Looking at starting as owner op traction only?

Hi guys i would love to pick peoples brains and ask for advice on the following

• whats the sort of pay rates i should look for to just start with one truck
    *best way/person to get in touch with regards about doing traction only work
    *best place to get fuel card deals /insurance(business and equipment)
    *best to stick to one catagorie of work or to go for anything that is offered up
    *other than o license and the funds to run and maintain what will i need to aquire ?

I am bound to have more questions to ask but if you feel you can answer these and tell me more please reply here ore even pm me that would be great just want to get the right knowlage on how to do this the right way ?

Cheers guys

Not again, no offence mate but this gets asked weekly , just use the search facility as every question you are asking has been done numerous times, oh and on traction with 1 truck you will be told what the rate is , you wont have a say in it, last time i looked it was 1.20 -1.40 a mile

innocence is bliss… :unamused:

dieseldog999:
innocence is bliss… :unamused:

but ignorance isnt :slight_smile:

stay away from maritime/wincantons/bwood and 3 will have you bust with in 6 months

find your own small companies to work for

Consider enrolling in an operator’s cpc course before you do anything else. You will learn a lot about running a transport business that you really need to know and also meet others in the same or a similar position to you, who may well be useful to you later on. It will cost money and take up a lot of your time over several months, but it won’t be money wasted.

Make enquiries with the Dutch firms that send unaccompanied trailers to the UK on the East coast ports, they need UK traction to deliver, reload then drop at the port.
I can’t think of the name, but I see a lot of Dutch food or liquid tankers that are blue and silver trailers, Van Bentum ?
Another Dutch firm with potatoe trailers to ask about .
Garland Laidley transitioes Lda in Porto and Lisbon for hanging garment and groupage loads to and from the UK .
For fuel cards I used AS24, stations all over Europe .
DKV card for breakdown cover .
UK work try Waller transport or UKI express and another options is a super subbie for Gregory distribution limited.
Ask Harry Monk on here, he has a blue Renault Magnum .
Goods in transit insurance to cost out and if doing European work, Cmr insurance.
Bear in mind some loads can be worth millions of pounds .
Maintenance of the truck, and appoved garages or do it yourself .
Traffic Commissioners to deal with if things go wrong with tachograph rules or over loading .
Being paid 30, 60 days or more after the last job.
Having enough funds when applying for an Operating License.

Git usually traction companies tell you what levels of git and public liability and what the ppm or the pence per km is sit down and work out how much it will cost you to do a job and make sure you overcost the fuel

Ask Harry Monk on here, he has a blue Renault Magnum

Isn’t it green?

Toddy2:
Ask Harry Monk on here, he has a blue Renault Magnum

Isn’t it green?

Well, that’s open to debate. The V5 states that it is green, but the nearest touch-up paint I could find in Halford’s (having taken off the towing eye cover and compared it to every single paint lid in there) was Vauxhall caribic blue. I’d describe it as “Aquamarine” although I don’t think that’s a colour that the DVLA recognise.

As a subbie on traction they will tell you the rate. I was doing traction for cobelfret trailers from Purfleet and it was around 1.34 a mile and I was getting extra for been adr equipped. Not sure what it is now but if you have your wits about you you can make a living but not enough to warrant running a motor over a decent job.
The likes of barron wood are a waste of time.
Harry monk subs for Gregory and seems happy.

Do you reckon if we told him there was millions to be made he would have been back by now, annoys me when people dont have the decency to acknowledge the replies given, even if its not what they wanted to hear

My advice is get your head out of this forum and get your head into the study guides for a CPC TM qualification. A lot of your questions will be answered. Get your head into how to run a business if you also want to be successful in your venture. A lot of negative bloggers in here will cloud your judgement based on their short comings. Give it a go and decide your own fate. Dont let someone else tell you yes or no. You want to run your own truck, make your own decisions. You will be the boss one day mate.

Jake_Brake:
My advice is get your head out of this forum and get your head into the study guides for a CPC TM qualification. A lot of your questions will be answered. Get your head into how to run a business if you also want to be successful in your venture. A lot of negative bloggers in here will cloud your judgement based on their short comings. Give it a go and decide your own fate. Dont let someone else tell you yes or no. You want to run your own truck, make your own decisions. You will be the boss one day mate.

VERY WELL SAID :smiley: :smiley:

I was thinking of selling a guide on how to make get a million pounds in transport but I am happy to share it for free:: you get a million pounds in transport by starting with 2 Million :wink:

kr79:
As a subbie on traction they will tell you the rate. I was doing traction for cobelfret trailers from Purfleet and it was around 1.34 a mile and I was getting extra for been adr equipped. Not sure what it is now but if you have your wits about you you can make a living but not enough to warrant running a motor over a decent job.
The likes of barron wood are a waste of time.
Harry monk subs for Gregory and seems happy.

Can I PM you KR79 ?

Yes sure any info may be out of date as I haven’t worked for controversy since 2012

pm sent, but wont leave my outbox ?

hubman:
pm sent, but wont leave my outbox ?

It’ll stay there until he reads it bud.

ok thanks, lrean something new each day