4x2

hello

i have just ordered my daf ft xf95 530 super space cab with sideskirts etc…

Was that the right choice, as in a 4 x 2 combination, so people were telling me a 6 x 2 but i prefered the look of the 4 x 2 with sideskirts any advice?

barreoty:
hello

i have just ordered my daf ft xf95 530 super space cab with sideskirts etc…

Was that the right choice, as in a 4 x 2 combination, so people were telling me a 6 x 2 but i prefered the look of the 4 x 2 with sideskirts any advice?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

You bought a truck on looks, :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :unamused:

what work is it specced for, local or distance, UK or Europe?

If you only bought it because it has sideskirts and didnt look at the earning potential in your line of work then I doubt you will be in business very long!!

No the work will be long distance i.e. on the continent max 44t, but i will be doing national jobs, nothing heavy, just general haulage to the places that be

max 44t

Not with a 4x2 you wont :open_mouth:

really what can I do with a 4 x 2 then? I never bought it for the looks, it was just the first and best choice I had really. The daf can pull it own hence why I went with it

it was just the first and best choice

What work have you looked into, at what rates , for what tonnage?

How can you evaluate it as…

it was just the first and best choice

if you dont know waht work it is needed for ?

Have you got the work sorted or have you just bought the unit on spec?

The reason I ask is you seem a little unclear, and if you haven’t got the work sorted yet why buy a 530? You could end up doing work were that size of engine is overkill.

You also say you didn’t by it on looks but went for 4x2 because you preferred the look? :confused: :confused: :confused: Is it your first vehicle or have you been a n OD for a while?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Is this a wind-up?? :question: :question: :question:

I hope it is Marcus because the alternative doesn’t paint a very good picture.

I’m not even going to bother commenting on this thread as I think between Neil and Rikki they’re doing a superb job without me interfering :laughing: . It’ll be interesting to see how the thread pans out though, if only for :laughing: purposes.

:sunglasses:

you’d have thought he would claim he’s bought a v8 scania, that would’ve got more reaction :wink:
just another nutter with to much time on his hands and a spare keyboard i suspect.

marcustandy:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Is this a wind-up?? :question: :question: :question:

Coffeeholic:
I hope it is Marcus because the alternative doesn’t paint a very good picture.

:laughing: If it ain’t, there will be a nice 530 SSC for sale cheap pretty soon on Ebay!

you sure its not rob on wind up maybe a ip check is called for
ianyng might be another motor available for you soon

RIKKI UK :: You can carry 44tn on five axles in the BENLUX and if doing
kombi or train work also in GERMANY ,

Coffeeholic:
You could end up doing work were that size of engine is overkill.

Totally agree.
The 530’s are a tad on the thirsty side.
My 480’s will reach upto 12.5mpg when running light, but 7.5 when heavy.
When heavy, the average mpg is around 9.
The odd gear change down is btter than running at 7mpg as an average which is roughly what the 530 will be doing.
Regarding the weight - I’ve never met anyone over the water who runs at 44tonne.
Foreign officials don’t even like 6 leggers over there because they think they run overweight, something which they seem to be getting more and more strict about.
Weighbridge checks are very common in Swiss with those stupid split-bridge things (totally the wrong way to weigh a truck), and the Spanish French border is another hot-spot.

ianny, over a friend of mine has one of the 530 daf and one of the reasons he bought it as he says is for the constant speed it allows even when in the hills,and okay he does manage to fill up a little bit cheaper than in the
UK, AS he says the larger engine repays its self in the amount of driveing time it saves on the runs by cutting time along with good fuel consumption
and he is not the type to waste money, also he changes his lorrys every 3years due to the high mileage accumalated due to the 24/7 way he runs the lorry. A big engined motor can also earn money on the short hauls it just depends on what type of work one is doing,

As you have probably guess I am new.

This is not a win up, I just passed my class 1 or c & e nowadays, and looked about at what cab’s there are. The daf came top of the list, so I just went to the place and picked the most suitable for me, is that wrong blimey, I can change the order if required. I just thought 4x2 @ 530 would be enough. And to confirm yes I prefer the look of the 4x2 that a 6x2 but that was not my reasoning on choosing the 4x2.

Can someone just tell me what I should have got for continental and national up to 44t mainly 40t mind work. As the brochure said the 4x2 can work upto 44t hence another reason I bought it.

Honest help required from a novice, as It looks like from the slating I have done the wrong thing, if so why?

Blimey is right! A new start up, only just passed your test, ordered a Brand new SSC 530 with apparently no set work for it, you can’t blame anyone for thinking this is a wind up, you must have a bulging bank account, your insurance costs alone must be enormous. Best of luck chap.

Honest help required from a novice, as It looks like from the slating I have done the wrong thing, if so why?

To be perfectly frank, from the posts you have made it looks like you have done very little or no research in the whole thing.

Have you got a CPC or arranged a CPC holder?
Have you got an operating centre?
Have you got or applied for your “O” Licence ?

Who will you be pulling for?
Will you sub contract or have you got your own accounts sorted out?
What trailers have you looked at?
Who is your maintainence agreed with?

What terms and conditions are you running under?
How will you purchase fuel, cash, card or bunker?
How will you organise tyres/blowouts etc?

Who will do the admin/invoicing/VAT?
How will you cover holidays/illness etc?
What will be your standing costs?
What is your break even rate per mile?
Have you organised your GIT and what level of cover is it for?

and 100’s of other pertinent questions that you should have looked at and have answers too well before you even think about which truck to buy.

If it was as simple as dropping down to the local truck dealer and buying the first truck you liked the look of, and setting of to far flung places to make your fortune, everyone would be doing it :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I am sorry if we sound a little harsh, but you havent given any indication that you have throughly researched this

You seem a bit naive to be going in as an Owner Driver, Being an Owner Driver is tough, Unless all these Owner Drivers are telling us porkies to keep a nice little number to themselves :laughing:

If you are doing continental work then 4x2 will be okay, UK traction work can be done with a 4x2 and I know people who have done so and made a living, but the rates are lower and they have had to turn down work. 6x2 is better for UK work as it allows you run full weight.

You don’t seem to have a lot of knowledge of the industry which is a bit worrying.

Some questions:
Do you have a CPC or a CPC holder in the company?
Do you have an Operators Licence?
Do you have any work for the truck?
Do you know what rates you will be getting?
Do you know what you bottom line is for rates to cover your costs?
Are you sure you’re not winding us up?
Can you post pictures of your truck, I’d like to see if it would suit our racecar transporter when you sell it. :laughing: