Used Trucks On Truck Trader etc

Looking at grab wagons on Com’ Motor/Truck Trader etc, I’m wondering why so many adverts are POA? Surely being up front about prices would get more interest?
I’ve told my boss about several motors, but he’s not keen when they don’t list the price. It’s not like they’re all “Approved used” spec, many are little more than scrapyard relics or appear as if they’re straight from a travellers’ camp.
Just seen a sickly blue painted 08 reg Scania 8w grab with ropey Boweld body for nearly£40k…Stupidly early April Fools joke?
There’s a 56 reg Axor grab with a rust ridden body for £30k, surely the price is a missprint?
Then there’s the 15 year old Ategos listed as POA… :unamused:

A trader friend of mine said its because you never know the deal people are going to want… if they turn up in a knackered old tractor they want to chop in but it still has £5k of finance on it then its goign to cost the trader £5k in settlement before they can get them in a new truck so if the truck was being shifted quick for £3k profit that makes a £2k hit in short

Never deal with anyone who doesn,t give the price on the ad,for one thing,doubt the legality with the new buy and sell laws. :confused: :wink: :unamused:

saxtonhaulage-andre:
A trader friend of mine said its because you never know the deal people are going to want… if they turn up in a knackered old tractor they want to chop in but it still has £5k of finance on it then its goign to cost the trader £5k in settlement before they can get them in a new truck so if the truck was being shifted quick for £3k profit that makes a £2k hit in short

Your trader friend is a knob
He would get more interest if he was up front with a price,
Same as Ebay, where they put classified ad for £1, then say that buys a wheelnut - puts people right off,
I know several people who will not phone up on principle, even if it looks like what they want - Why Hide the price■■?

Cars are advertised with a price and people may want to chop in there old one that still has finance to clear so can’t see it been the reason many truck dealers don’t price them in adverts.
I’ve always thought it was so if you called about a truck and it was to dear they could offer you something else they have.

40k for that scania sounds about right from what I’ve seen. Seen a lot of rough looking 07/08 scania tippers priced around 30k

I don’t know why a lot of dealers don’t have prices, looking at European truck sale websites European dealers seem to put prices on adverts, but from my experience as it only takes a quick phone call to get the price and I’d phone up anyway with a few more questions before I decide it worth having a look, so if you’re genuinely interested in buying a truck whats the problem?

kr79:
Seen a lot of rough looking 07/08 scania tippers priced around 30k

Notably ex Thames Materials.

Few of there’s and a few from Ireland with big rock body’s.
The Thames ones would be a better bet

prices for grabs are very strong at the moment,
ive seen one identical to mine ( 11 plate CF 410 8legger/epsilon crane/thompson body),although its done nearly 100,000kms less than mine,and looked very very tidy- 75 grand plus vat!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

the reason they advertise ase POA is nothing more than sheer greed…poa stands for …PRIX ONLY APPLY. I had a retil garage fr years and always flagged up the prices.you can drop for no trade in,or allow a trade in at the flag price assuming you’ve marked it up enough to inflate the trade in figure and keep the punter happy.anything ive ever bought,then out of principle I would never contact a poa advert.just nothing but greed on the sellers behalf looking for a mug.
its the same on ebay…I constantly send the same message for various things im buying…Im too far away to view,i don’t bid,and don’t offer.whats your bottom line and il buy it if acceptable…if its listed anywhere else, i.e gumtree etc,the come back with a price,but on ebay they invariably come back with…make me an offer…just total greed.

kr79:
Few of there’s and a few from Ireland with big rock body’s.
The Thames ones would be a better bet

I see “Cormac Leonard” on the adds and then read no further. A shame you can’t screen out the Irish ones with their corrugated tipper bodies. :laughing:

show the price I say. they know what they want for the truck they know what it has cost them they know how much profit they want to make

busy fool:
show the price I say. they know what they want for the truck they know what it has cost them they know how much profit they want to make

Here, Here, I am with you busy! :wink: :wink:

I can sort of understand POA on top notch kit but a 10 year old Iveco Eurocargo?

If they put prices on it would save them answering the phone god knows how many times a day to enquirers tgat will go nowhere.

kr79:
If they put prices on it would save them answering the phone god knows how many times a day to enquirers tgat will go nowhere.

he point is,that they might go somewhere and if so,and because its advertised as Prix ONLY Apply ,then they will make sure its got winter tyres on,and have smeared a half pound of butter on the bonnet before you get there.just simple greed on behalf of the seller.

dieseldog999:

kr79:

he point is,that they might go somewhere and if so,and because its advertised as Prix ONLY Apply ,then they will make sure its got winter tyres on,and have smeared a half pound of butter on the bonnet before you get there.just simple greed on behalf of the seller.

I don’t care if POA or not but how can it possibly be greed?? save for a bit of haggling the price is the price!
if you ring or email and ask you will get a price if you don’t like the price don’t buy it!
if you see it advertised with a price & don’t like it you don’t buy it, same outcome

Nothing to do with greed at all,
here are a few reasons as i see it:
most truck dealers are old school ie “they’ve always done it that way”

valuing trucks is a very grey art & dealers like to keep there retail & trade prices away from other dealers, Banks, finance company’s, lease firms, ie anyone they BUY stock from,

truck prices fluctuate (up & down) very quickly especially tippers by not advertising a price they can react quicker especially with printed adverts (CM, Truck locator etc)

ignorance is bliss…ive been in the motor trade for 40 years.i had my own retail pith with 40+ cars,credit broker licence …the full pudding…poa is mugs please apply.just in case you think itl be more than what there looking for…just 1 way of selling that suits some and don’t others.its there to suit the trader,not you.

I agree its to suit the trader but cant see how it could affect what the buyer pays?
could you explain?

I know a couple of ex car salesmen who say poa is used like the “car of the week” nonsense. A hook method used to lure in punters. A hook truck is advertised, someone rings up to be told that amazingly it has just been sold. The dealer will then try to flog them something remotely similar that has a far better profit margin or inflated asking price. This they will reduce to give the impression of a great deal.

At least truck dealers don’t do those VIP events with canapes, fake invitations and blacked out windows though.