Iveco stralis ebs

Hi all got a 10 plate stralis with an ebs light on the dash please see attached photo of diagnostic display also a 57 plate but I have to find out what code is coming up when it is next in, we changed the brake pads on the 10 plate which did not work please could somebody let me know the possible symptoms

thanks in advance

also the 57 plate comes up with 040E we tightened the wheel bearings and the light still comes on some of the time

Many thanks
charlie

Hi
Not sure if you got sorted. I have a 07 stralis with ebs ( electronic braking system) coming up on the dash. I spoke to iveco when it was last in ( they code read it)and they said it was the abs wheel sensor failing. I have looked at it since and it has a ring behind the disk with teeth on it or like a castleated nut if you understand. These teeth go past the sensor and make the abs work as it counts them. What happens is the teeth rot and come off and catch the sensor. The worst problem iveco said was that all the bolts snap so ends up expensive like £800 yet sensor only £50 or so. I’m going to do my own when I get the time. Hope that helps.

Hi no still not sorted so are you getting the same code up as us?

Cheers

EBS has nothing to do with ABS.Thats why its called EBS.

ABS is a stand alone system.Would suggest you need a new caliper as there is no signal or a bad signal from the pad wear sensor.Maybe a siezed/broken tappet chain.

Hi all new member have iveco strallis eruo5 506 2008 registration have ebs light on dash also a orange flashing light on left screen showing rear axle and midlift with wheels turned does anyone know what that means I know ebs electric braking system but can’t get any reading on diagnostics

Hi all new member have iveco strallis eruo5 506 2008 registration have ebs light on dash also a orange flashing light on left screen showing rear axle and midlift with wheels turned does anyone know what that means I know ebs electric braking system but can’t get any reading on diagnostics also took it for Mot with two axle semi lowloader with 16 tons on trailer couldn’t get any reading on midlift axle tester got all uptight and I had to abort the test which I was not happy about but he was talking about putting gv9 on it because ebs light came on the discs and pads are in almost new condition just fitted new discs and pads on front what sort of weight does it need on trailer for midlift axle to have a reading in rollers I’ve never had any dealings with airbag suspension only spring suspension it’s a whole new ball game it seems grateful for any knowledge

Hiller 12ABC:
Hi all new member have iveco strallis eruo5 506 2008 registration have ebs light on dash also a orange flashing light on left screen showing rear axle and midlift with wheels turned does anyone know what that means I know ebs electric braking system but can’t get any reading on diagnostics also took it for Mot with two axle semi lowloader with 16 tons on trailer couldn’t get any reading on midlift axle tester got all uptight and I had to abort the test which I was not happy about but he was talking about putting gv9 on it because ebs light came on the discs and pads are in almost new condition just fitted new discs and pads on front what sort of weight does it need on trailer for midlift axle to have a reading in rollers I’ve never had any dealings with airbag suspension only spring suspension it’s a whole new ball game it seems grateful for any knowledge

Hi there, have you got a photo of the light on the dash? Does the ebs light go out at all or is it always on? Where you getting no reading on the middle axle or just very low like 1-200kg? If you message me there is a way of getting better pressure/effort on the middle axle but two other methods are have it up to max weight/just over as that’s the only way we’ve had any decent readings from the middle. But not many testers are aware of it but in their methods of testing there is a procedure called non standard brake testing which should apply here and it is designed for situations like these where the middle axles provide little effort, but I think you need two locks to be eligible, if you are they add all of the kgs up (and add 25% per lock) and divide it by the presented weight and as long as you are over the required percentage (can’t remember what it is off the top of my head) then it should be a pass. Where are you based? Hope this is some help.

Hi don’t have picture of light but will get one Monday these iveco strallis are I’m told a nightmare to get brakes up to standard I was told that the middle axle does not get full pressure until vehicle is in forward motion I’m going to try to move slider forward if possible but trailer is old craven tasker 1980 vintage so neck is not as long as modern trailers so can’t get weight over midlift which would help trouble is most of the old school testers have retired and these new youngsters don’t understand what your talking about I told him about if you get lock out on front and rear axles they should pass vehicle he thought I was off my rocker the ebs stays on permently by the way too many electrical crap on these newer vehicles

If you can get a fault code through the dash I’ll see if I can work out what the fault is. Like I say most testers don’t know about it but it is a thing and if you tell them about it they should be able to pass it.

I`m sure cav551 on here has posted about Iveco mid lift brakes in the past.
May be try a search or pm, I don’t think you can tag people on here.

Hiller 12ABC:
Hi don’t have picture of light but will get one Monday these iveco strallis are I’m told a nightmare to get brakes up to standard I was told that the middle axle does not get full pressure until vehicle is in forward motion I’m going to try to move slider forward if possible but trailer is old craven tasker 1980 vintage so neck is not as long as modern trailers so can’t get weight over midlift which would help trouble is most of the old school testers have retired and these new youngsters don’t understand what your talking about I told him about if you get lock out on front and rear axles they should pass vehicle he thought I was off my rocker the ebs stays on permently by the way too many electrical crap on these newer vehicles

Really need some diagnostics on the EBS fault or it’s just ■■■■■■■ in the wind really.

On the testing front, yes they are a nightmare on two fronts, both braking, the middle axle and the parking brake.
For the middle you need loads of weight on the drive axle because it only sends any air pressure at all to the middle brake chambers when the very high pre-set limit on the drive is exceeded which normally more easily reached, as you say, when the truck is in motion.

The parking brake problem is that it’s not really designed to hold anything more than just the unit because Ivecos pressurise the yellow line to the trailer when the parking brake is on so it doesn’t need to hold the whole combination. Sometimes you can squeak it through by just putting new pads but it can end up with new chambers. The other thing is to press the foot brake pedal before applying the parking brake which is not technically allowed but many time served testers will allow this because they know of the problems with them.

As you say, newer younger testers aren’t aware of the issues. Ideally go to an ATF that sees a lot of them and also has a loaded trailer to hire that has a lot of weight on the pin.

Hi guys thanks for your comments maybe I will plumb the airlines from rear axle into midlift bypassing all the electronic crap then should get better reading on midlift .jim.

The tester was talking about a PG9 because the EBS warning light was on so you must sort that before representing the vehicle. He was also upset, because if I have read you correctly, axle 2 recorded zero effort.

OAD has more regular experience of these vehicles than me since these days I am primarily interested in the trailers but I fully agree with what he is saying anyway. Everytime a trailer goes for rota RBT the unit gets tested as well. Getting good RBT figures is a challenge because I am limited by the combination’s revenue weight so I cannot fully load it even if I do have enough heavy product to hand on the day. The normal payload on our tandems is between 6 and 9 tonnes so keeping within the weight limit and distributing the load with weight over the axles is not easy. Generally I have to have two blocks added at the ATF to get the trailer bogie weight high enough to produce the 50% plus that I want to see. (I do not rely upon passing on locks).

I have half a dozen RBT print outs in front of me for a 16 reg 6x2 Stralis. These show that unless you can get the unit axle weights over 20t total you will struggle to get midlift readings of more than about 1000kg across the axle. The print outs show an axle weight of around 3 to 4 tonnes for that sort of reading. At just under 6t on the midlift I can read 2500kg across the midlift. At 16000 GVW and a midlift weight of 2750kg I only get just over 150kg.

As OAD says borrowing a trailer with a very high pin weight is the best solution since the weight on the drive axle needs to be 10t to transfer enough air to the midlift airbags and thus weight onto the midlift. Our fifth wheel sliders are set back a couple of notches anyway, because of the steepness of one loading bank we have to collect from, but Paul at Lenham ATF, who sees vehicles through test all day long, recommends moving the slider back rather than forward to increase drive axle weight instead of assuming the opposite will improve matters. This however could make obtaining locks on axle 3 parking less certain.

You should find ISO connectors to check airbag and brake chamber pressures for axle 2.

I certainly agree with what is said about the testers.

DON’T plumb axle 3 into axle 2. You may well get towed away with a PG9 if you do that.

There is no reason why you cannot arrange with the ATF to present your unit with their borrowed trailer and then connect to your own trailer and test that or the opposite way round.

Hi okay have to forget plumbing midlift to rear axle trouble is the aft does not have a trailer so next time I will load trailer with cat 951 crawler and this time place bucket onto Swan neck above fith wheel the machine weighs 13 tonnes so with tracks right up to front of trailer this should give enough weight over both axles to get better reading on midlift and yes maybe move slider back it’s positioned about middle of both axles at present and yes need to sort the ebs light it wasn’t on until I arrived at test station typical got guy with the full diagnostic kit coming so hoping to find what’s up only aft with weighted trailer no space available for months because not enough DVSA staff available to man all AFT stations can’t believe garages own staff went sent to DVSA to learn the procedures and privatised it properly after closing local test halls .

When presenting a three axle unit you need at least 65 percent of the vehicle plated weight ( they might abandon test if there is little weight on the front of trailer ) , the non standard brake test procedure only is used if there are NO visible defects with the brake systems so guessing as the ebs system has a fault the tester didn’t use the non standard procedure ? Also I’m guessing the reason they said about a pg9 because you had little or no effort at a wheel as that is a pg9 and stralis needs to the weight or the brake won’t operate, there is a guide for presenting vehicles for brake test online which is helpful for people unsure or inexperienced of how a vehicle should be prepared or taken for test .
Have been taking units and trailers for test for years and never take a unit without a full load on as it just causes hassle and a good run loaded cleans everything up nicely on the way to test