Renault Premium 10-12 Plates

Hello, im newbie in this forum and also will be newbie as owner driver as well.

We are currently in process with our o’license, and looking to buying a second hand tractor unit.

First Option on top of my list is RENAULT PREMIUM 460 DXI 6X2, will try to explain why
*First of all is a decent price (being one of the cheapest trucks on a market in these days)
*Comfortable to drive (been driving as self employed agency driver for a past couple of years, so quite few times i had a chance to drive one of those, and i really enjoyed driving it).

So the question raising if anyone has those trucks as operator instead of being only a driver?
Wondering how reliable they are (offcourse i understand it depends a lot how it has been maintained), wondering if they have any common faults and how expensive is to keep it running comparing with other trucks (Scania’s, MAN’s or DAF’s)
Any information regarding those trucks is higly valuable so thanks a lot in advance.

I drive Renault premium 62 plate for Wincanton and to be honest if well maintained they are a cheap great truck hardly goes wrong on me good engine as it’s Volvo engine their only downside is electrics as it’s French electrics but again so far been ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpg you will get about 7 to 8 when loaded as well so ain’t that bad

Not bad mpg

And that’s going from Middlesbrough to Sheffield and back

Only thing I can think of that annoys me is the great i engine hump in can and electrics u get the odd warning light but that’s it

I don’t think there is much wrong with the later versions of this Renault. However, if as it seems, you’re ok with a smallish cab, the Volvo FM 13 Globetrotter will be a better truck for not a lot more money. The ones with the 13 litre engine will do big mileages with very little trouble. The Renault has the 11 litre volvo engine, they go very well and are economical, but I’m not sure how many times they’ll do a round trip to the moon! The rear suspension on VOLVOs is much better, being a four bag arrangement on both axles behind the cab. As far as electrical and ad blue issues go, the Renault are not too good, the Volvo not much better but in my experience it’s a better truck
Your pays your money - - - -. Good luck with it anyway!!

John summed up Renault well good engine but electrics ain’t good

For all makes of that age ,you need to think about the CAT …due to the job of a CAT converting NOX .from the first turn of the key in the factory it is being poisoned and on a downward spiral…DAF wise ,well we have the normal Wiring issues ,cab over check the state of the looms where the cab tilts ,take the cover of the cab interface under the grill see what state the loom is in there …The thing that we are seeing more of with older vehicles is NOX sensors failing ,believe it or not they are showing up as the weak link in the ad blue system …Engine wise ,check if it has had a titanium turbo fitted ,if not walk away or negotiate ,The nickel plated turbo suffers from low cycle fatigue ,which when it fails generally ends up with a bent conrod ,number 6 cylinder ,broken liner ,a intercooler filled with oil ,and a knackered cat also filled with oil.So it is expensive .Spring eye bushes is another point that can be weak depending on the model and its use …So far the Titanium turbo has been 99% bullet proof …I personally haven’t seen 1 fail ,but no doubt somewhere 1 has …Plus point of the DAF is the size of the dealer network and availability of spares .&day with DAFaid if you have an account with a dealer…They aren’t perfect and an older truck no matter what make will have issues depending on how it has been driven,maintained etc…I think a problem nowdays is that you have certain companies whos vehicles you wouldn’t touch with a barge pole ,but with more vehicles being wrapped ,once the wrap is off there is no tell tale signs of who had it …

I do think the Renault is a hidden gem but badge snobbery puts people off them ,though their back up isn’t what it should be in the uk…I along with others techs from DAF did a day with DAF learning how to drive them properly ,but more importantly they had other brands there for us to evaluate ,what we thought was good and bad ad what DAF could utilise etc …And on the day I was there we did rate the Renault ,we weren’t allowed to pick the DAF LOL …I personally had the Renault as the pick of the bunch ,cheap price ,but with a Volvo engine and gearbox ,to be honest no one rated the Scania was old and outdated …We where fortunate in that we had all the brands there at the same time and could compare them at the same time …So w may have thought the Scania seat was comfortable but then after sitting in the Renault we realised it wasn’t …So it was really a excellent day