Volvo FH tops unique truck test

Put through the toughest tests up against six competitors, Volvo Trucks’ FH was the clear winner in German TCO-test.
Over two and a half years, the German haulage company Fehrenkötter Transport & Logistik GmbH, together with trade magazine Trans Aktuell, tested seven different heavy-duty truck models. After taking into consideration all the relevant costs: from procurement and operation to downtime and resale value – the Volvo FH finished first in the total cost of ownership (TCO) rankings.
When all costs over the 30 months were taken into consideration, the Volvo FH finished on top with a total cost of €196,151.95. Second was the DAF XF460 with €199,369.76.

Scania fail… even Iveco and Renault are better :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

full report here : Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

Probably one of the reasons as to why Samworths are changing their whole fleet to Volvo’s. 30 more arriving this year with a plan to replace 4 years then down to every 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Surprises being the performance of the DAF and Scania. The non surprise being the manufacturers whingeing about the drivers, not being able to substitute vehicles and the actual loads carried.

I think Commercial Motor did a 5 way test recently, and the Volvo FH was second, Scania first.

That was a lot less in depth though, not quite tco!

But if this test has been running for 3 years, well that’s the outgoing Scania model Vs the brand new FH right?

Scania was 450 EGR? Not offered in UK as 450 is SCR only. The Scania seems to have some issues that the dealer was poor in sorting out. Doesn’t matter how good the truck is, when it goes wrong Dealer back up makes all the difference

The article say there were problems which took Scania a long time to sort out. I am reading that as it not being a dealer issue but one the boffins failed to cure. I would assume that as soon as the chassis number was entered on the system for any of these vehicles by a dealer, then it would have flagged up automatically at sodertalje or wherever and HQ would have been on the case like a rash.

cav551:
Surprises being the performance of the DAF and Scania. The non surprise being the manufacturers whingeing about the drivers, not being able to substitute vehicles and the actual loads carried.

I read the bit about manufactures moaning, especially the driver bit, the way I understand the test the driver could pick their truck in the hope they tried to get the best out it and were sent in the manufacture training course. But the manufacturers reckon it would be better with their own test drivers, but that’s not the point these trucks will be driven by many drivers of various abilities not exclusively by their own works driver.

Also they did the figures on buying the trucks outright, maybe because of the special bodywork. But in the UK at least many trucks are on lease with an R&M contract, so residuals wouldn’t be such a major factor in the TCO, except maybe for working out the lease costs.