Owner drivers, how does it work and is it worth it?

nsmith1180:

Yoni:
I’ve got lots of questions about this and couldnt find any answers anywhere so here it goes:

If I buy my own truck where do I find work?

Are there any HIAB owner drivers and where do they get jobs from?

Is buying a second hander with work a good idea? (I’ve seen an offer from Maritime in combination with a second hand truck dealer)

Is it financially worth it?

How much do you charge an hr?

Do I need an operator licence to drive my own 1 lorry as a Ltd?

Thanks

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Here we go.

1. You don’t. If you find work, you then find a Truck.

2. Yes there are several but you need to consider if buing a HIAB equipped vehicle will affect your flexability for finding work.

3. A second hander can be a reasonable idea but again, you need to balance the increased risk of breakdown against the lower cost. I’m going for a new leased unit so that any nasty surprises fall on the lease company rather than me.

4. That I won’t know, because I don’t know what the truck, the job and the rates are. Sorry.

5. You need to figure that one out yourself. Most will either work for a mileage or a day rate though. Your TM CPC course will teach you the basics of costing a vehicle.

6. Asking that question is really proof that you have not done enough pre-research on this. A forum is a useful tool but if you want to get it right your best sources are the .gov website, the FTA and the RHA.

Thank you

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk