Renault midlum 190dxi

Hi all new on here

I have a midlum 190 that keeps going into limp mode.

On dash comes up with injector inoperative. I have had it to 3 garages that have all failed to cure it. It’s becoming a money pit.

Has any1 any experience with this?

Had new injectors
High n low pressure pumps replaced
Add blue mapped out
New nox sensor.

i think it has been mentioned that the loom can be at fault

What codes does it throw up ? When the injectors were changed did they replace the tubes as well ? It’s defiantly not Nox/ Emission related.

Steve

Hi, I know it’s a late response but here’s my experience (£££££) with a Renault Midlum 190dxi 2007.
Same thing, kept dropping into limp mode, sometimes once a week, nearer the repair 5 times in a journey from Manchester to Preston. Injection inoperative warning on dash, pic of injector.
After diagnostics and few garage trips we found iron filings in pre fuel filter/ water trap attached to side of ad blue tank and tank.
Fault codes were fuel pressure low on diagnostics.
I replaced injectors, both high pressure pumps, low pressure pump, both fuel filters and flushed fuel lines and emptied the tank and got out as much as poss of the swarf/filings. I also replaced the fuel pressure Valve (you can’t buy this alone from Renault, but Daf sell it for £110 and it’s exactly the same) also replaced the tubes with the recon injectors. ££££££’s
But…touch wood, it’s stopped dropping into limp mode. Don’t like tempting fate, but it’s been on a few runs and been OK for a few weeks after repairs
Spoke with Renault stealers and they say that they’re a pain in the ■■■ for limp mode and that they struggle to get to the bottom of the problem. COMPUTER SAYS NO!!
One of the workshop controllers also said that they have ECU problems, that’s the only part I have not replaced. They’ve even had Renault Trucks UK in and their response is to keep replacing all of the above mentioned parts, without any consideration for the customers pocket until you go away and don’t ever come back. (Just joking)
Also check the in tank sender unit and blow out the pick up pipes with an air line. The pick up pipes are made from metal and have had one break away at the weld, again just an elimination, but the broken metal could’ve found its way to the pressure valve or regulator on the fuel rail and they sense the flow of fuel and send it into limp d#ck mode
It may not be any of the above but it’s nice to pass on a bit of knowledge from my bad luck to help any other victim out.
Low press pump £330, high pressure pumps £720 after handing your old units back in, injectors £960 for 4, fuel filters £50.
The joys of trucking!!

Used to get a similar problem with Renault Master vans. Telltale was always metal filings in the bottom of the fuel filter. Seemingly the fuel filter isn’t fine enough to stop small metal particles getting through and clogging the injectors. The ECU then detects too much fuel flowing back through the leak off pipe and put it into limp often when you lift of the gas, idling or are on overrun.

The cause of the filings was the low pressure lift pump in the tank so I’m wondering if Renault used the same part on the Midlum as it was common to Master, Vivaro, Laguna and Espace and caused the same problems with all of them. Often the injectors would get replaced and the high pressure pump but not the pump in the tank which would cause the same problem again.

We found that if you changed the low pressure pump first and ran it for a while with the old injectors in you could usually get away without replacing the high pressure pump. I dread to think how many dealers replaced of these unnecessarily. Mind you the Renault dealer recommended way to proceed for a van, with a stubborn to remove injector, was to smash the plastic rocker cover to pieces with a hammer to get at the head bolts then simply throw the whole head away and put a new one on.

Yes it was Def down to the swarf and filings as you say disrupting the fuel flow. The injectors got sent to Feather Diesels in Halifax and they said there was iron filings under the return seals, which also made it a slow starter when firing it up.
The Midlump-of-■■■■■■ low pressure pump runs off the flywheel, but it was all down to process of elimination and unfortunately at my cost. But at least I did the majority of the labour myself, so saved on doing what any other mechanic would’ve had to do to get to the bottom of it.
Thanks for the input, just hope it helps anyone in the same predicament if they’re having similar problems.
Theres not enough, if any, HGV mechanical forums to help point you in the right direction. With cars there’s plenty of sites to share common faults for repairs.

Deutz engine - Nightmare

Best thing on common rails is to fasten some rare earth magnets (get them on ebay) to the filters or the filter housings.They pull any pump swarf out the fuel and stop it being recirculated.When you change the filters just put the magnets back on the new filters.If yours is the paper element type pull the filter wipe the inside of the can where the magnet is and fit the new paper unit.

Fit them on the oil filters as well as they pull crap out the oil too.Get highest grade but watch your fingers with the buggers,they can give you a nasty bloody nip.

Hi,

I am hoping you can help me. I have a renault midlum 190dci that is limping/loss of power. On the instrument panel it is showing an injector sign, and it is displaying the following codes:
Eecu 0 00164 12 126
Vecu 0 00608 09 003
Vecu 0 00639 09 006
Vecu 0 00704 04 002
Vecu 0 01858 04 002
Vecu 0 00597 17 127

These codes all show up on the truck instument panel when we try to drive the truck.

Any assistance will be kindly appreciated.