Tipper Bodies

Any recommendations for non insulated, suitable for a mixture of muck and aggregate work?
14m3 volume (standard muck size) and preferably steel as we can’t see alloy being a great benefit with the added expence of alloy and a body liner.
Kelbergs do a single skinned version that looks light but has an awful rib on the inside of the body, great if you like loads sticking.
Bowelds have axed all their non Taperlite models now and have heard their customer service isn’t great. Thompsons great product but long waiting times and quite heavy.
Fruehauf, just look ugly and flimsy.

Have a look at charlton bit lighter than Thompson but top quality as they are the same firm they have put new paint booths in to address the problems they had a while back.
Scott burton the md is very aprocable and is on all the tipper groups on Facebook and will offer advice and get any problems resolved.
My mate has bought two new motors that come with Abba body’s and he is pretty impressed with them

Smiths have gone back to Charlton bodies, they only carry 18.7ish though it could be the big sheets they now have fitted. They use the asphalt type ones instead of the usual up and over ones. I suppose they could’ve specced tougher floors, I had a Charlton at Smiths and it was a good body. I don’t know how much weight the rear underruns put onto a tipper, some look heavy some look like they’re little more than for show.

Only so much body builders can do. Thomson body’s are heavy but stand up to heavy work and punishment.
Even after a few years a lick of paint is all they need whereas a boweld will be falling apart.
The main problem is the chassis are getting heavier with all the added emissions systems along with side bars under run bars etc along with bigger and bigger cabs.
I saw a tarmac spec Euro 6 Renault big sleeper cab 8 wheeler with ally wheels and the plate on the body said 19.8 tonnpayload

Just been looking at Charlton Bodies FB page, I reckon they’re some of the best looking tippers. I think they really suit MAN and Scania chassis.
I know what you mean about Bowelds, there are some around here that are only three years old but don’t look as good as our Thompson.

I don’t like the look of the ally body Kane spec from them but they seem to last well

kr79:
I don’t like the look of the ally body Kane spec from them but they seem to last well

I’ve wondered what model of body they use. Thompsons don’t show a ribbed alloy body on their website. Clark Contracting spec a similar one, with ply lining. I don’t get that, we had ply lining on the sides of our old 6w and I detested them. Stuff stuck to it and then it was a sod to run a shovel down it when cleaning.
Those Kane ones must be a pain to get the payload on without it falling off.

I think it’s built to Kane’s own spec. Must work though as he has been going for years
I know a few who have fitted plastic liners and say they are ok. Clay sticks like glue to a ply lined body.

kr79:
I think it’s built to Kane’s own spec. Must work though as he has been going for years
I know a few who have fitted plastic liners and say they are ok. Clay sticks like glue to a ply lined body.

Smiths use the liners, they’re very good. The downside was the alloy body design, so their drivers have said. Wilcox put a crossbar between the tailgate posts which then jammed with rubble. There is a weight penalty with the liners, Dad found he lost about 300kgs when his trailer was done.

Never thought they would be as heavy as that but I guess it’s the best compromise over the weight of a steel body.
Realistically the only way we will ever see 20 ton plus payloads now is with a 34000 gross weight limit.
Mad to think a scammel could carry 20 ton at the old 30.49 ton limit. Mind you I wouldn’t want to drive one of them every day

Saw a new G (day) cabbed Scania on the tip this morning, Loadmaster Lite, Air Lift tailgate and underfloor tipping. What’s the benefit of underfloor? We have it on the grab but see no merits in it in comparisson to a front end ram. Any payload benefit to a Loadmaster Lite must be lost with underfloor gear?

Personal choice I guess. Keeps body closer to cab so makes sense if a sleeper.
Prefere front end myself

Was talking to a Clark Contracting driver today who said his Scania with alloy PPG body a d liner can carry 20t. The tacky load he was tipping came out clean too.
I don’t get why the likes of Kelberg and Fruehauf make steel muck bodies with jagged edges inside the body though. Just asking for trouble.

Probaly makes it cheaper

Fruehaufs’ Load Lite on their website looks alright, had a look on Weightlifter and Swadlincotes’ websites, these will build bodies to operators’ needs so tney might be worth a go. Boss wants 19 to 19.5t payload on a steel body, which I reckon is very hard unless you have a Scania chassis.

We get the odd Kane tipper turn up at work as they’re normally new drivers and looking for Lafarge down the road. they tare in around about 13300kgs if i remember rightly, so i’m guessing 20 tonne in the back is a thing of the past now then!

Sounds about right for a MAN with an alloy body. A Sheehan driver has a MAN with Thompson Loadmaster and he tares at 13700. Kanes’ alloys must be well reinforced to tare at 13300, hardy seems worth the hassle and expense for 400kg.
Christ the 6w Daf my boss sold last year carried 16.3 and that was with a “heavy” alloy body that had twin 8mm floors in it and 6mm sides. :open_mouth:

Do Boweld prime their bodies as standard or is it an optional extra? Seen a few fairly new ones around with plenty of “metal acne.”

I’m getting a weightlifter steel fitted on my new Scania.Its going to be the same as in the photo

hodgeturbo:
I’m getting a weightlifter steel fitted on my new Scania.Its going to be the same as in the photo

That looks like a Kelberg, what payload are you expecting?
Is a Tridem a lot more expensive? I’ve mentioned tridems to my boss, reckon they’d suit our area more than an 8x4.