Mans with scania gearbox

New mans at 460/500hp now use a scania box. Are they any better or is it too soon to tell. What else have they changed apart from go and box.

ellies dad:
New mans at 460/500hp now use a scania box. Are they any better or is it too soon to tell. What else have they changed apart from go and box.

Have MAN a complete new model out as our new TGX480s arrived Xmas2016 and still have AS-Tronic??

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I heard this was going to happen soon, but was told they were to be fitted to 2 axle tractors first and no plans at the time to be fitted to the typical 6x2 Brit spec, but that might now be old news.

Is it going to be better, well depends, if its the latest Scanny box as fitted to the new Swede i am told (might have been ■■■■■■■■ of course) the layshaft is now fitted with a brake to speed up gearchanges, and the box desperately needed some help there.

If its the previous box then in fully auto mode i haven’t found a great difference between them to be honest with the Scanny slightly faster in autochanging, but Arsetronic from experience on our fleet is much more durable for a long service life, swings and roundabouts.

Where the old Scanny box does beat Arsetronic hands down is in manual mode, Scanny box responds instantly and accurately to manual input making it really quite pleasurable to drive like that, pleasurable is not a term one could reasonably ever use with the other box, but there is no denying ArseT is very reliable.
Depending on its programming, if it has, like in Scanny, the option of normal M and MH or MP, try manual changing in the two different modes, in Scannies the box changes noticeably quicker in MH/P than it does in simple M.

I’d certainly like to try one out, Arsetronic, and to be fair most other automated manual boxes (Volvo excepted), have spoiled otherwise quite decent working lorries, but the use of such boxes has stopped dummies wrecking clutches and boxes, so dumbing the job down has worked in that respect, pity such action was ever needed though :unamused:

I went past a parked up 17 plate TGX 500 6x2 this morning, and from the look of the gearbox through the gap in the catwalk it still had the ZF fitted.

Apart from the different power rating on the doors the newer trucks are easily recognisable from the black man cat badge on the grill. It used to be all chrome.

I’d heard they were using Volvo boxes :confused:

What is the point in just uprating the engine horse by 20hp and not change pretty much anything else??
Are they claiming they have been revamped!!!

Big Truck:
What is the point in just uprating the engine horse by 20hp and not change pretty much anything else??
Are they claiming they have been revamped!!!

Most of the time they uprate the power slightly to compensate for the strangled performance of modern engines using low emissions technology

It might be a scania gearbox but Man are using there own software with it so it will probably still be crap

HI All

The MAN range have all been upgrated by 20 hp, 440 is now 460, 480 is now 500, both are 12L engines, 520 is now 540 and 560 is now 580 - there’s also a 640 and everything over 500hp are 16L engines.

The engines are now rated as Euro 6c rather than Euro 6 - better on fuel again!

All now have a different grill with two bars across the big mouth of the Euro 6

The cab is also trimmed differently and the lower half of the dash board is now beige - similar to Mercedes

A lot of the older models are kicking about still to be registered so both models will still appear as ‘new’

K

Juddian:
I’d certainly like to try one out, Arsetronic, and to be fair most other automated manual boxes (Volvo excepted), have spoiled otherwise quite decent working lorries, but the use of such boxes has stopped dummies wrecking clutches and boxes, so dumbing the job down has worked in that respect, pity such action was ever needed though :unamused:

Now Isn’t that the truth my learned friend.

OVLOV JAY:
I’d heard they were using Volvo boxes :confused:

Scania & MAN both have the same parent company (VW Group) so share some components… If you look at the headlight arrangement on the new Scania, you’ll see it looks similar the latest VW range…

Scania have been providing MAN with gearboxes for a few months already (LHD trucks anyway)…

Juddian ,I have some good news for you ,AS Tronic is being phased out ,It is being replaced with the new Traxon …I think it will have a twin clutch set up like certain car ,so it can be in 2 gears at once,and it only needs to change clutches ,so it should speed up changes ,but wether it will get confused at roundabouts and junction time will tell,Though if it has the inbuilt sat nav in the electronics ,then it should be ok

norb:
Juddian ,I have some good news for you ,AS Tronic is being phased out ,It is being replaced with the new Traxon …I think it will have a twin clutch set up like certain car ,so it can be in 2 gears at once,and it only needs to change clutches ,so it should speed up changes ,but wether it will get confused at roundabouts and junction time will tell,Though if it has the inbuilt sat nav in the electronics ,then it should be ok

Thats very good news Norb, apart from the inbuilt sat nav bit :neutral_face:
I will speak up for Arsetronic though in that this new box has a very respectable reliability and durability record to live up to (even if the driving experience could be a little er frustrating), so let us hope it’s more durable than the car we might both be thinking of :wink:

norb:

I’ve a car with dual-clutch and find it really nice to drive. Going up the box especially you just see the revs drop as it changes, you don’t feel it.
As has been said though it’s all in the programming and presumably test driver feedback. Often wondered if a driver trained on a particular box finds it better than a driver just given it and told to get on with it?

Munchkin:

norb:

I’ve a car with dual-clutch and find it really nice to drive. Going up the box especially you just see the revs drop as it changes, you don’t feel it.
As has been said though it’s all in the programming and presumably test driver feedback. Often wondered if a driver trained on a particular box finds it better than a driver just given it and told to get on with it?

Absolutely not knocking the driveability and speed of dual clutch boxes (apart from junctions/maneuvers), but in car form they haven’t exactly proved durable long term, ZF to be fair made a bloody reliable box in arsetronic even if it seriously annoying/frustrating at times for the driver, if the new one is as reliable and durable and drives well they could have a show stopper on their hands.

I.ve driven a MAN with the Traxon gearbox and its night and day different to AStronic, i would actually consider buying one and i swore i would never have another automatic