O licence question

If you are running traction only - pulling someone elses trailers - do you have to have trailers on

1. Operating licence
  2. Operating centre
  1. Yes
    2 . depends where you park them

there was a case in CM recently where a haulier had been “advised” by a TC that they needed to be on the O licence

If I haven’t “filed” that copy I’ll post any more details I can find - later

Its unbelievable but you can apply for an operator license for one unit and then they will go through the application etc and give you the license but they will prosecute you for having no trailer license. They are the ones who give you the ■■■■■■■■ license for ONE UNIT ! Incompetence at its best

welcome back kerbdog, where you been??

paul

I remember this one being a complex issue at the time when i applied for my O license back in 1999…for one Unit.

I phoned VOSA (or whatever name they had that day) & put it to them, that any trailer i towed, or parked at my op. centre, would already be covered on the trailer owners license.
They were quite vaque i recall & unable to give a definitave answer, so in the end i put one trailer on aswell just to be sure I was covered.

I thought I remember reading in CM that if you are pulling pulling traction triailers you must have a trailer or trailers specificed on your O licence.

The guy I used to work for part time did traction and I know he had units and trailers on his O licence.

If I said bin bag would I need to say more ?

I would say no…

On traction only you would NOT be the operator of the trailer, the trailer would be specified on the owners O licence

The O licence allows you to operate your own trailers. pulling someone elses is not the same.

Denis F:
there was a case in CM recently where a haulier had been “advised” by a TC that they needed to be on the O licence

If I haven’t “filed” that copy I’ll post any more details I can find - later

found it ! ! it was in Jan issue of Trucking - filed at the back of my cab!!

Julie, if you want I could mail it to you - send me a PM if that’s any help

Thanks Denis

Current Operator Vehicle Licensing regulations are discriminating against truck dealers and repairers, says the Retail Motor Industry Federation. Although Section 45 of the Road Traffic Act 1998 permits truck dealers to transfer ‘rigid’ vehicles operated by their customers, it prevents them from using their own tractor units to transport customer-owned trailers to and from testing stations, unless they have an Operator Licence.

The RMI intends to lobby Government for an exemption. Following long negotiations with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), the RMI secured a decision that, it says, should give dealers some respite.

Pulham said: “VOSA has decided that a dealer can use a tractor unit temporarily in its possession, such as a stock vehicle, to take a trailer to a testing station on trade plates.”

However, VOSA stresses that a garage operating its own tractor unit cannot use trade plates and is subject to Operator Licensing requirements.
Pulham commented: “The implication for businesses is significant if they are obliged to take out a full national operator licence. We believe there is a case for stating that a semi-trailer with a fifth wheel arguably constitutes a single vehicle, and should be treated no differently from a rigid vehicle.”

Malc, s comment: I suppose when the law makers and spokesmen of the industry believe a trailer is fitted with a fifth wheel then there is no hope for the rest of us.

Story found in auto industry news.

Denis F:

1. Yes
    2 . depends where you park them

I think Denis is right. If you park the trailers at your operating centre then they should go on the O licence. :confused:
You don’t have to be the owner of a vehicle to be the operator.

I know its an old post but when you apply for an o licence you have to apply for 1 truck and 1 trailer unless you are only going to run a rigid.

An owner driver with a unit still needs to have at least one trailer specified on his o licence.

The trailer operator doesnt need any type of licence , just a telephone.

The o license holder is also responsible for the trailer. if its badly maintained its you who gets done or gets a GV9 (PG9)