Using my company card to download VU of another?

Hi,

Not sure if this is legal/acceptable. A fellow operator misplaced their company tacho card, but they need to download the VU urgently. They asked me to put my company tacho card (but not lock-in?) into their truck to enable the download. He says there will be no record within the downloaded VU file indicating what the company card was until the file is uploaded to his Tachomaster where it would be associated with his company.

He says his TM does it all the time, using just one company tacho card to download multiple operators’ VUs.

Is that true? Can I let him do it? Or should I refuse and make him wait for his new company card?

Many thanks

If the VU was locked in by the misplaced company card, then as far as I’m aware your card will not unlock it. The whole point of having a company card is to lock your data into your VU so nobody can see it (data protection). Unless their VU was not locked in, then it should download. TBH it’s not something I’ve heard of before.

If the VU was locked in on the previous card then you can download but would be unable to view the data files. This would still satisfy the requirement to download the VU and save the files.

Wildy:
If the VU was locked in on the previous card then you can download but would be unable to view the data files. This would still satisfy the requirement to download the VU and save the files.

But not to analyse the data. Just saving the data may scrape through but I can’t see the OTC being too forgiving if you don’t do the analysis then get inspected and they find issues like missing kms.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Why did he only have 1 card when you can have a ridiculous amount of cards in the region of hundreds…Wether what has been done is illegal or not I don’t know …But considering the amount of cards you can have ,there shouldn’t be a need to use someone elses …So he never thought to have 1 or 2 spare for an occasion like this ■■

nsmith1180:

Wildy:

But not to analyse the data. Just saving the data may scrape through but I can’t see the OTC being too forgiving if you don’t do the analysis then get inspected and they find issues like missing kms.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The data can still be analysed. If Dvsa request the data it would be in the form of raw data files. In the OP’s case he doesn’t need to analyse the data.