Getting there, slowly but surely

At long last, I was granted my o license on Friday ,its only taken 12 weeks !!. There was a few problems with the o/centre, the locals not wanting another truck near them, even though the land has been used as industrial use over a hundred years, the houses have been built round it ,in the last twenty years, so of course they have more rights !!. I’ve got restrictions of movement , but asked for “emercency use” once in once out a week ,which has been granted. So this week coming up, will be the last one for the agency. Then i can spend time getting everything into place. This starting up as an owner driver idea, sure is easy :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley: :slight_smile: :frowning: :cry: :smiling_imp: :imp: :frowning: :slight_smile: :smiley: some of the motions u go through TRY IT.

Good luck topcat :smiley:

topcat:
At long last, I was granted my o license on Friday ,its only taken 12 weeks !!. There was a few problems with the o/centre, the locals not wanting another truck near them, even though the land has been used as industrial use over a hundred years, the houses have been built round it ,in the last twenty years, so of course they have more rights !!. I’ve got restrictions of movement , but asked for “emercency use” once in once out a week ,which has been granted. So this week coming up, will be the last one for the agency. Then i can spend time getting everything into place. This starting up as an owner driver idea, sure is easy :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley: :slight_smile: :frowning: :cry: :smiling_imp: :imp: :frowning: :slight_smile: :smiley: some of the motions u go through TRY IT.

You’re off your head :unamused: BUT GOOD LUCK :smiley: .

:confused:

It’s dog eat dog out there,but good luck m8. :wink:

The boy’s a fool - but hey, what the hell.
It’s fun! :unamused:

good luck, he who dares wins and all that.

Thanx guy’s, i know it’s a big risk (financially).But we have been working hard with a couple of people who are excellent at this kind of job,so hopefully with the costings done , financially we should be ok. Just leaves me to find a professional company to work for.(is this where it all starts going wrong ?)

Definately some crappo companies out there that you could pull for.
What you gonna be doing?
UK ( yuk! ) or Euro?

Rob K:

topcat:

You’re off your head :unamused: BUT GOOD LUCK :smiley: .

:confused:

I AGREE!!! BUT BEST OF LUCK TO YER!

topcat:
Thanx guy’s, i know it’s a big risk (financially).But we have been working hard with a couple of people who are excellent at this kind of job,so hopefully with the costings done , financially we should be ok. Just leaves me to find a professional company to work for.(is this where it all starts going wrong ?)

YES!!! All looks good on paper, costings figures etc. Let us know in a few months how much your overdraft has gone up to!

You need to get in with a really good company if you have any chance of starting off on a good note

Also try and keep your overheads low, DONT spend top money and a flash motor!!! My first truck was approx £13500. The price of a new car I guess. Served me well and it was doing the continent. Had few mishaps ( and they werent cheap to fix) but all in all a good motor. Thats when I made a mistake, sold it and bought an newer one (still second hand) but £30,000. Had it 3 weeks, engine seized after oil shot out the back of it!! Also got ripped off by a freight forwarder.Downhill from there!!

Euro , done 8 yrs euro work, much better roads had no real major problems with police or robbers ,But if someone wants to pay top rates in uk then u dont turn it away. So who knows . One thing that did make me angry with insurer’s was if u mention Italy or Greece they seem to think they are the only 2 countries with problems, I said in all the time ive been abroad, never been any problems, had more trouble in MSA’s in UK.

routier ,thanks for the advice ,dont worry i know what u mean. Please pm with the freight forwarder to avoid, or mention them name and shame them so everyone knows to avoid them.

Might be able to throw some work your way if its Euro you’re after. I’ll be after someone to help out soon.
What part of the UK are you based?
Got a truck sorted yet?
Re comments made by Routier, used trucks aren’t so good, especially on long distance Euro work.
I’m in for a hell of a lot of money at the moment, and truck servicing and little niggles need fixing after every foreign trip. Down time loses me money and doesn’t do a lot for my company image, so I’m getting shut and leasing new ones.
Avoid all the firms that advertise in the mags week in - week out. Their rates are crap. £1800 for a Spanish round trip won’t pay the bills.
Italy is better paid and you can get insurance. Let me know if you want a good broker.
Relying on just one firm is not good either. Companies will reduce your pay by deducting trailer rental, GIT insurance and what ever else they can think of.
There are a few good folks on here that’ll give you some great advice - take it.
Are you getting your own trailer?
What are you doing about fuel cards?
What about toll cards?
What Euro tractor you gonna get?
How much is your parking gonna be?
Are you a limited company or a sole trader?
Got an accountant and a business bank account?
Are you VAT registered?
What about ferries and transit forms and customs clearences?
All these cost money.
Do your homework very carefully and fingers crossed - you might make it into the third month.
Sorry if I’m telling you things that you already know - but I’m speaking with experience and it’s all to easy to overlook something.

Ian.

ianyng:
Might be able to throw some work your way if its Euro you’re after. I’ll be after someone to help out soon.

:confused: :frowning: :confused: :question:

Owner-driver Rob.

Ianyng thank’s for info and soooooo many questions!!,I;ve looked at both to buy and lease, Favourite so far is to lease brand new. I decided along time ago the next truck i drove abroad had to be flat floor, so MAN and Mercedes were chosen .Two quotes have arrived, about the same price.(£1,550 pm) including r&m, But Merc have the edge at the moment, Im testing a TGA next week, so wait and see what MV trucks can offer me. Insurance best quote so far, truck/trailer fully comp £3,519 GIT rha/cmr £920 full italy & Greece cover P/L £395 2million cover. Have’nt sorted trailer out yet. Fuel card maybe AS24, maybe eurotraffic but they want £1500 up front for six months.Tolls i have paid cash, only cos i dont use many. My company is a partnership (wife), vat reg ,my accountant is an x tax inspector ,buisness account done.
Do u work for freight forwarder in Morley Leeds?

Archies? Yep… :blush: :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Try Kelberg at Oxford for a lease quote on a new 'un.
IDS are fab for Euro cards, no dosh up front. (Ask me if you wanna name & phone number). Toll cards can be got via Fuelserve.
Insurance is bloody cheap isn’t it? :imp:
Who’ve you used for your GIT and public liability?

Leaving Archies very soon. :cry: :cry:

Beware of Mercedes! Great truck, crap back up! personal experience. If you do go for a merc, (shameless plug follows!) I have a 6x2 auto mega space for sale> :smiley:

best quote so far was from Davis Corporate Risks.www.thedavisgroup.co.uk. tel.01638600085. Who are u going to work for next ianyng?.Tramper ,they r all the same i broke down in a suburb east milan, the local scania was 10 mins away took 4 hrs for them to turn up. I got Kelbergs catalogue, so might give them a ring , but they only do Volvo & Daf not flat floor but worth a try just to see the rates .Yer please give info on IDS, used a few of the sites abroad. If u have any good contacts for trailers pass info on thanks