Thinking of starting up

Hi people wondering if anybody could tell me how i would go about starting up on my own, iam 25 years old been driving class 2 for 2 years and i have my class 1 test on the 25th of this month, iam sick of working for cowboys and have seen a few owner operators who pull for morrisons at northwich doing quite well out of it.
How much capital would i need to start, is it a good idea to buy a new wagon rather than second hand, would my lack of experience be a problem and most of all is morrisons any good as its very close to where i live.
I would be really gratefull if anybody could give me some advice. Thanks.

Sorry I cannot help with your questions but
good luck if you choose to go down the
owner driver road :smiley: .

Thanks anyway convoy

My personal opinion is to wait a while until you get a bit more time under your belt driving class 1.

That way if you make mistakes (which will happen 'coz it happens to us all) it will be in sombody eles motor not your own.The other thing is you may decide you dont like driving class 1 & if you’ve gone out and tied yourself into 3/4/5 finance deal you will be stuck.

I would join an agency to get some variety in your work & that will help you decide what type of work you would like to do if you still want to be an O/D in a few years time

Thanks north surrey i will take your advice onboard.

Sorry for being blunt, but don’t do it ! You’ll just be another one holding the rates down running about for a quid a mile if you’re lucky.

:unamused:

Thats ok rob k i value everybodys opinion, but i feel iam coming to the end of my teather with all the crap companies in my area this is maybe a last resort and if so another driver to add to the shortages.

Hi Wharty, take NSH advice. Get some years under your belt first, make sure driving is your future. I dont know your financial standing, but you need £6200 in your account for 3 months before applying for your O licence, but you probably need about 3 times that amount for running costs in your first 3 months. It is not easy to start up, your insurance would be mega at 25 with not a lot of experience.

Sorry, my best advice would be to wait a while and get as much experience driving class 1 as you can.

Wharty,

You’re in the right place for good sound advice and there have been some valuable contributions to this question (which has been asked quite a few times before).

Search through the back-posts as a lot of the info is relatively timeless i.e. it still applies. If my memory serves me right, Ianyng posted quite a comprehensive list of start-up procedures and costs while he was going through it all. Search back through all his posts.

Another point to remember is that paulb seems to be doing OK as an OD - with a rigid! You don’t have to run an artic…

THANKS GUYS REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP.
IF ANYBODY KNOWS MORE ABOUT MORRISONS AT NORTHWICH,LIKE WEATHER THEY PAY WELL OR ANY OTHER MORRISONS DEPOT THEN LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW CHEERS.

I don’t know about Morrisons but 12 months ago Tesco at Middlewich were paying about £320 per shift or arounf £1.10 per mile per shift which ever works out the greater. I would think Moggys pay a similar amount.
Getting onto either is another thing as a lot of subbies for both firms run several trucks 24 hrs a day and can switch trucks in and out as they are needed.
If you got somebody to go into parnership with you and then went to either and offered a truck that was available for 2 shifts 24hrs aday they may be interested, the earnings are such that a new truck on contract hire could well be justified, otherwise as a one man band you could end up as a Fire Engine, e.g. only needed when they were in the [zb] like at nights and w/ends.
The Man to speak to at Tesco is Stuart Taylor on 01606 317230.

Rob K:
Sorry for being blunt, but don’t do it ! You’ll just be another one holding the rates down running about for a quid a mile if you’re lucky.

talkin daft and making exaggerated statements is one thing but the bloke has asked for some advice on a subject you clearly know absolutely nothing about and when you’ve been put on the spot you can’t justify anything you say about haulage rates either! perhaps it’d be better if you stayed on the general forums rather than this, that way no new comer will be missled.

paul b:

Rob K:

talkin daft and making exaggerated statements is one thing but the bloke has asked for some advice on a subject you clearly know absolutely nothing about and when you’ve been put on the spot you can’t justify anything you say about haulage rates either! perhaps it’d be better if you stayed on the general forums rather than this, that way no new comer will be missled.

Dead right Paul. Rob, the guy is doing the right thing and looking into the project. Seeking advice is the most sensible route, going to the bank and asking for a loan for a venture thats not been researched and looked into with budgets and realistic earning projections will result in rejection.
Most importantly the bank will be looking for drive and commitment to the project, as most succesfull companies started off as one man bands running on the edge, shedding blood sweat and tears.
I was talking to a retired bloke who used to work for British Salt at Middlewich, and he was reminising on the days when old man Irlam started up, with a trailer with no floor as the timber had rotted away just leaving the bearers to carry the pallets :open_mouth: nuff said.
Eeeeee lad, they wert days :slight_smile:

Big Joe:

paul b:

Rob K:

Dead right Paul. Rob, the guy is doing the right thing and looking into the project. Seeking advice is the most sensible route, going to the bank and asking for a loan for a venture thats not been researched and looked into with budgets and realistic earning projections will result in rejection.
Most importantly the bank will be looking for drive and commitment to the project, as most succesfull companies started off as one man bands running on the edge, shedding blood sweat and tears.
I was talking to a retired bloke who used to work for British Salt at Middlewich, and he was reminising on the days when old man Erlam started up, with a trailer with no floor as the timber had rotted away just leaving the bearers to carry the pallets :open_mouth: nuff said.
Eeeeee lad, they wert days :slight_smile:

I don’t understand you guys :imp: . Why are you encouraging more people to start up as owner drivers and fill their heads with ideas that they can make money out of it :question:

The fact of it is that you CAN’T.

I refer you back to the “running bent” thread where the fact still remains that with the exception of 1% of the owner driver population who have been in the industry for the past 30 years and have managed to prove themselves and secure half-decent rates, the rest of you are running round bent as a banana just trying to break even, never mind making a profit.

The sooner you lot realise that, the better for all of us. :bulb: :bulb:

The only reason you all start up is because you want to pose about with a 580 V8 T-cab Scania and couldn’t give a toss how much it costs you (on every level) to do it :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Rob K:
I don’t understand you guys :imp: . Why are you encouraging more people to start up as owner drivers and fill their heads with ideas that they can make money out of it :question:

Try telling coffeeholic that - he’s been going a dozen or more years now so you would think if he wasn’t making any money he should be bankrupt and on the streets by now, surely?

repton:

Rob K:

Try telling coffeeholic that - he’s been going a dozen or more years now so you would think if he wasn’t making any money he should be bankrupt and on the streets by now, surely?

I refer you back to my post to read the rest of it :unamused: .

Rob K:

But I can, I have accounts to prove it.

Rob K:
I refer you back to the “running bent” thread where the fact still remains that with the exception of 1% of the owner driver population who have been in the industry for the past 30 years and have managed to prove themselves and secure half-decent rates, the rest of you are running round bent as a banana just trying to break even, never mind making a profit.

O.K. like you and many others I may have borrowed a few minutes here and there to stop at prefered locations, but I’ve never run without tachos or removed fuses to get another job in to keep going. keeping the outgoings at sensible levels means the job is sustainable if work go’s a bit thin.

Rob K:
The sooner you lot realise that, the better for all of us. :bulb: :bulb:

How does that work then Rob :question: It cost a company more to use a subbie than run their own truck and pay a driver, or even a agency driver.

Rob K:
The only reason you all start up is because you want to pose about with a 580 V8 T-cab Scania and couldn’t give a toss how much it costs you (on every level) to do it :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

The coffee has always smelt fine, hows the chip on your shoulder, must be done by now.

Big Joe:
I don’t know about Morrisons but 12 months ago Tesco at Middlewich were paying about £320 per shift or arounf £1.10 per mile per shift which ever works out the greater. I would think Moggys pay a similar amount.
Getting onto either is another thing as a lot of subbies for both firms run several trucks 24 hrs a day and can switch trucks in and out as they are needed.

This from a bloke who knows what he is talking about!

Rob K wrote:

And this from another bloke who knows what he is talking about!

Rob K is offering good advice to a young lad who hasnt even passed his driving test yet, why put false hope there? I know a lot of owner drivers who have made a living, I know far more who have been stitched up by false promises, misguided fools and greedy finance companies

lOOK PEOPLE ALL I WANNA DO IS START UP A GOOD ONE MAN BAND, AND ONE DAY RUNNING A DECENT BUSINESS THAT CAN EMPLOY A FEW DRIVERS WORKING THE WAY THEY WANT TO AND WITHIN THE LAW.
I HAVE AT LEAST 10 GRAND AT THE MOMENT AND ITS BEEN THERE FOR 18 MONTHS SO OK FOR THE OPERATOR LICENCE AND WAS THINKING OF RUNNING 24HRS WITH A MATE OF MINE SO THAT COULD BE OK TO.
IS IT GONNA BE WORTH IT THOUGH.

WHARTY:
IS IT GONNA BE WORTH IT THOUGH.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME, NO!