DAF XF 460 or MAN TGX.440 (first truck)

Hi all,

I am interested in your opinions between these tractor units, and what are your opinions. This is the first truck of my own I am getting, and after long hours of consideration I have come to these two. Which one would you guys recommend?

I am mostly going to be using it for container work inside the Netherlands, and maybe Germany/Belgium. Both of the trucks I am looking at are 2014 registration year. Let me know your opinions, and forgive me if I am missing something :smiley:

It just goes to show that tastes differ. When I sat down to pick which model I would go for when I ordered my first unit, DAF and MAN were the only two I refuse to consider!

Obviously your market will differ from ours but over here the DAF will offer better residual value but would also encourage you to interact with the DAF dealer network who are not shining examples of quality and service.

MAN on the other hand would b e cheaper to buy, probably come with better a support as MAN are doing a big push on service at the moment and us at least based on a concept which isn’t 40 years old.

Of the two I would probably go for the MAN but I were you, I’d go back and reconsider Mercedes and Volvo, both are better trucks and both offer stronger residuals and quality of service.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:
I’d go back and reconsider Mercedes and Volvo, both are better trucks and both offer stronger residuals and quality of service.

And both cost considerably more than a MAN of the same age, lots of factors in buying a first truck and available funds often leads first time buyers to a MAN

chaversdad:

nsmith1180:
I’d go back and reconsider Mercedes and Volvo, both are better trucks and both offer stronger residuals and quality of service.

And both cost considerably more than a MAN of the same age, lots of factors in buying a first truck and available funds often leads first time buyers to a MAN

Yes, the main reason to my choice coming between these two is the price, and the funds that I have available at the moment. Otherwise I would go for a Volvo or Mercedes.

The reason I hesitate about the MAN is the D26 engine problems that they had with the Euro 5 TGX.440. Are there the similar issues with the 2014 Euro 6 model, and can it be relied upon?

I drive (not own) an EGR 440 MAN, yes it has had a few waterworks problems but apart from that and a clutch at 500k (thrust bearing disintegrates, look out for excessive clutch judder and get it done before it fails) its been virtually trouble free for well over 600k, more reliable than many of the so called premium makes we have, good on fuel too if you ignore the bloody stupid (but very reliable) arsetronic gearbox and change gear yourself which improves progress and therefore fuel noticeably.

If you get one with adblu, they are supposed to be trouble free, as is the 480.

Juddian:
I drive (not own) an EGR 440 MAN, yes it has had a few waterworks problems but apart from that and a clutch at 500k (thrust bearing disintegrates, look out for excessive clutch judder and get it done before it fails) its been virtually trouble free for well over 600k, more reliable than many of the so called premium makes we have, good on fuel too if you ignore the bloody stupid (but very reliable) arsetronic gearbox and change gear yourself which improves progress and therefore fuel noticeably.

If you get one with adblu, they are supposed to be trouble free, as is the 480.

Thanks for the comment Juddian. I have not been considering MANs at all, however i might have a look now at adblue / 480 versions…

If I mind correctly, the Dutch spec MAN 440 was different from the model supplied in the UK.
The residual value of a MAN is peanuts, but it is a decent truck.
Both makes seem to have a problem with interior quality, thing drop or break from their fittings.
The DAF has certainly the premium bed.

I,would consider other options, 1 is Renault Premium, the other is hiring of a used truck from the dealer.
Many dealers offer good deals, including everything except insurance, fuel and damage to truck and tyres.
It will leave you some hard needed cash in the bank and gives you the flexibility to change specification if your customer base change.
And on top of that, you know what your fixed cost are going to be every month / week.

I’m a driver not an owner. Our fleet has no MANs so I won’t comment on them. We have several DAFs with 460 engnes, including 2014 models. I’ve heard of no major problems with any of them. Twice we’ve had front wheel bearings fail but that’s the a quick cheap fix and done under guarantee anyway.
I personally hate the auto box and would go for a manual every time but as Juddian has said the ‘arsetronic’ is long lived. Manual boxes are trouble free too in 16 speed form.
Fuel is comparable to Iveco, Renault, Scania. The DAF intarder is a brilliant bit of kit for work in mountain areas, keeping brake maintenance down, allowing higher speed safe downhill runs and so using less fuel running up after. Not too much use if you’re staying in Holland though!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Edit At 2014 you’ll be avoiding the latest Euro6 rubbish thats now being fitted. So no maintenance costs on that.

daf all day long, MAN will let number 4 rod come through the block at sometime or another