1,30pounds per mile-1,40pm

albion:
Whilst having a completely different business, ie employees and two sites, I can understand that if you make enough money to keep yourself happy, then that’s fine.

In some ways, we are the same. If my main customer goes, I go, but it’s been 20 years and another three lined up from January this year. I could run myself ragged getting more work, there’s people that have done that and have 4 times my turnover, but I’m comfortable where I am more or less.

i couldn’t work for 1.30 a mile, but mine’s a different set up, be like comparing chalk and cheese.

Couldn’t agree more, each of us is different and run different businesses, the only reason that I have ‘bared my soul’ in such a fashion is to try and show that in certain circumstances it is possible to make a decent living on relatively low rates.

I get a bit fed up of people, usually with little experience, telling me that I cannot run on rates such as these.

Obviously in no way would it be possible to operate your own trailers on spot hire, or even on contract, at these rates and whilst I have used the figures quoted as an example I do not run on a £/mile basis but always work out the figures and they include all mileage.