Direct Vision

Just wondered what anyone’s thoughts are regarding the new potential legislation for our fair capital. Is anybody thinking about buying a low entry type cab for their next motor in an attempt to future proof it a bit more?

I see that the windows in the passenger doors that were all the rage last year are now seen by “The Decision Makers” as an added distraction and nearly pointless now.

I’ve not heard anything good said about a low entry cab, but all of the accounts I’ve heard have been MMTM, or third hand at best from the local “know not a lot expert”. Just wondered if anyone had actually driven one and used it in anger? What are they like to drive? I’m not talking about live in for a week, I’m talking about use day in day out as a delivery/trunk motor, strictly no nights out. Anything to watch out for?

i wonder if they will offer a highway version with a 11 litre plus :smiley: engine and higher diff .

:laughing:

I was thinking more along the lines of a Scania P-Low Entry or a Volvo FE Low Entry, but whatever floats your boat Dan :wink:

why do the haulage industry take all this laying down, why not as a band of brothers get some back bone and stick a large surcharge on rates to those citys wanting to design trucks , to me they get told what x rail or lord mayor want and they all pile out and do it.

Another school of thought fuse, could be to be an early uptaker of technology and be one of the few games in town; and charge more for it!

How much tech do you need to cart 20 tonne of stone er sorry they do not carry that much now,19 tonne of stone ,everybody soon catches up and and it is all square again and to be fair I think it is out of hand ie a truck has to have all the stuff on to protect cyclists ,cyclists need do nothing. :slight_smile:

A coach was involved in a fatal crash with a bike last week in London.
Coaches have direct vision and I tweeted the mayor about this but revived no reply.
We run both Dennis and Mercedes direct vision dustcarts merc is more reliable but both are horrendous on fuel due to torque converter auto transmission.
I’ve heard numerous complaints about the merc econic tippers from other firms local that have them and fuel economy been one but I’m told merc will be offering a amt power shift gearbox very soon which will help.
Big problem seems to be very poor dealer support and zero ability on a rough tip

I think the low cabbed Arocs that’s coming out is a better option Kev. Did you see the pic on Facebook about it? I’m dead keen to try one.
Earthline have had to alter their livery to take into account of the passenger door windows. A 16 plate Scania they have had it retrofitted and it wrecked the signwriting. They now signwrite the tipper sides to compensate.
What was wrong with Fresnel lenses? That fad soon disappeared.

kr79:
Coaches have direct vision and I tweeted the mayor about this but revived no reply.
We run both Dennis and Mercedes direct vision dustcarts merc is more reliable but both are horrendous on fuel due to torque converter auto transmission.
I’ve heard numerous complaints about the merc econic tippers from other firms local that have them and fuel economy been one but I’m told merc will be offering a amt power shift gearbox very soon which will help.
Big problem seems to be very poor dealer support and zero ability on a rough tip

My cousin saw this he can’t work out what happend ,the bus A1 archway at a funny angle across the road ,bike under front on opposite side of road though ■■

Muckaway:
I think the low cabbed Arocs that’s coming out is a better option Kev. Did you see the pic on Facebook about it? I’m dead keen to try one.
Earthline have had to alter their livery to take into account of the passenger door windows. A 16 plate Scania they have had it retrofitted and it wrecked the signwriting. They now signwrite the tipper sides to compensate.
What was wrong with Fresnel lenses? That fad soon disappeared.

Not much to see for look-at-me-aren’t-I-clever politicians to shout about from the rooftops that it was their idea. Just simply not grandiose enough to accommodate the ego. :imp:

Yeah I’ve seen the new merc it looks better than the current Arcos as the cab was so high it looked odd with a muck body. Scania have been trailing a similar set up but I don’t think we will see a revised model until the new range is launched in construction spec.
Plenty round out way have stuck windows in and have half a phone number left.
We have had two new ones come with the window. You can’t open passenger window so if it’s raining you can’t drop window to clear it to see better.
What you are meant to see in it I don’t know as a properley set kerb mirror should cover it the area.
Them fresnel lenses seem to have gone as most are inside the doirs after opening the window.

Punchy Dan:

kr79:

My cousin saw this he can’t work out what happend ,the bus A1 archway at a funny angle across the road ,bike under front on opposite side of road though ■■

One I saw was at Mile End it seemed it hit bike behind right front wheel just before a island with lights on

Muckaway the frensell lens never started for me I thought one could lose a cyclist around the edges :question:

I very much doubt would receive a reply about it. But that’s one direct vision death compared to how many in a truck? Its hardly enough to start saying it doesn’t work… Cars have direct vision and still hit cyclists all the time, its just that with a truck its far more likely to involve a serious injury. Doing nothing isn’t an option either, because people tend to get squeamish about strawberry jam on the pavement as a regular occurrence. Keeping everything segregated is great, but rather costly on the budget, whereas getting hauliers to spec trucks that cuddle cyclist is free.(To the people making the decisions)

I don’t necessarily agree with it as a cure for a problem, but I cant see it just going away. Sadly the people that want these sorts of schemes are the ones who voting for the person trying to implement them… Fuse its always better to be ahead of the curve and let everyone catch up than be the poor ■■■■ heaving and huffing at the back trying to keep up. Those passenger door windows are now being accepted as being virtually useless by the powers that be, so what is next? Direct Vision… Sadly…

Do you have a link or image of the low cab Arocs?

There you go.

I like the look of that low cab Arocs-what are they like off road though(auto box I assume?)
It’s looking likely we are getting a new (or more likely nearly new ) 8 wheel grab as my mate finally killed the Hino(hooray!!!)
He got stuck on the wheel spinner at the tip ,jumped out to yank the hand brake on the spinner but left the lorry in gear-yes you’ve guessed it , it shot off on its own and smashed into a screener :open_mouth: smashed the cab to bits!!! At least nobody was hurt
I’ll be getting first dibs on the new one,boss is thinking Daf,I’m trying to convince him to get a P450 scania… Whatever we get it will be epsillon crane and Thompson body

I don’t know much about the new low Arocs, just saw a Twitter post from Thompsons about it. I went on the Merc truck configurator last night for my boss, tried to spec a low Arocs but it’s not on there yet. I did spec an 8w Arocs with S cab, shortest wheelbase and the 420 engine. Did similar on MANs website re TGS 35-440, boss is waiting to hear back.
The Daf configurator is crap, or it is on my phone.

Might find this interesting, sorry if posted before

transportenvironment.org/pr … oad-deaths

From Thompsons…
m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ … 6787772257