracts to require fitters to pay for paintwork which might be scratched in a grossly overcrowded workshop.

No the job will be finished when I say it is. :imp:

Ive still got the taps for cleaning the head bolts threads out, of course I now havent done any for at least 4/5 years.

One guy snapped the tap in the block, then he spent hours getting it out and decided to use an easy out and we all know what happens to easy outs :grimacing:

I modded a chisel to get the core plugs out, literally five maybe ten seconds each, I drove it into the side of the core plug then with the chisel resting over the other side of the core plug hit the end of the chisel and out would pop the plug.

I can remember the rock hard gasket remains :angry: Ive since found out a needle air descaler gun is excellent for the task, breaks the gaskets into little bits with no damage to the steel face.

I bought some of the Irwin/snap on external hammer on bolt removers excellent for the heat shield bolts.
Still have to remove the same bolts but on the PR lump to get the compressor head off or that annoying side plate gasket that always leaks behind the turbo.

The gaskets where easy to remove ,a chapping hammer would break them off in chunks ,Never had to change core plugs ,think I have done a handful in 20 years with DAF ,cleaning the thread was another matter totally …Boring along with the head gasket (pre multi layered)…But all in it was a good job ,done in a shift

One of these Bosch DIY multi tool things, with the right blade, takes a lot of the work out of any scraping job.

Hello all

I have just stumbled across this forum and seem to have found a wealth of knowledgeable people.
so please excuse me for coming straight in with a question! im in the process of replacing the head gaskets on my cf85 xe engine could anyone tell me if the torque setting for the head bolts have changed due to the upgraded metal gaskets. The manual I have says 50Nm - 150Nm + 60 degrees x2 and 94Nm for the m12s

M16 50NM 150NM 60 DEGREES 120 DEGREES
M12 110NM