Stralis XP HiWay

Hi all,

Much to my chagrin, (I was hoping for a Benz) Iveco have come in as the most competitive on pricing for lease on a new vehicle. I don’t have any experience of Stralis though so can someone give me an operators eye view of the Stralis, preferably the new XP version. Also, what are they HiWay’s like to live with??

Was there a massive difference in the price? They do say you get what you pay. I don’t run Iveco’s but my dad had one he got really cheap about 5 years ago and it was never ending trouble, you can’t have a motor down losing work but then again I know people who run a fleet of just Iveco’s but my gut says stick to what you know a lease is a fairly long time and you want a reliable truck behind you my guy is always getting anywhere between 10-12 mpg on my Actros

I run a 14 plate on driver training. Top spec fully loaded 480 previously used by Iveco for shows. Had a king pin at 15k kms (unbelievable!) but no other problems. Beautiful fully loaded truck that I’d be happy to live in a week at a time.

Aware my use is far from typical - but it’s still a good truck!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I run a 14 plate on driver training. Top spec fully loaded 480 previously used by Iveco for shows. Had a king pin at 15k kms (unbelievable!) but no other problems. Beautiful fully loaded truck that I’d be happy to live in a week at a time.

Aware my use is far from typical - but it’s still a good truck!

Good to know Peter, thanks. How far from typical was your use?

JSingh:
Was there a massive difference in the price? They do say you get what you pay. I don’t run Iveco’s but my dad had one he got really cheap about 5 years ago and it was never ending trouble, you can’t have a motor down losing work but then again I know people who run a fleet of just Iveco’s but my gut says stick to what you know a lease is a fairly long time and you want a reliable truck behind you my guy is always getting anywhere between 10-12 mpg on my Actros

Actros Bigspace = 429 per week with Microwave and Fridge.

Renault Range T = 380 per week, same spec.

Stralis XP HiWay - 309 per week, no microwave.

Big saving. Its 11k over the life of the agreement vs the Renault.

How far from typical was your use?

Driver training only. So never more than 10 miles from base and loaded with - wait for it - 8 tonnes!!

Oh yeah, not quite full weight long range stuff then!!

Peter Smythe:

Driver training only. So never more than 10 miles from base and loaded with - wait for it - 8 tonnes!!

How is the auto box Pete? Understand your running very light but obviously you’ll be stop start pretty much all day in it?

Wow the stralis is a good price! 120 a week cheaper then the merc! Can you not hire the stralis or a stralis for a week or 2 and see how it performs on your work before you commit to a lease?

How is the auto box Pete? Understand your running very light but obviously you’ll be stop start pretty much all day in it?

It’s no problem. But we train drivers to intervene sometimes if it’s been a bit slow picking a gear eg at a roundabout. Not often needed, but silly to think of it as fully auto.

Like I said, a long way from “normal” use but we find it a very good truck.

dave_k:

Peter Smythe:

ZF astronic is tried and tested fairly cheap to fix if it does go wrong.

Mate has driven a 460 Stralis HW for McCulla past couple of yrs.
Says it’s a decent enough truck and is away Sun to Fri in it tramping.
He has no real complaints except the usual non exsistant dash warnings popping up every now and again!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Mate has driven a 460 Stralis HW for McCulla past couple of yrs.
Says it’s a decent enough truck and is away Sun to Fri in it tramping.
He has no real complaints except the usual non exsistant dash warnings popping up every now and again!!!

Thanks Big Truck. I think that I’m going to have to speak to the local dealer and see if I can borrow a demo and an MOT trailer for a couple of hours. Cant get a longer demo atm because I don’t have my O-Licence yet!

Dealers can be poorer than usual with Iveco is something worth considering.

The Sheffield Iveco dealer is Sherwood at Handsworth. I have stuck with Ivecos for many years because of the back up from Sherwood at Blackwell (just south at Junc 28). But I’ve ordered a couple of new Renaults because the salesman at Sherwood seemed to think he’d have to do nothing to get the deal. Don’t know if I’ve done right - time will tell.

Sherwoods are part of Guest and they seem to have lost a bit of the personal service as a result IMO.

Own Account Driver:

£11k can make up for a ballbag dealer though!!!

Own Account Driver:

Own Account Driver:

So far the only dealer in Sheffield that I am considering that has done its best to lose my business is Crossroads at Rotherham. The problem is I’m a sucker for a good Swede and know they are good at high miles, even older ones.

Big Truck:
£11k can make up for a ballbag dealer though!!!

Not if the truck spends weeks in there for a simple repair though.

Peter Smythe:
The Sheffield Iveco dealer is Sherwood at Handsworth. I have stuck with Ivecos for many years because of the back up from Sherwood at Blackwell (just south at Junc 28). But I’ve ordered a couple of new Renaults because the salesman at Sherwood seemed to think he’d have to do nothing to get the deal. Don’t know if I’ve done right - time will tell.

Sherwoods are part of Guest and they seem to have lost a bit of the personal service as a result IMO.

I know what you mean about Sherwoods. They were the third of four to get back to me, have never seen the spec of truck they are suggesting is good for me and the salesman did make a couple of gaffs. He got the mileage wrong on the agreement, (under by 20k km per year) and forgot the only option I asked for! (A microwave)

The problem I have is that you can’t ignore a truck thats £240 a month cheaper than its nearest rival just because the salesman isn’t the best in the world.

Here is my dilema in black and white:

Mercedes Offer:
Actros 2545 BigSpace 6x4 Pusher.
480l Tank + 100l Adblue
Fridge and Microwave
Full Maintainence.
Sat in a local field and ready to go.
Arriving on Bridgestones so rubber should last a while.

£429.81 per week
Estimated annual profit £24162.21

Volvo Offer:
FH 500 Globetrotter 6x2 Pusher.
700l over two tanks. 65l AdBlue
Fridge and Microwave
Top storage pack on rear bulkhead.
Forward Collision Warning/Braking.
Lane Keep Assist
Dynafleet incl Tracking for 3 years
Full Maintainence.
Sat in a local field and ready to go
Arriving on crappy soft as s*** Contis which might wear out on the first job.

£423.44 per week
Estimated annual profit £24451.33

Renault Offer:
Range T 460.26 6x2 TML E6 Pusher.
480l tank with 64 l AdBlue
Fridge and Microwave
Ultimate top bunk/becomes a shelf option.
Full Maintainence.
Sat in a local field and ready to go.
On the same crappy contis as the Volvo

1*x59 agreement with 36 month break clause. All the others are 1x35.

£380.00 per week
Estimated Annual Profit £26710.21

Iveco Offer:
Stralis Hi Way XP Active Space Super 6x2 Twin Steer Pusher
430l diesel with 50l AdBlue
Fridge
Full Maintainence Incl Tyres
Rare as rocking horse muck.
Custom Michelin super efficient things
Standard with all the safety bells and whistles plus Navigation.

£309 per week
Estimated Annual Profit: £30402.21

As you can see, all of them will come with a reasonable chunk of change at the end of the year, each has its own advantages. I love the driving feel of the Merc. I love the living space arrangements in the Volvo and I have lived very happily in the Renault for months in the past but all are more expensive than the Italian. Do I go with my heart and get one of the ‘prestige’ units, do I go with my head and get the one which will cost the least or do I split the difference and get the Frenchie, (which does look best in my colours by the way, ive mocked it up in photoshop.)

Get the Iveco but put the £80/week saved on the Renault in a building society account by standing order and forget about it.

Own Account Driver:
Get the Iveco but put the £80/week saved on the Renault in a building society account by standing order and forget about it.

You’ve even got tyres included in the Iveco deal.

“Prestige” doesn’t pay the rent and feed the kids.

Just my thought.

430 Stralis??
I got quotes early summer for 140km/yr 460 £309 800l tanks and 480hp £319!!!