Trailers. Ejectors V Belt floors

I’ve been given the task to compare artic bulk ram ejector trailers against a rubber floor belt driven ejector trailer (similar to tar mac spec) can anyone please comment?

It is for aggregate usage sand, soil 20mil stone etc we cannot use a conventional bottle ram tipper because of overturn reasons in my opinion the ram ejector is the business but costly to purchase and there are not many used ones out there on the market so the cheaper alternative is a used belt floor driven ejector.

I’ve no experience with a belt driven trailer can any operator tell me the downside of them ie reliability, repair costs etc?

I think Hansons run some of the belt trailers the bodies werent very tall so assume for aggregrate use, Iirc the rear roller sometimes caused issues but that mainly due to no bugger greasing the bearings, but never heard of belt failures, we saw them every 6 weeks and dont recall seeing many if any new parts bolted on so must have been reliable, Iirc they ran off the trucks pto so add in a weigh loader 2 poss 3 hyd pipes and you certainly have some suzies to contend with.

Also used to work at another place that looked after walking floor and ejector trailers, both a royal pita at times, the ejectors used to blow the rams to bits so you would have a 100 odd litres of hyd oil and a ram in several pieces that you had to remove, fitting the new ram was not easy well it was but the thing was bloody heavy, from memory approx 10ft long and 15 inches in dia.
They were used on refuse so were hammered from dawn til dusk.

The walking floor great idea, replacing planks pain, replacing the blocks the planks ran on! i did one kills your knees and would never do another, slow as well, quite complicated hydraulics.

Out of the 3 the fact Hansons use the belt one would swing it for me.

An ejector moving sand would be useless if it’s anything like the ones we use for waste. They are not light trailers and you would end up digging and brushing half the load out the front which went under the blade.

Thanks guys great feedback if anyone else can give me an opinion then please do…

mrginge:
An ejector moving sand would be useless if it’s anything like the ones we use for waste. They are not light trailers and you would end up digging and brushing half the load out the front which went under the blade.

I worked with a lad who forgot to bring the blade back after tipping on a landfill once, he turned up at the hopper where the waste was loaded by computer…20+ tons of household crap dropped in behind the blade :open_mouth:

He spent the next two days digging it out on his own, it was either that or the sack :blush:

Lovin it, it looks like the rubber conveyer belt system is less fuss. We will also be loading spoil (from road and paved areas) loaded from a loading shovel over the trailer sides will the belt and underneath conveyer mechanism be damaged whilst such loading takes place? Also will spoil, soil, sand, stone etc get underneath the belt (at the sides/edges) creating conveyer system problems?

At the end of the day 1 new ram push artic ejector trailer is the same cost as 4x second hand ex tarmac spec belt trailers… dilemma

Can anyone please add an opinion

Check out:
chieftaintrailers.com and look at their aggregate ejector trailer,
Malcoms up in Scotland run them.
I’d want to research how one of those “belt-type” ejector trailers stand up to 5yrs+ hard quarry work!!!
Would also want to check payload stats on both plus with the Chieftain what traction is like as no 10T product over the pin looking@ website video!!![emoji52]
(Although ram/blade prob heavy enough maybe)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

You could also try titan walking floor or ejector trailer they have a both for agg and tar set up.Give them a phone and ask there trailers a light aswell could help with the tare weight.

Colin_scottish:
You could also try titan walking floor or ejector trailer they have a both for agg and tar set up.Give them a phone and ask there trailers a light aswell could help with the tare weight.

With weight being a huge factor to consider, how much emphasis is put into researching where you shave a bit off here and a bit off there?

I work for IMS Limited (SAF) and I’m curious to know how much research you do regarding possible weight savings?

Thanks

David