rigid to 44t?

like a bit of advice please, currently talking to the firm i sub off about coming off of rigid work and putting an artic on instead, rates wise, they’re comparible i.e if the 16t rate for a job was say £200 the 24t rate would be £260 traction only with shunters loading the trailers, what i’ve sugested is that i put my own trailer on for brightbar, load and go as i do with the rigid, service the same costomers i do now but generally take three drops instead of two basically because you also get paid per drop on top of the rate plus when i get back early i could pull one of their preloaded trailers traction only and do a couple of locals to fill in the day, on top of this theres also more back loads available for the artics, the load n go rates would have to be discussed as they’ve never run like that before, only with rigids. it’s the variables i’m not sure about, insurance wise i know what the difference will be but fuel comsumption i’m not sure, i get between 10 and 11 at the mo dependent on how much empty driving i do so what could i expect to get from a 6x2 at those sort of rates? what sort of running costs etc would i be looking at?

Don’t forget to budget for side skirts. :wink: :smiley:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Can’t really help re the figures for 6x2 as I have never ran one.

Hi Paul,
don’t forget that its not just the fuel.
14 tyres instead of 6, 6x2 VED = £1200 a year (£700 if you buy a unit with an RPC), Parking charges may well rise, insurance costs will go up, you wil have an extra cost on sevice/ inspections/ MOT for the trailer. Are you also moving away from you r “niche” market? I’m not saying don’t do it, but think before you jump. However, If you do decide to buy an artic, I have one for sale at present which would probbly suit you :wink: . Speak soon, Simon.
Oh and as for fuel, my 3 run at varying weights and none of them returns anything like your ridgid. More like an average of 7.8mpg.

no mate, it’s exactly the same work, same costomers etc, the only difference will be i’ll do three drops instead of two, basically you get a rate to the furthest drop and then extra for each drop after that, which is where the money is, as the second drop is always on route if you know what i mean? the rates are obviously higher for more weight carried so i.e what would be a £260 job with the rigid would be a £360 job for an artic with the extra drop but still doing relatively the same mileage.
financially i think i’d only be marginally better off but i’d have the benefit of being able to cover any quiet times easier in theory, the problem being with the rigid is it’s virtually useless for anything else as everyone wants curtain siders for paletissed now.

by the way a “six wheeler” has actually got ten tyres :wink:

Paul you have a pm

Paul you have a pm

Think you have a pm, Paul!!

right, things have moved on, and the firm want me to go onto artic and cover ten or so regular drops and the rates look good enough. so back to the running costs, the units and trailers they run all tare at around 14t with the brightbar loads normally at a max 25t so in theory i could put a 4x2 on but looking at the second hand market theres little difference in price (talking old wagons, not new) so basically apart from the obviouse extra two tyres would they be any advantage in a 4x2? in terms of costs? baring in mind although the trailers are loaded max 25t, many are a fair bit less some only carrying 18/19t because some of the bars are eight mtr long. any opinions?

6x2 are far more versatile, but not all 6x2 will go to 44t. Only euro2 equipt motors can do 44, euro 1 can only go to 41t.
VED is £1850 for 4x2 @40t, £1200 for 6x2 @41/44t. Get an RPC & thats down to £700. I run 2 6x2 @44t and 1 4x2 @ 40t, they do different jobs so it’s impossible to say which ones better, but the 6x2’s can do everything the 4x2 can, but the 4x2 can’t do everything the 6x2’s can.

Out of interest, can you tell me why the 6x2@41/44t is cheaper than the 4x2@40t on the VED?

Jules

Tramper:
6x2 are far more versatile, but not all 6x2 will go to 44t. Only euro2 equipt motors can do 44, euro 1 can only go to 41t.
VED is £1850 for 4x2 @40t, £1200 for 6x2 @41/44t. Get an RPC & thats down to £700. I run 2 6x2 @44t and 1 4x2 @ 40t, they do different jobs so it’s impossible to say which ones better, but the 6x2’s can do everything the 4x2 can, but the 4x2 can’t do everything the 6x2’s can.

that will be the plan, euro 2 with rpc on air. i suppose really theres no point in buying a 4x2 and restricting what i can do. the works basically traction only as i’ll be pulling one of their trailers full time on a load and go basis as i do with the rigid now so i’ve only got the running costs of the unit to think about, ved is virtually the same, insurance will be more and of coarse fuel but i’ll have less tyres on the floor and should be making a fair bit more out of each load.
it’s a gamble because i’m doing alright now but potentially it’s a better earner, i’ll just buy something cheap to test the water and see how it pans out.
do you reckon theres any great advantage in a twin steer?

The only advantage I can see with a twin steer is the centre axle tyre gets scrubbed less, however, theres more mechanically to look after/ go wrong.
I suppose the turning circle mightbe alittle better, but only marginally.
Why don’t you employ a driver and do both the rigid work, and artic work?

Boots O’Lead:
Out of interest, can you tell me why the 6x2@41/44t is cheaper than the 4x2@40t on the VED?

Jules

I seem to remember reading somewere that it’s because of the way they calculate road damage ie six axles (on air) causes less road damage than five axles so is cheaper to tax.

paul b:
do you reckon theres any great advantage in a twin steer?

Is 6x2 tractor without twin steer common over there? I’ve never seen such here in Finland. If you buy such I hope that you can get it turning if you ever drive on snow/ice/loose gravel. What I have understood middle steer is mechanically quite durable (never heard of sudden failure).

Tramper:
The only advantage I can see with a twin steer is the centre axle tyre gets scrubbed less, however, theres more mechanically to look after/ go wrong.
I suppose the turning circle mightbe alittle better, but only marginally.
Why don’t you employ a driver and do both the rigid work, and artic work?

no mate, i’ll be doing the same deliveries with the artic as i did with the rigid, plan being, i take three drops out instead of two. today was a prime example, a 12t load to matlock then back to do a 12t load for two drops in leicester, both decent rates, but i could’ve put the lot on a 45ft trailer and been quids in plus probably had time for a local this afternoon on top!
this might be a daft question but if delivering in a yard would most lift the axle to shunt it about?

If possible that would be the Ideal way to do it, but depending on the age of the unit, most lift axles have now gt to be self lowering at a certain weight, so you don’t have the option of lifting them to shunt about. Same prolem when you loose traction, older 6x2’s you could lift the centre and put more weight on the drive, but with newer trucks you just have to struggle on. Most people run new tyres on the front (steering) axle until they need a cut, then put them on the centre lift to scrub them out, this being the most economical use of a 295.
If your doing a lot of off road site work where traction may be a cause for concern, how about a rear lift (Tag axle), they are very good, they transfer weight through the drive more.

off road work is all in the steel works on decent ground so proably no traction problems but some places are tight to get in and out so you don’t want to be strugling. i’ll just be buying something cheap and cheerfull,an ec11 or a daf 85 maybe, just to see how it goes for the next few months, then maybe buy something a bit better, although nobody up here or down in the midlands runs what you’d call decent wagons on the steel. it is actually a fair bit cheaper to buy a unit for the job rather than another rigid, only needs something very basic, low roof cab’s a must and there’ll be very few nights out involved so really i’ll be looking a wagons that nobody else wants, which is handy.

Paul,
You’ll not go wrong getting yourself a decent Foden Alpha with the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ driveline,theres plenty about, secondhand parts are cheap,they are reliable,half decent on the fuel and 15G should easily get you a 51 plate!!! Make sure you get one with the Jake (makes some difference when braking compared to the joke of a DAF engine brake :exclamation: :exclamation: )
This past week I had mine in at the local DAF dealer getting the computer “reprogrammed” so the midlift axle will lift to allow me more grip when I’m loaded to 44T in the quarries.If she can stick my kind of work in the quarries she’ll do your steel work no bother :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :wink:

Tramper:
If possible that would be the Ideal way to do it, but depending on the age of the unit, most lift axles have now gt to be self lowering at a certain weight, so you don’t have the option of lifting them to shunt about. Same prolem when you loose traction, older 6x2’s you could lift the centre and put more weight on the drive, but with newer trucks you just have to struggle on.

Confused I think your wrong there Tramper, most trucks with a mid lift have some sort of method to temporaly increase the weight on the drive wheels for a short period. Merc, Scanny and Volvo midlifts can be raised for about 2 minutes to gain traction when fully laden.

How refreshing to see an OD speccing the truck to suit the job and not just for posing. :slight_smile:

Big Truck has the right idea Paul, I’m a big fan of Fodens, and also seems to have answered Tramper’s point about lifting the mid axle on a modern truck for better traction.

More power to your elbow mate :slight_smile: .

Salut, David.