International cpc vs dcpc

Can any one answer this?
I have my international cpc diploma in road haulage transport management but i cannot drive a truck as I never completed my dcpc, why doesn’t my cpc allow me to drive or count towards dcpc? Consider this, i spent at the time close to £3000, two weeks instruction including intense home study then took two exams one hard the other almost impossible pass to gain my qualification yet does not allow me to drive a truck and does not count towards dcpc.
To gain a dcpc is 35 hrs of class room discussion over 5 years with no exams at cost of less than £300 and if you have a flt or loader ticket it will reduce the 35 hrs required.

Why is this? The TC is unable to understand the question let alone the answer.

The TM CPC says you are competent to run a truck, sort the servicing, compliance, know about loading and international transport.

The Driver CPC says you are competent to operate a truck. Strap the load, safely maneuver etc. Or at least it should.

Given how many qualified TMs there are out there that have never sat in a wagon, let alone driven one, its a sound distinction. Get yourself on a couple of DCPC courses and you will be able to do both.

Its one of them anomalies that happens when Politicians get a “good Idea” and tell bureaucrats to make it work.

Many of the practical written parts of the DCPC modules I’ve done seem to have been taken directly form the TM’s CPC course, like writing out vehicle routes and timings, but I think they’ve done this to try and fill the time in the course more than for any educational reason.

So I can see a logic, as can some of the DCPC trainers, to allow some of the TM CPC to cover DCPC hours, as you should have learned plenty about EU Drivers hours and WTD at the very least and also actually done an exam on it.

But considering you don’t have to retake you TM CPC exams, and have to redo a DCPC every 5 years are you suggesting that this reduction in hours required should cover every 5 years or just the period in which you did you TM CPC?

The operator cpc is a serious exam
The driver cpc is for the most part a joke with no exams

I say joke because a driver could do a cheap customer service 7 hour course 5 times and be qualified !

Many Operator CPC courses have also been approved as DCPC courses, though there is usually an extra fee if you want the qualification.

Big burner:
Many Operator CPC courses have also been approved as DCPC courses, though there is usually an extra fee if you want the qualification.

The one I am doing gives me 35 hours of DCPC.

nsmith1180:

I would be really grateful if you could let me know who is doing that for you. I am desperately trying to move more of my business over to my son and he needs both to complete at least 4 DCPC sessions and the operator cpc in the next couple of years. Combining it would be ideal.

Novadata in Braintree do them.

Thanks, I will look into that. A week in Essex might do him good (or maybe not) :laughing:

manski:

nsmith1180:

I would be really grateful if you could let me know who is doing that for you. I am desperately trying to move more of my business over to my son and he needs both to complete at least 4 DCPC sessions and the operator cpc in the next couple of years. Combining it would be ideal.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. I didn’t notice the post!

Both the RHA and the FTA do DCPC approved TM courses. Im on the FTA one which was 1950 inc VAT with member discount, about 2200 without.

OK thanks for the info, I probably should have looked around myself a bit more first :blush: Although I did look a year or so ago and I am sure it was not possible then. Those look a bit dearer than the Novadata one, especially for non-members, although it looks like the FTA does one in Liverpool so more local to us. It is split into 2 lots of 4 days too, which sounds like a good idea. Changed a bit from my 4 days and then do the exams on the Friday job :open_mouth:

Homerc007:
Can any one answer this?
I have my international cpc diploma in road haulage transport management but i cannot drive a truck as I never completed my dcpc, why doesn’t my cpc allow me to drive or count towards dcpc? Consider this, i spent at the time close to £3000, two weeks instruction including intense home study then took two exams one hard the other almost impossible pass to gain my qualification yet does not allow me to drive a truck and does not count towards dcpc.
To gain a dcpc is 35 hrs of class room discussion over 5 years with no exams at cost of less than £300 and if you have a flt or loader ticket it will reduce the 35 hrs required.

Why is this? The TC is unable to understand the question let alone the answer.

I found myself in precisely the same position unfortunately.

Spoke to this person, that person, etc., to see if there was a way around it, got nowhere.

I’ve been on nights as a Ltd. company for nearly 20 years to make things even worse, so I obviously couldn’t come off shift in the morning, go on DCPC course, then go back on to my night shift. So I eventually and reluctantly realised I had no option but to take the time off, i.e. no earnings that week, and pay for the DCPC too. To say I was annoyed didn’t even cover it.

However, the one upside is that I can stand in front of any TM and know that I am at least, and probably more qualified than they are whenever the odd minor dispute does arise. As previous posters have pointed out most only have office knowledge and their backside has never bothered a truck seat at any time.

I now make sure I do one DCPC day a year, so 21 hours already done towards the next one.