starting up

I am thinking of buying my own unit in Jan and was wondering how much work was out there? i’m in Bedfordshire. I will do any type of work. Are other owners finding work or is it a struggle at the moment?
Cheers

its not the amount of work tricky its the amount of good paying work id suggest having a look through the post on here as theres plenty of good advice for new startups.goodluck :laughing:

Welcome to TN trickymick!

There are plenty of people on here who’ll tell you NOT* to do it and i’d say Carl made a very relevant comment.

The easiest option is to search through the previous posts - there’s plenty of info and advice there to read-up on that’ll keep you busy for days!! :slight_smile:

*By the way, i’m not one of them!

Well I think it’s a brilliant idea and you should definitely go for it.

Apparently you can make good money by running about legally :unamused: for a quid a mile (sorry £1.20 I think it is now) :unamused: and banging diesel in at a quid a litre (sorry 96p) :unamused: .

So yes, you go for it mate if that’s what you want to do :slight_smile: .

:unamused:

LOL @ Rob!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

welcome trickymick,
in answer to the question, yes theres a lot of work about and despite what some of the less inteligent on here will tell you, you can make some decent money. depends on what you fancy doing really, my advice would be to talk to as many firms as you can and have a go at what looks the best deal and don’t be blinkered into thinking the only work is what you see advertissed in the mags, many firms use subbies but wouldn’t advertise the fact so it’s worth ringing round.
only thing i would say is, january is probably the worst month to start as things are always quiet after christmas.

well, thanks alot for all the replies. i will look through all the previous posts and see what i can learn.
One thing, is there a general price you should be looking for a mile?

Rob K:
and banging diesel in at a quid a litre (sorry 96p)

Still getting that important fact very wrong I see Rob. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Welcome Trickymick

Do your home work then if you can afford to go for a few months with little in your pocket go for it. I have not regretted yet and this month is my best earner yet I have brought in more than I ever would have done as an employed driver ( even at 99p a litre) wait and hear from NSH he has had a good week

Coffeeholic:

Rob K:
and banging diesel in at a quid a litre (sorry 96p)

Still getting that important fact very wrong I see Rob. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

must have got it wrong about 17.5 times now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

funnyfut:
wait and hear from NSH he has had a good week

I’m sorry but I cannot answere that until I have spoketo my financial advisor.

How much have I earnt this week Rob?

Quid a mile. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

north surrey haulage:
I’m sorry but I cannot answere that until I have spoketo my financial advisor.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

north surrey haulage:

It’s a mars bar a day isn’t it?

Paul

trickymick:
well, thanks alot for all the replies. i will look through all the previous posts and see what i can learn.
One thing, is there a general price you should be looking for a mile?

seems basically theres two ways of getting into the job, you can buy a unit and go onto boxes etc tomorrow, you’ll get a fuel card, hire trailer, weekly payments etc so a minimum out lay, but you pay a price in the fact the rates are pretty low or you can sort some work, be it tippers,flats, tauts that would require a far greater outlay, probably sixty day payments, sort your own fuel account out and so on but will pay far bettter rates. i work on sixty days and the rates are good but you can’t under estimate how much money you need for that initial three months, at best you’ll have paid for two months fuel, two months maintainence and parking, two months finance on the wagon (if needed) you’ll have taxed it for at least six months and of coarse two months worth of bills through the door, thats a good lump of money! if it wasn’t for the fact that the wife was working fulltime and the firm i sub off agreeing to give me a part payment at the end of the second month i don’t think theres anyway i could’ve done it but once that cheque starts coming every month it’s a different ball game, at any one time i’m owed two months money which is money in the bank.
theres plenty of lads on here who’ve been doing it a lot longer than me but if you want to pm me i’ll give you an idea of what “i’ve” found, can be earnt.
paul.

repton:

north surrey haulage:

Paul

Don’t forget the tin o’ polish. :wink:

again, many thanks for all the replies. which magazines are best to find some work?
cheers

trickymick:
again, many thanks for all the replies. which magazines are best to find some work?
cheers

None of them. If they have to advertise the work in magazines it is likely not very good work in the first place.

Coffeeholic:

repton:

north surrey haulage:

Paul

Don’t forget the tin o’ polish. :wink:

It’ll have to be turtle wax as I obviously cant afford a mars bar and a can of peak :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: