Truck Speed

I’ve recently purchased a Scania truck and it goes pretty slow the tracker shows 54.1 and the tracker is only 0.5 mph out. The trucks shows 90kmh on the dash so what can I do to bring it up?

Get it recalibrated. Use an independent rather than a main dealer, as they’re cheaper and I don’t trust main dealer calibration as they have an incentive to make the trucks slower, as to trick the fuel figures in the manufacturers favour. Use a set of ■■■■■■■■■■■■ recuts for the maximum gains

A few years ago i had an 04 Renault euro3 & that was slow on the limiter took to main agents said it was set to maximum speed then went to have tachograph analog calibrated 2 or 6 year i cant remember but the tacho center were able to recalibrate the speed limiter and the lorry was back up tp 90kph

Ok thank you both for your help! I will approach my maintenance garage who also does tacho work and ask them to have a look at it.
Also on a side note does the higher the K factor mean higher the speed?

Yes if the k/w factor is increased the vehicle will be faster

OVLOV JAY:
Get it recalibrated. Use an independent rather than a main dealer, as they’re cheaper and I don’t trust main dealer calibration as they have an incentive to make the trucks slower, as to trick the fuel figures in the manufacturers favour. Use a set of ■■■■■■■■■■■■ recuts for the maximum gains

I don’t know where you heard that one about dealers and manufacturers fuel figures…But it made me laugh…Our rollers and programmer is automated to cut it down short when we get to the rolling road side …we press a button that say guess what rolling road …We then accelerate to 50kph ,whilst the programmers measures the tyre L FACTOR ,once that figure has been calculated it then calculates the K / W FACTOR ,its next instruction is to stop the vehicle as it sends the figure to the tacho…So there is no manual input whatsoever by the lad doing the tacho…The equiptment is checked /calibrated every 6 months by an outside agency …So I think that story should stay in the RDC waiting room :smiley: :smiley: :unamused:

norb:

OVLOV JAY:

I don’t know where you heard that one about dealers and manufacturers fuel figures…But it made me laugh…Our rollers and programmer is automated to cut it down short when we get to the rolling road side …we press a button that say guess what rolling road …We then accelerate to 50kph ,whilst the programmers measures the tyre L FACTOR ,once that figure has been calculated it then calculates the K / W FACTOR ,its next instruction is to stop the vehicle as it sends the figure to the tacho…So there is no manual input whatsoever by the lad doing the tacho…The equiptment is checked /calibrated every 6 months by an outside agency …So I think that story should stay in the RDC waiting room :smiley: :smiley: :unamused:

No rdc bull, every truck we’ve had from our local Volvo dealers has done 54mph flat out, showing 56mph. Got told that by the bloke doing the 2 year check on my last truck. They won’t address the problem as they like the false fuel readings as it brings punters back every year with another million or two. 2mph out is worth almost 0.8mpg in the dealers favour. I’m not saying it’s every dealer, just what I’ve seen first hand with our local dealers. To be fair, most volvos that come out of crossroads seem to be flying machines, as do all the dafs, mans and renaults in our area. Usually if you see a Volvo on a Kent registration, under 2 years old, you’ll fly past it :wink:

OLVOV JAY …As you know the laws surrounding tachos and the ■■■■ involved if you ■■■■ up …I personally will not do anyone be it a customer or manufacturer if I was ever asked a “favour” and manually alter L or K factors…What the rolling road /programmer says it is does me fine …We have a customer who when we do his tacho ,used to come back in the next day complaining ,surprisingly he had changed his wheels and put on wheels with worn tyres …Lets say when I found out what he was up to I soon put his game in to touch ,as he said we had ■■■■■■ up and wanted it re done ,when clearly we hadn’t …As afterwards he would then refit the original wheels …Even though the vehicles are on contract he requests we don’t do the tacho if it needs doing lol…The problem with satnavs is they are not "calibrated /approved " so what it says is irrelevant ,My sat nav and car don’t tally up .but I don’t think alfa would entertain me if I defected it …Daf in all my time have never asked a dealer to alter a tacho to make mpg look good .

our tacho lad wont do the tacho with tread depth less than 2 mm

OVLOV JAY:

norb:

OVLOV JAY:

No rdc bull, every truck we’ve had from our local Volvo dealers has done 54mph flat out, showing 56mph. Got told that by the bloke doing the 2 year check on my last truck. They won’t address the problem as they like the false fuel readings as it brings punters back every year with another million or two. 2mph out is worth almost 0.8mpg in the dealers favour. I’m not saying it’s every dealer, just what I’ve seen first hand with our local dealers. To be fair, most volvos that come out of crossroads seem to be flying machines, as do all the dafs, mans and renaults in our area. Usually if you see a Volvo on a Kent registration, under 2 years old, you’ll fly past it :wink:

How comes your mob get them from Kent mc is on your door

MC group was formed from the original company, Maidstone Commercials which started in Aylesford over 30 years ago.

OVLOV JAY:

I’ve heard advice re this tactic before. Yes, screws an extra mph or so out.

What I don’t get is how, when I’m sat at a genuine 55mph (must be genuine as I’m over taking caravans :grimacing: ) why do I regularly see the Irish and Scottish boys stonking past me in their millennium falcons, clocking in at warp factor 9…?!

Must be the red diesel…or the sniff…
:wink:

kr79:

OVLOV JAY:

norb:

OVLOV JAY:

How comes your mob get them from Kent mc is on your door

We buy them from mc in Thurrock, but all their new trucks are registered, pdi’d and calibrated at Hythe

So you think a 30 quid “tracker” is more accurate than a 30 grand calibrated rolling road that gives a physical dynamic reading of tyre circumference to tacho read out ?

So do you believe the “pixies” in the sky nobody has ever seen or pure hard physical evidence? clearly you choose the former.

norb:

OVLOV JAY:

+1

el_presidente:

OVLOV JAY:

What I don’t get is how, when I’m sat at a genuine 55mph (must be genuine as I’m over taking caravans :grimacing: ) why do I regularly see the Irish and Scottish boys stonking past me in their millennium falcons, clocking in at warp factor 9…?!

Its called fiddle,They test them on little tyres then put full size tyres on after.Not rocket science is it.And why not.WTF has an extra 10 klicks on a motorway got to do with safety.
If they want"safety"first thing they should ban is cruise control.

Bking:

el_presidente:

OVLOV JAY:

Its called fiddle,They test them on little tyres then put full size tyres on after.Not rocket science is it.And why not.WTF has an extra 10 klicks on a motorway got to do with safety.

1.red diesel is green from eire…

1. a wee visit to the local wizzard gets you anything up to 65 and showing 56 on the trace.
    3.a must make the boat button is an obligatory addition to anyone chasing boats or on fridge work,hence keep your elbows in when you see the choochters and donegal mafia coming. :smiley:
    4 geting the tacho set on baldies then fitting new tyres only works till the new wears off…easier paying a visit to the tacho wizzard. :slight_smile:
    5 its a bit less obvious filling up with the kitty litter cleaned derv and not red…just throw in a touch of oil into each tank and keep everything sweet. :wink:

Well mc truck at hythe must have it right. Just means 90% of other truck calibrators are wrong, and allowing all the trucks to do 58/59 mph. Yeah that must be it, the majority must be wrong, not the handful we have :unamused:

dieseldog999:

Bking:

el_presidente:

OVLOV JAY:

1.red diesel is green from eire…

1. a wee visit to the local wizzard gets you anything up to 65 and showing 56 on the trace.
    3.a must make the boat button is an obligatory addition to anyone chasing boats or on fridge work,hence keep your elbows in when you see the choochters and donegal mafia coming. :smiley:
    4 geting the tacho set on baldies then fitting new tyres only works till the new wears off…easier paying a visit to the tacho wizzard. :slight_smile:
    5 its a bit less obvious filling up with the kitty litter cleaned derv and not red…just throw in a touch of oil into each tank and keep everything sweet. :wink:

Even sweeter 25 litres of kerosene (paraffin or"jet fuel") and a litre of hydraulic oil to lube the injectors and your cooking on gas.This stuff is “white” so you dont even need any kitty litter.
Happy days.

Scania tacho is off 2 kms from the factory. I asked why ? They said thay must be sure that it never runs faster than legal speed even if tyre size changes due to tolerances from different manufacturers. In Finland they dont use rollers but test track that is calibrated too short to stay in their safe zone. Then their trip computer fuel rate is calibrated to show 10% less fuel consumption than real life…

Yes, use worn out regrooved tyres and pressure dropped to 1 bar when you go to calibrate your tacho, then you get about 2 km/h extra.