Advice for upto 7.5T business

Hi there,

I have recently been offered an opportunity to start my own business as a owner/driver, with the vehicle being an Iveco Daily (or similar) with a MAM of 6.5T.
What I don’t know is, do I require an operator’s license and need to use Tachograph? Since from everything I’ve managed to find online the vehicle kind of “unofficially” classifies as a 3.5T Van for business purposes. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places?
I have a friend who is willing to go through my business plan with me, but he is only qualified for upto 3.5T so he doesn’t have any answers for questions into higher categories, so it would be great if someone on here know’s of any issues i’ll face or a good source of info?

Much appreciated.

I can answer your tacho question , Yes you do need one any thing above 3.5t needs one and driver will need a C1 cat license and a Drivers cpc

DTKGamer:
Hi there,

I have recently been offered an opportunity to start my own business as a owner/driver, with the vehicle being an Iveco Daily (or similar) with a MAM of 6.5T.
What I don’t know is, do I require an operator’s license and need to use Tachograph? Since from everything I’ve managed to find online the vehicle kind of “unofficially” classifies as a 3.5T Van for business purposes. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places?
I have a friend who is willing to go through my business plan with me, but he is only qualified for upto 3.5T so he doesn’t have any answers for questions into higher categories, so it would be great if someone on here know’s of any issues i’ll face or a good source of info?

Much appreciated.

1. If the vehicle has a plated weight over 3.5t or an unladen weight of over 1,525kg (this vehicle will fall into these categories) you will need an operators licence.
  2. As the vehicle has a MAM exceeding 3.5t and assuming the work is not exempt from EU regulations you will need to use a tachograph.

tachograph:

DTKGamer:
Hi there,

Much appreciated.

1. If the vehicle has a plated weight over 3.5t or an unladen weight of over 1,525kg (this vehicle will fall into these categories) you will need an operators licence.
  2. As the vehicle has a MAM exceeding 3.5t and assuming the work is not exempt from EU regulations you will need to use a tachograph.

Is there some more info missing from number one as nearly all 3.5 tonne gross vans / pick ups are more than 1525 kg unladen ? I see some council still use the 1525kg in their car park regs .

Punchy Dan:

tachograph:

Is there some more info missing from number one as nearly all 3.5 tonne gross vans / pick ups are more than 1525 kg unladen ? I see some council still use the 1525kg in their car park regs .

Sorry, yes I have left something out but in my defence I was thinking purely in terms of the OPs question.

If the vehicle has a plated weight over 3.5t or if there is no plated weight and the vehicle has an unladen weight of more than 1,525kg and is used to transport goods for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business you’ll need an operators licence.

edit: Goods Vehicle Operator Licensing Guide for Operators

I Thought it was something like that :wink:

Is a daft bit of law that what is a single big van for hire & reward needs all the stuff a big truck fleet does-

O licence
Driver CPC
Transport manager (internal or external)
Tacho

But that’s the law & the fines hurt if you get caught, I know a firm just been done for £4.5k for no O licence as they didn’t realise they needed one for their big van! Bit of an expensive oversight & not sure why they didn’t know as driver had driver CPC & tacho in & calibrated so they had some bits right.

Can I ask a quick question? A mate of mine runs his own building business and has several large vans and pick up type vehicles. Im not sure of the plated weights but I would guess they are over 1.525 unladen, long wheel base, twin rear wheeled transits, transits chassis cabs with pick up drop side bodies etc, and are used to transport anything that they need, IE materials, tools, rubble, machinery etc.

Would this mean that he should have an “O” Licence, a transport manager and these vehicles should all be fitted with tachos? Also, anyone who drives them should hold a DCPC? :open_mouth:

Don’t think I want to be the one to tell him if that is so!

I’d bet they would be 3.5t vans & pick ups, they can look like much bigger tonnage vehicles.

If not then yes he’d need o licence, but no transport manager & if always within 100km no tacho. Drivers could be exempt from dcpc also.

iguana:
I’d bet they would be 3.5t vans & pick ups, they can look like much bigger tonnage vehicles.

If not then yes he’d need o licence, but no transport manager & if always within 100km no tacho. Drivers could be exempt from dcpc also.

Cheers Iguana, you could well be right, I will ask him. It was this bit… “or if there is no plated weight and the vehicle has an unladen weight of more than 1,525kg and is used to transport goods for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business you’ll need an operators licence.”… that made me think. Reading it again, the inference seems to be that the vehicle has to have NO plated weight AND it has ULW of 1.525kg. Its not either / or it has to have both, if that makes sense! :smiley:
Seems crazy that he would need an “O” Licence and all that that entails but nothing else! No TM, no tachos, no DCPC. What’s the point in having the O Licence then! Just more paperwork and rules and regs to adhere to when all he wants to do is build stuff!