Driver rates of pay nationally

Hello

Trying to benchmark the rates of pay of our drivers against others nationally.

It would be great if I could get an idea who pays what for the following…any help would be massively appreciated :slight_smile:

And also if they are standard 1.5 after 8 hour / Saturday (or 6th shift)

I have depots in

Glasgow
Walkden (Manchester)
Cannock
Avonmouth
Enfield

We employ the following types of driving classes

Class 1 - Days
Class 1 - Nights
Class 2 - Days
Class 2 - Nights
7.5t - Days
3.5t - Days

This is for my place in Leicester not sure on other rates at their other depots that they have spread around the UK I’d assume it’s same rates.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Is this part of your business plan,to ask on the internet how much to pay your drivers? :open_mouth:

xichrisxi:
Is this part of your business plan,to ask on the internet how much to pay your drivers? :open_mouth:

Haha maybe trying to see if he can get away paying min wage

I very much translate the op to…my boss has asked me to reduce costs, lets see what’s the lowest I can get away with paying my drivers in the areas we operate.

Sorry to dissapoint but quite the opposite! The plan is very much to make our pay rates competitive and make sure we are paying market rate.

This is whether we pay too low not too much!

Very much about staff retention.

We have a warehouse to wheels scheme and have invested massively in car licence to class 2 and 1 but find in the north west we struggle to retain class 1s after their training cost agreement is spent… we only operate Monday to Friday and some good for the bigger bucks and work weekends or shifts elsewhere.

Whereas in Enfield where we have a 7.5 tonnes home delivery operation we find we retain staff but there’s always the pushing for more money!

Like I said it’s about ‘are we currently paying too low?’

Set your own precedent then .

Have you tried asking those leaving for the “bigger bucks” what their being offered? That would be where I would start

My place has just scrapped warehouse to wheels it was costing them too much apparently

Put them on a salary instead of hourly rate. Make it a good salary, not a “competitive” one! You already seem to be competing with other companies and LOSING!! A good salary, with proper kit to work with, excellent holiday, pension and employment terms should make for a happy and LOYAL work force! Be selective with who you employ and make it clear why you are being so selective, IE good salary, terms and conditions etc. Make your company the one that everyone wants to work for. It will take investment (money :open_mouth: ) but it would pay you back in the long run.
Or you can just stay as you are, pay a tad above the basic minimum and keep scratching your head wondering why you have a such a turn over of drivers!

Ask Lucy. There was a survey done about wages a while ago. (Click on Members at top right of page. Lucy appears in red as an administrator)

A warehouse/other employees to driving type scheme is in my experience indicative of an employer who struggles to keep drivers in the first place, so you’d be better addressing that as opposed to just further feeding the stream.

dave_k:
A warehouse/other employees to driving type scheme is in my experience indicative of an employer who struggles to keep drivers in the first place, so you’d be better addressing that as opposed to just further feeding the stream.

Opposite at my place people rarely leave but they started the scheme a good few years back and have now officially finished it because it was costing them too much apparently even though they do everything bar the test.

We pay the same rate for site in the North west and Herts. Vans are 9.01, Class 1,£11.85. £5.00 daily meal allowance, time and a third overtime. Double Sunday’s and BH. BH + 1,day in lieu. Paid breaks. Provided they make it past the first year, no one ever leaves.

FWIW, my opinion is that it’s not only wages that makes drivers stay or leave. Our lot rarely do more than one drop a day, one a week if they are abroad. No real handballing, so in comparison to multi drop, it’s easy work, though sometimes long hours. Our customers are on the whole decent enough, to the point where we sometimes get asked to pass on thanks.

Secondly it’s the culture of the firm. We aren’t bothering our drivers every ten minutes, most of them have been with me that long they are more like family, so a good working relationship counts a long way.

Not saying you are or aren’t cuddly as an employer, just musing a bit.

I’m in Warrington and I’m on £12.30 an hour. I get £0.75 an hour if I start before 4am and get it for full shift. I get £0.25 per hour extra after 45 hours and paid breaks. Who are you operating for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albion:
We pay the same rate for site in the North west and Herts. Vans are 9.01, Class 1,£11.85. £5.00 daily meal allowance, time and a third overtime. Double Sunday’s and BH. BH + 1,day in lieu. Paid breaks. Provided they make it past the first year, no one ever leaves.

FWIW, my opinion is that it’s not only wages that makes drivers stay or leave. Our lot rarely do more than one drop a day, one a week if they are abroad. No real handballing, so in comparison to multi drop, it’s easy work, though sometimes long hours. Our customers are on the whole decent enough, to the point where we sometimes get asked to pass on thanks.

Secondly it’s the culture of the firm. We aren’t bothering our drivers every ten minutes, most of them have been with me that long they are more like family, so a good working relationship counts a long way.

Not saying you are or aren’t cuddly as an employer, just musing a bit.

I remember ages ago not sure if it was a study or a report but it was stated the number one reason drivers leave was not the actual job but the staff/manager in the transport office.

Having worked at Concorde Logistics and being spoken to like a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ after a long day it’s no surprising they struggle to keep staff. The wage and job was not so bad.

So imo find a wage that’s slightly above average and depending on workload then make sure you have the right staff in the office that are polite but ultimately know how to talk to people.

One issue I see often is when your told to do something rather then asked. If you’re told to do something like ‘You’ve gotta go there and collect so and so’ compared to ‘Can you go to so and so and collect this Please’

The wording and how it’s said makes all the difference to the reaction you’ll get.

It’s pretty basic, isn’t it? Talk to people the way you want to be spoken to.

albion:
It’s pretty basic, isn’t it? Talk to people the way you want to be spoken to.

It is however I think the power gets to some people and they just let it get to their heads.

Wont dare mention what im on then

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

tomo3607:
Wont dare mention what im on then

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Is that because your on crap money or are you one of these on £200 an hour for 2 drop a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk