FORS

Just out of interest, if you decide to get FORS accredited, do all vehicle registered to the fleet have to meet the requirements, or can you say register half of the vehicles as compliant to run in London etc, and the other half that don’t meet the requirements not go anywhere near a FORS site etc?

for bronze its mainly company compliance not so much the vehicles unless its changed ?

F-reds:
Just out of interest, if you decide to get FORS accredited, do all vehicle registered to the fleet have to meet the requirements, or can you say register half of the vehicles as compliant to run in London etc, and the other half that don’t meet the requirements not go anywhere near a FORS site etc?

F-reds:

You can select a pool of vehicles that are compliant, to run into London, not all the fleet needs to be compliant.

Darkside:

F-reds:

You can select a pool of vehicles that are compliant, to run into London, not all the fleet needs to be compliant.

Excellent. Appreciate the feedback.

Why didn’t the haulage industry just refuse to accept FORS? If you have an O licence, operate legally and your vehicles are safe then that is good enough. What does making your drivers ride around on pushbikes, stick “correctly worded” stickers on the rear of the trucks and a silly FORS badge in the window actually prove?
Wishy washy money making scam just like the DCPC and EPIC cards.

Is FORS the funny handshake club for Haulage Operators?

caledoniandream:
Is FORS the funny handshake club for Haulage Operators?

Yes, and a pretty limp-wristed one at that. All these companies big up their FORS credentials but they’re only doing it for the publicity. Two tipper firms around here are members, have their silly stickers on their trucks, have given nice cuddly media statements about their “commitment to vulnerable road user safety” yet still pay the drivers bonuses based on loads carried.
All in all it’s just a money making exercise which blows combustion particles up the general publics’ rectal cavity, just like the “considerate constructors” scheme.

Mike Ponsonby:
for bronze its mainly company compliance not so much the vehicles unless its changed ?

F-reds:

Mike is right you can pull it off at bronze level but for silver and gold I don’t think so .

All vehicles have to be accredited now so it isn’t as easy as it used to be and unfortunately it is being forced on hauliers if you want work on some sites.

We are now having to sub FORS silver work out for the time being while we progress from bronze ourselves as that is the standard on a lot of the larger construction sites now. Don’t agree but they have us over a barrel unless ALL hauliers say enough is enough but the bigger guys seem to love it. Being smaller is much harder on the cash flow to comply but not much choice. I do know several who are now asking for a premium for all FORS specified work so at least some of the money spent on compliance can be clawed back over time.

A lad near us in the Derbyshire hills runs ten artic bulkers doesn’t go anywhere near London but has still got to be silver FORS to pull for Cemex. Cost him over £20,000. Bet they won’t put his rates up for doing it. I’ve got to be bronze myself by July this year to be able to do loads for Tarmac.

As part of FORS, do you have to do one of those hug a cyclist courses?
Still against the whole thing, if the driver is licenced, has his DCPC hours and the firm is running legit, then that should be good enough.
All these firms that say how wonderful it is are lying, they hate it but do it for the kudos.

Where has the amount of 20k come from? What exactly did he have fitted?

Orion82:

£11,000 just for cameras . So add side guards ,drivers cycling course ect your soon there .

Punchy Dan:

Orion82:

£11,000 just for cameras . So add side guards ,drivers cycling course ect your soon there .

Has someone not shown these muppets that a set of decent mirrors cost much less than a camera?

yeah I guess so. But still expensive.

Muckaway:

Punchy Dan:

Orion82:

Has someone not shown these muppets that a set of decent mirrors cost much less than a camera?

Whilst I agree with you mostly. The problem mostly comes with the rear camera aspect as it states that blind spots have to be completely eliminated. You won’t achieve that with just mirrors alone.

Cameras, side underruns, rear underruns, all this adds tare weight to a tipper. If new trucks need this stuff then the mgw should increase to offset the higher tare weights.
Case in point; A chap who I used to work with (recently retired) had several new 6 wheelers since the mgw went up to 26t (all steel bodied)
Foden 3000 M reg carried 15.8t.
Foden 4000 S reg carried 15.5t.
Volvo FE 08 reg carried 15.4t.
Daf CF Construction 16 reg carried 14.4t.

Iwhat cameras are you fitting roadside gatso complaining about cameras and aluminium sideguards knocking your tare weight about

one day you will write a positive post on TN

yawn yawn muckshifter

Muckaway:
Cameras, side underruns, rear underruns, all this adds tare weight to a tipper. If new trucks need this stuff then the mgw should increase to offset the higher tare weights.
Case in point; A chap who I used to work with (recently retired) had several new 6 wheelers since the mgw went up to 26t (all steel bodied)
Foden 3000 M reg carried 15.8t.
Foden 4000 S reg carried 15.5t.
Volvo FE 08 reg carried 15.4t.
Daf CF Construction 16 reg carried 14.4t.

Its something I’ve looked into a couple of times, thinking that while its just me and one wagon its going to be a lot easier to get the compliance set up but I read through the standard and need a lawyer sat next to me to make sense of it.

Then I look at the cost. £485.00 per year for me plus VAT.

Is it worth it? No.

Director of Thompson bodies told me the rear and side underruns add around 250kg plus the Euro 6 system another 250kg.