Mileage rates??

there can be, at the same time a lot of work isn’t paid on a mileage rate but for the load delivered, you could split that up into miles done to give a rate per mile if you wished but that would only be of benefit if you were taking a full load from a to b and then coming back empty i.e if your pick up ten ton from one costomer and another ten ton up from another that are for two difffernt jobs, say fifty mile apart it would be difficult to actually put a mileage rate on the job overall, i personally take the veiw that a load rate should be profitable based on coming back empty so if you can then sort out something back it’s a bonus. as with the van man on £1.00 per loaded mile it’s sounds great but if he’s coming back empty he’s infact working at 50p a mile and earning next to nothing!
different firms, different work, different contracts means everybody earns their money in different ways for instance, i get paid waiting time after the first hour loading which because of the nature of the job can be quite a large sum monthly but don’t get any waiting time paid on tipping, others will get it on tipping but not loading at different rates. i always smile when i read people saying you can’t make money out of owner driving, how can they possibly know when they don’t know what rate each person is running for or what agreement they’ve got for added payments?