Looking For Advice

So i m booking my CPC Manager course this week with the outlook of running a truck. Now i m not one of these delusional people that thinks within a year i ll be able to go buy a 5 bed house in cash whilst having a 700bhp scania covered in Kelsa kit on the driveway next to my brand new Porsche. This is just something i really want to do the company i work for runs a lot of things in and around the UK and Europe but not enough to warrant our own vehicle but luckily my boss has said if i can run it and find enough work for it to break even he s happy to give it a go and buy a truck out right no finance. I have a morrisons distribution centre up the road from me and have noticed a lot of sub drivers in there so i just wondered if anyone new roughly the rates for morrisons just so i can do some rough calculations. I know that the big money will come from doing our own stuff in the savings we will make.

You don’t need to know Morrisons or anyone elses rates. You need to know your costs and acceptable profit margin as your start point. As a general guide though big companies like Morrisons will be very demanding, pay low rates because everybody targets them for volumes and late payments are the norm.

The other thing that strikes me, and I stress I have no knowledge of supermarket work, is that with one truck, you have to hope that Morrison’s will give you work when you are quiet. Generally , customers prefer a haulier that can do the work on the days they want.

Part of your O licence training will cover truck costs etc so that should start you off

IMO I should work out your costs on the guaranteed work that you have for your company and then anything in addition is a bonus

You could also contact any other small owner/operator set ups and hope that when you are quiet they are busy and vice versa. You could also rent to start with rather than splash out a load of cash and have it not work out as expected