Daf xf 460 remapping

Hi all new to this forum have done a quick search to no avail been looking at getting an xf 460 remapped For a little more grunt but better mpg. Now if seen lots of company’s advertising this service but was after some advice for/against having this done the truck in question has had a new borgwarner turbo fitted at some point but I’m changing it for the holset/garret unit as I have no trust in the current unit but I was just looking for any recommendations of good company’s I’m based in the southwest ? Thanks in advance

I am in the same boat looking into getting a 460 volvo rempped, maybe using mobile eco tuning at weston super mare or custom mobile remaps at yeovil

Yea had looked at them just not something I want to jump into and have someone that claims they can get the gains but then ends up causing damage putting me off the road thus losing money. As I’m aware the Volvo is a slightly different process as I read that the ecu needs to be removed and messed around with

Hows it going?, have you had it done yet?

Having remapped a Iveco Stralis 450 to a 520 it made a great difference in power , a lot nicer to drive ,
fuel ?
Not a great deal of difference , motorway running is better,A B roads slightly worse ,
But ,and it’s a big but ,gearbox failure! , and after talking to my gearbox repairer he told me he has seen quite a number of zf boxes coming through the door from remapped trucks .

There are 2 different types of zf boxes with different back ring gear fitted to trucks with less than 450 hp and more than 450 hp apperantly if you have the small ring gear type 118 box I think he said mapping to over 500 and it’s on it’s absolute limit , very careful driver required
I believe Daf boxes are the same .

^^^
As the motor racing bods say, there is always a trade off to whatever you do.

cav551:
^^^
As the motor racing bods say, there is always a trade off to whatever you do.

There are two types of tuning.Either taking the same amount of torque up to higher engine speeds to increase specific power output.Or increasing the amount of specific torque.

The former could just possibly break engines.

While the latter it’s anyone’s guess which could possibly break first from engine to anywhere in the driveline or possibly even a combination of both.Assuming that their capacity to withstand the increase hasn’t been established first.I’d guess going from 450 to 500 + definitely fits the second of those examples. :bulb:

What are the differences between a 460xf and a 510xf?. When my dad had a FH12 380 Volvo told him it was just different software (map) from a 420, but a 460 had a bigger radiator as well as the mapping of the ECU.

NB12:
What are the differences between a 460xf and a 510xf?. When my dad had a FH12 380 Volvo told him it was just different software (map) from a 420, but a 460 had a bigger radiator as well as the mapping of the ECU.

basically the ecu and turbo the 510 also had an electronic wastegate …

With people chipping DAFs I have only ever saw cracked exhaust manifolds ,though that was on euro 3 engines …With euro 4 & 5 I haven’t seen a chipped engine

NB12:

Realistically getting more power out of a turbo diesel will need some work on the boost side of the equation either in the form of turbo charger and/or inter cooler upgrades in addition to fuelling changes.It’s no good just altering the fuelling side without also increasing the inlet air charge either in the form of turbo and/or inter cooler upgrades.Although having said that it is possible that a low power version of an engine can actually just be a ( fuelling ) de rated higher power one in which case just increasing the fuelling might be all that’s needed.Which could result in a torque increase in addition to possibly a engine speed increase.Although there were some examples such as the old school ■■■■■■■ and Detroit in which just peak power was increased by more fuelling by using larger injectors and higher engine speed with no increase in torque.But going from 380 to 460 would mean a massive engine speed increase if it was obtained just by increasing engine speed alone and no torque increase. :open_mouth:

DAF use the same engine ,the only differences being basically the turbo and ecu software

Diesel is easy to modify

Simple more air more fuel

Problems start becoming apparent with EGT side pipe for the win .

Problem is all these tighter emissions meaning more restrictions in exhaust resulting in higher EGT killing engines.

A genetic chip load of junk proper mapping is essential not these cowboy outfits just sticking a resistor in place to fuel the ecu and winding up the boost.

boyesadabest:
Hows it going?, have you had it done yet?

No not had it done yet and by reading about the problems the lad with the stralis has has I’m thinking about keeping it standard rather than tempt fair tbh

Friend of mine had 2 XF 460 Euro 5s chipped right after warranty because they were so lazy. They have done now something like 600 k without problem. Both had Asstronic boxes. Dont know how many hp they had, maybe 530-540.

We had our 410 daf105 done at feathers diesel Huddersfield on a rolling road…a vast difference in power and fuel…it came out a 487bhp and the best part another 400nm @1100 rpm up its arse…windy hill m62 all up 11th gear 48mph the fuel before the map was 8.6…after 9.7-10.5 depending on the driver

We have had some good result from Feathers commercials over the years. Very professional service and the rolling dyno certanly allows for putting the grunt where it should be instead of a generic chip swap. We took a Iveco 190.48 to them and boosted it to 520, not the biggest power gain I agree but from there everafter it returned 10mpg loaded or empty. He claimed the V8 could be wound up to around 1000bhp no problem but fore warned the gearbox wouldnt make it back to the M62.
However sometime later we took in a MAN for the same treatment and when we arrived they were testing a paddy Scania 142 and we got talking to the driver. “Shes not pulling too well” claimed Patrick. Then remember the dyno operator shaking his head and shuting it down. The machine was only rated to 600 horsepower and the old Swede pushed clean off the scale. “Theres nothing I can do for this” exclaimed the man about a truck that wasnt “pulling like it used to”
What it had been tweaked to is anybodys guess.