Dilemma - decision between 2 units

I have got to make the choice between 2 units and I am really struggling to make the decision so thought I would see what the general consensus is rather than flip a coin.
I am buying a second hand unit to put on ferry trailer work, going to give it a go for 12 months and if a success I will maybe sell the unit and upgrade/lease.
First unit is a 2009 Euro 5 magnum 500 Dxi (latest shape),6x2 with 640km at a dealer. Was initially a Montgomery Transport fleet unit. An owner driver has had it for the last 2 years.I have spoken direct with the ex owner due to his number still being on the cab and he confirms it is a good truck and says it has had a recent clutch. He says it can throw a few error messages, reduce gearbox function etc but says these are typical Renault gremlins. Cab is clean but definitely used and I notice that to the rear of the cab the air kit supports are really rusty and tatty ( is this normal) - 12 months MOT but fixed fifth wheel.
Second choice a 2006 Scania R470 with 812000 km opticruise, all bells and whistles, leather, micro, coffee, alloys, immaculate, slider, autolube, owned by a Company pulling there own stuff. analogue tacho though, is this still preferred over digital nowadays?

Both trucks are circa 10 k, luck is going to be a big part in my endeavours success and I am certainly aware that either truck could throw an eye watering big bill at any time. My question is, if it was your money and bearing in mind resale if it doesn’t work out, which would your money be placed. I tend to see the same older Magnums being for sale for a very long time whereas the Market for a Scania is obviously much wider.
Thoughts please…

I thought you’d put a deposit on the Magnum?

My advice if you’re starting out is go with something reliable and easy to maintain.

Well… I have just brought my first motor… have been looking and scanning the market for a very very long time… I found a decent scania maintained in house, low kms no bells and whistles really but decent… and in the end it came down to this… if it don’t work or went Pete tong the truck would still be worth a decent whack… plus it’s a brand I have come to trust over the years! So guess really it’s personal preference.
Magnums are cool, but would certainly be a lot tougher to sell I would imagine!
Good luck pal [emoji1474]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have put a deposit down on the Magnum but have had my head turned by the Scania initially down to the sliding fifthwheel. If it’s the right unit then I am prepared to forego the deposit paid on the other.
I am in a position to pay considerably more and look for a much newer unit but my thinking is buy a cheap unit, give it a go and at 10k, providing unit gives me let’s say another 120000km relatively trouble free motoring then I will know whether this venture is viable or not before committing to a lease etc. It’s a gamble, I know, but I’ve had my ops licence for 10 years,( had a unit 10 years ago but didn’t give it a good crack of the whip then and a new venture cropped up, I will operate from my home so no yard cost to factor in etc. so thinking why not.
You say a reliable unit, out of the two which would be better and easier to maintain. The Magnum after all is a Volvo in a dress.

Sorry Jarvo, good luck to you pal. :smiley:

I can’t give you a definitive answer which truck to go for.

There are a lot of variables, and you must weigh up which one is the best for you.
I personally would be more inclined to go for a truck which has some form of service history. If you’re buying the scania direct from an operator have you seen the inspection and service records? Could give you valuable insight into whether the vehicle will be reliable or not. Have you asked if there is anything wrong with the truck or why they are selling it? Does it have low Km because nobody wants to drive it or has it been off the road with issues more times than on it? Seeing the service history is the key.
A truck with a microwave, built in TVs and/or sauna is low down on my priority. It’s a business tool you are buying, customers won’t pay you more because your truck has a light bar and lots of spotlights.
As you have pointed out the magnum has a Volvo running gear to all intents and purposes, but the scania should be just as reliable.

Follow your gut instinct.

You would get a real decent Premium 460DXi for £10k!!! :sunglasses:

I had a Renault Premium for a few days and thought it was a great motor, pulled well, comfortable to drive and narrow cab , useful for narrow farm entrances.
For a tall person, it might be a small cab.
As it was hired, I didn’t want to see it go back.

Pay 5k for a Foden or erf keep 5 k in your pocket if its goes bang you can repair it and still have change .I am regretting selling mine having bought something like what your going to buy and it going wrong and hitting me hard in the pocket.I am looking into renting them or going back to euro 3

To start, I would rent, short term, pay a little more, but if it doesn’t work, you can hand it back.
Renault and MAN regularly have decent deals on used trucks, couple of years old with low mileage.
No risk, no other cost than fuel, insurance, and tyres you damage.
After a year if your business plan is viable, you could always decide to buy, lease or do whatever you think is right.
Realise if you buy, a big breakdown can wipe your new business out in one swipe, newer trucks are very expensive to repair.
And can you afford to have a break down, claims of customers can be substantial.
Also recovery, parts, diagnostics, replacement hire trucks, can burn a big hole in your pocket.
If you hire with a decent contract, all these cost are covered.

If your business is not viable, you don’t want to end with bills where long after your end of business are still to be paid.
Also if your not VAT registered, remember when you sell your truck,you loose your VAT on the truck you have sold.

Getting an Erf or a Foden is good advice, I had an Olympic space cab Erf on Gibraltar trips, it ran like a dream.
But the plastic interior was hot in the summer, 38degree heat.
The customers don’t care whatever the truck looks like if image is for you , they just want their goods .
Another option is Volvo FH12, comfortable truck, nice to drive.

Had breakfast with a driver yesterday@ Larne docks and drives a
05 R500 Scania Topline V8 for a Sawyers subbie.
Round the clock for THIRD time and was bought 3yrs ago for £5k as wrecked prop/engine problems so was being sold as export yoke.
Fettled up when bought and skirts/used alloys fitted, bit rough round the edges, engine never went cold 1st 2yrs of ownership!!!
Still running sweet and the yoke to run on £1.10mile!!![emoji28] [emoji6] [emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Just as an aside to the O/D’s on here:

@£1.10mile and av 3000miles/week running her 7days/week,
He making money with that R500 mentioned above■■?[emoji52]
(Getting diesel about 80/90ppl in Eire)

Big Truck:
Round the clock for THIRD time and was bought 3yrs ago for £5k as wrecked prop/engine problems so was being sold as export yoke.
Fettled up when bought and skirts/used alloys fitted, bit rough round the edges, engine never went cold 1st 2yrs of ownership!!!
Still running sweet and the yoke to run on £1.10mile!!![emoji28] [emoji6] [emoji52]

Bet the bunk is in pristine unused condition! [emoji3]

Post a picture of your new truck when you buy it

kjw21:

Big Truck:

Bet the bunk is in pristine unused condition! [emoji3]

Dare say it’s been changed a few times!!!

toby1234abc:
Getting an Erf or a Foden is good advice, I had an Olympic space cab Erf on Gibraltar trips, it ran like a dream.
But the plastic interior was hot in the summer, 38degree heat.
The customers don’t care whatever the truck looks like if image is for you , they just want their goods .
Another option is Volvo FH12, comfortable truck, nice to drive.

Foden yes for a Alpha 1 or 2 the parts can be delivered here before iam back even but Erf is a no parts are just so hard to find now it’s unreal.

Though DAN a lot of the foden parts where still being used up until euro 6 …

For anyone starting out who’s got thier own premises and tools the Alpha is unbeatable value for money and there are still some good low Milage ones about .