Operators cpc

So I have the cpc international course and exam booked for end of august.

Can anyone give me some helpful resources to get stuck into so I don’t turn up completely clueless. I already have lowes transport managers handbook for this year but just aimlessly reading it cover to cover can’t be the only way to learn what I need.

Cheers in advance.

You shouldn’t need to pre-study of you are active in the industry. It’s all common sense really. All the relevant materials will be provided on your course.

If you are eager though get the three government publications. GV74 guide to operator licencing, gv262■■? Guide to tachograph regs and the guide to maintaining road worthiness. Have a read through those a few times before you go.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Nice one cheers

I’m booked into a 12 day course so everything should be covered there too, just didn’t want the money net to be wasted by not being prepared.

Who are you doing it with?

Get on the web & download some past papers,
They will give you an idea of what is required.

You can get the R1 questions & answers & get the missus to test you (multiple choice)
You can download the R2 papers & examiners reports - this’ll get you an idea of how they expect you to answer

Not sure exactly who’s delivering the course but it’s being set up by a third party company called ctp. They are a career transition company with courses in pretty much anything you want.

I’ve been active in the industry for 2 years now but only part time. I’m in class one every weekend and whenever I have a few weeks off my main job I spend it all driving, wether it be for a specific company or just grabbing what I can from agencies. I know the basics, all the usual rules and regs any other driver should know, and I have learnt a bit from the operators handbook too but I’m flapping and want to revise as much as possible instead of wasting my money.

Toddy2:
Get on the web & download some past papers,
They will give you an idea of what is required.

You can get the R1 questions & answers & get the missus to test you (multiple choice)
You can download the R2 papers & examiners reports - this’ll get you an idea of how they expect you to answer

I’m probably just being too lazy for my own good here, but could you point me in the direction of past papers? Cheers.

A quick google search has thrown one up.

I’ll stop being lazy lol.

Saw a post about eos home study pack? Worth grabbing or waste of money?

I did this one
cpc4you.co.uk

I did a revision day here
www.novadata.co.uk/Manager-CPC

If your course is the end of August you won’t be able to take the exam until September I believe

Someone please say if I am wrong but IIRC the exams are held 4 times a year and the next ones are June 16 or Sep (10th?)

Best of luck with it anyway

good_friend:
If your course is the end of August you won’t be able to take the exam until September I believe

Someone please say if I am wrong but IIRC the exams are held 4 times a year and the next ones are June 16 or Sep (10th?)

You are right, Multi Choice exams are set by the training provider. Case Studies exams are the first Friday in each quarter, (calendar, not fiscal).

good_friend:

The course starts Aug 31 but I don’t think the last day is till the 15th of September so I reckon it’ll be done around then. I hope so anyway! Got ADR booked for the week after lol

Hinton:

good_friend:

The course starts Aug 31 but I don’t think the last day is till the 15th of September so I reckon it’ll be done around then. I hope so anyway! Got ADR booked for the week after lol

I would check if I were you that your case studies exam isn’t in December. They tend to be 1st Friday of the quarter which would put you up to your eyes in Costings just as other candidates are entering the exam room. My exam was 04/03/17 which would make the q3 exam 1st week in September.

Also if you can do it the other way round it will help you. Do your ADR first, then your cpc. A) because some of the stuff you learn about on you TM CPC might not be how the sqa want it worded and B) because getting the ADR out the way and done will give you an easier ride when it comes to ADR, ATP, AGR etc which all come in one fairly hefty module late in the TM course.

Just got more info.

Course is OCR and both exams are being held on the 15th of sept. Also told me that I’ll get an eos study folder at the start… so I’m really glad I forked out for one two days ago lol.

Oh well. Better to be over prepared.

I booked both courses last month and can’t budge on the dates, would have liked to do ADR first but hey ho. Such is life. Pretty happy it’s going to cover my 35hrs for cpc though, kill two birds and all that.

The OCR course is a doddle. You take your notes in and it’s a lower pass mark than City and Guilds, though I hear they are a fan of throwing in a trick question or two. Read the question, that’s all the advice you will need.

nsmith1180:
The OCR course is a doddle. You take your notes in and it’s a lower pass mark than City and Guilds, though I hear they are a fan of throwing in a trick question or two. Read the question, that’s all the advice you will need.

I’m glad you say so! Everyone my end keeps banging on about a low pass rate and a really hard course, I’m reading lowes handbook back to back, studying 2 hours a night (and reading every time I’m on the thrown of course), I was starting to think 3 months wasn’t enough time to prepare.

I know it’s tough otherwise every driver would get it, and I won’t back off the studying, just refreshing to hear lol

I did the City and Guilds course, the only things you were allowed in the exam was the GV74, Gv262 and the tachograph book from DVSA. And it was a 70% pass mark. I understand OCR is much lower.

Yeah I think ocr is around 50% pass mark on both exams, no books or references for the multiple choice but open book for the case study (I’ll be walking in with a bloody library! Lol).

I have the past papers from march and it all seems do able.

All this effort just because in ten years I MIGHT be able to afford to buy an old premium and earn a drivers wage with an owners stress level lol.

Hinton:
I’ll be walking in with a bloody library! Lol

You’re only permitted to take the 3 official DVSA Guidelines that your training provider should issue you.

I breezed through mine at the end of last year after an 8 day course with FTA, their training was excellent. There were a number of candidates in my group that walked in with zero knowledge of the industry and walked out with the qualification, just try not to over complicate things, if your knowledge of the 3 core areas (Operator Licensing, Drivers Hours & Roadworthiness) is strong enough you’ll be fine.

Guys

Is there an alternative route to TM qualifications? Has anyone done course with CILT?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk