Question on tachoheads in 3.5 Tonne

Hello, be kind I’m new!

Looking at putting VDO’s into my 3.5 tonne vehicles as I have drivers who driver 7.5 and Cl2 some days and some days will use the vehicles (and they are rubbish at manual entries)

Also want to bring these guys into line with how we pay our other guys…off tacho.

Are there any implications or considerations when doing this as in speed limiter / breaks etc ( assuming as in double manned carded vehicles breaks can be taken by 2nd man in moving vehicle as per normal)

Just want to make sure that I’m not missing anything vital??

TIA

Are the drivers using 3.5s and LGVs in the same shift :question:

Not in same shift but most certainly in their working week.

The fact that you have a tachograph in a 3.5t vehicle doesn’t mean you’re in-scope of EU regulations, so on days that they’re driving the 3.5t vehicles as long as they put the tachograph on “Out of scope” they don’t need to bother about the EU break rules.

As far as the WTD breaks are concerned, I assume that the DVSA would still regard the first 45 minutes of POA while sat in the passenger seat as break, but then we all know the DVSA don’t monitor the WTD anyway so…

As far as I’m aware as long as the vehicle does not exceed 3.5t it doesn’t need to be fitted with a speed limiter regardless of having a tachograph.

Maybe a bit of in house training on manual entries(plenty of videos online)get them all involved and monitor it for first few weeks and deal with any issues, could be a cheaper option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tachograph:
The fact that you have a tachograph in a 3.5t vehicle doesn’t mean you’re in-scope of EU regulations, so on days that they’re driving the 3.5t vehicles as long as they put the tachograph on “Out of scope” they don’t need to bother about the EU break rules.

As far as the WTD breaks are concerned, I assume that the DVSA would still regard the first 45 minutes of POA while sat in the passenger seat as break, but then we all know the DVSA don’t monitor the WTD anyway so…

As far as I’m aware as long as the vehicle does not exceed 3.5t it doesn’t need to be fitted with a speed limiter regardless of having a tachograph.

Not sure about the DVSA not monitoring WTD, but the Traffic Commissioners are pretty keen on it.
If the vehicles are out of scope then all of your time except breaks/rest is ‘other work’. I cannot find anything in the legislation that allows you to extend duty time for double-manning.

If on 3.5 work all day then it would come under UK domestic regs for that shift with all the time spent driving & working counting as other work for the EU regs

As there are no break/rest rules for domestic regs then with two drivers sharing the time in the driving seat in one van the shift could be a long one because when not driving the passenger can count that time as not working or driving

ROG:
As there are no break/rest rules for domestic regs then with two drivers sharing the time in the driving seat in one van the shift could be a long one because when not driving the passenger can count that time as not working or driving

Vosa (as it was then) told us that being a passenger in your company’s van counted as duty time. This might just be their interpretation, as I cannot find an accurate definition in the legislation of ‘duty’. Anyone know of a case precedent?