Have the cabotage rules changed

I don’t do a great deal of work in the uk but over the last couple of months I have noticed that a certain company from the Erith area have Polish and Lithuanian sunbbies pulling their double deck trailers up and down the M1. Now am I mistaken as how this is part of their international journey when the trailer is obviously over 4 mtrs high and just doing a pallet hub trunk

The regs seem to allow for the foreign trailer to be dropped and a domestic one picked up in its place by the foreign tractor unit which seems to be described here as the ‘motor vehicle’ of a combination,for three runs in a week.

smithbowyerclarke.co.uk/services/cabotage/

Which leaves the question of the definition of a run.IE one way of a trunk or the return run.But obviously at least one return run per week per unit.

Carryfast:
Which leaves the question of the definition of a run.IE one way of a trunk or the return run.But obviously at least one return run per week per unit.

I thought the actual regulations referred to ‘Loaded Operations’ which makes it clearer than the term ‘run’. One Collection and corresponding drop off = one loaded operation. I suppose multi-drops through in a bit of confusion here though.

nsmith1180:

Carryfast:

I thought the actual regulations referred to ‘Loaded Operations’ which makes it clearer than the term ‘run’. One Collection and corresponding drop off = one loaded operation. I suppose multi-drops through in a bit of confusion here though.

I’d guess that they’d ideally be looking for the longest return trunk/job paid by the mile they can find.IE arrive from Euro Land,drop their trailer,pick up a domestic trailer for a return trunk/run.Which logically means two seperate ‘operations’ one outward and one return.Then pick up their own trailer again and then load back to Euro Land then repeat.Bearing in mind that can be multiplied by lots of different foreign units being here and arriving and leaving at any time.In which case their ‘combined’ activeties could take a considerable proportion of the UK haulage market even under the present restrictions. :bulb:

3jobs per week but…

Very good description of how to legally use presumably cheap Euro traction. But is not possible to name uk haulier?