tacho costs

one of my pet hates is when you take the truck in for the check or calibration and with a big smile they say everything is fine that will be £100 please, you would think they could say I had to change a bulb or adjust something just to ease the pain.

Or when it’s supposedly had a recal only to find the speed limiters set too low and the drivers are infringing every tme they leave the yard through no fault of their own…another £100 nicker please cocker! Still, better than them being too high!

Speed limiter isn’t touched on a tacho calibration…Also you have to be trained on a particular system to alter a RSL ,and you would need the relevant manufacturers programme ,which isn’t going to happen

i think £100 is pretty reasonable for a tacho check, bear in mind if it’s digi it’s a full calibration and possibly a new buffer battery depending on the type of head fitted.

AF1:
i think £100 is pretty reasonable for a tacho check, bear in mind if it’s digi it’s a full calibration and possibly a new buffer battery depending on the type of head fitted.

It’s half an hour’s work and a £2 battery. It just goes to show yet again that there is a fortune to be made in road transport, just so long as you aren’t the poor wooden-headed sap with his name on the doors. :wink: :wink:

Harry Monk:

AF1:

It’s half an hour’s work and a £2 battery. It just goes to show yet again that there is a fortune to be made in road transport, just so long as you aren’t the poor wooden-headed sap with his name on the doors. :wink: :wink:

Plus the cost of installing and maintaining all the calibration equipment, installing wall and floor safes, employing and training staff. And half an hour is a bit tight to do the job correctly

Calibration costs I’m ok with, did one last wk think it was £72.

For us with little vehicles on the fleet that tow, the installation costs are a pain even when you have the unit to remove from other vehicles, is in region of £800 swapping it all over, is a tad cheaper than buying new but pretty harsh to swallow.

Ever thought about how much the equipment like the rollers cost? or how frequently they have to be calibrated and the fee for having that done?

cav551:
Ever thought about how much the equipment like the rollers cost? or how frequently they have to be calibrated and the fee for having that done?

No, but I do know that the bloke who owns my local truck main dealer drives a Lamborghini. :wink:

I know the set up costs are there, but with a truck that just transports my old Bedford, and paying out of my pension it smarts a bit, I know I could say recovery and not use the tacho but I like being able to just give the man on the day the charts and get them back all clear, as well as being able to take the Bedford into the Netherlands for a brilliant show at Den Helder that’s moved to august this year so if you have nothing better to do come along,
(did you see what I did there) just look up historisch weekend Den Helder. the past pictures by jan barnier are really good, take a look and come along it is one of the few places we are welcome after brexit lol.

VOSA or whatever they are called nowdays , are giving tacho centres the option of withdrawing from doing analogue tacho’s and only doing digi New centres will not have to do analogue at all,so it may get increasingly difficult to find centres to do analogue for anyone out there with them

Our kit is calibrated 6 monthly ,with 3 monthly checks ,If someone is doing a tacho in 30 mins ,it isn’t being done correctly