Continuous dispensation

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how exactly to go about securing a ‘continuous dispensation’ from the authorities for the regular transport of wide loads? (i.e. 2.9 to 3.5 metres)

I believe some firms operate under them and they clear you for all counties the route goes through, obviously as long as the movement order is carried on the vehicle at all times etc.

I’ve logged on to the .GOV website which is as usual, a chocolate fireguard…

Thanks in advance!

Hi you need to email the abnormal loads officer of the relevant police force and ask for an annual exemption. You need to include your o licence no on the email and operating centre address

Hi Lilac Lady,

Many thanks…just to clarify, if the operating centre is in Yorkshire, and the destination is Slough, then that would need doing for every Police force in between that the route passes through? You’d have thought there would be some facility to do this via ESDAL…

Yes some police forces abnormal loads officer s cover more then one county eg Norfolk and Suffolk are joint as are Cambridgeshire Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, if it’s a one off trip then you can do through esdal think the m25 comes under the metropolitan police worth doing if you regularly move wide loads just have to keep an eye out for road works though

Smashing thanks very much!

lilac lady:
the m25 comes under the metropolitan police

. Only part of the M25 comes under the Met. Surrey, Kent, Thames Valley, Essex and Hertfordshire also have stretches.

In my experience, some forces such as Sussex & Surrey (joint operation) are happy to issue a dispensation upto 3.5m wide on a annual basis, other forces are not so forthcoming.

Well, if I have to approach each force individually, so be it. It will be in the form of an email initially…if the police still monitor mailboxes…touch wood! Thanks for the input!

We have been granted dispensation by Surrey, Hampshire, Gloucestershire, Leicestershire without any problems, and have a few more pending. As for Norfolk our home county, forget it, the jobsworths there want to see how many movements we do in a year before granting it…nothing like trying to help ey?

As said previously, just email all your details to the ab load officers and see how you go.

Good luck.