Fuel Prices

Are you guys serious about those fuel prices. Looking at the UK ones, it is actually more expensive to have a fuel card than it is to pay pump price !

That’s total madness.
Pump price at both Tesco and Shell in Huntingdon is 88.9p, or 75.6p ex vat.
How can securicor justify over 80p ex vat…

I guess thers different scales dependant on how much you use per week, my Securicor Fuelserv cards are coming in at around 75.3 this week, but it aint much ifferent to the pump price. However, the conveiniance of drivers having cards, rather than paying cash or taking my credit card with them, along with the 10 or so days credit make fuel cards very handy.

I’ve got an allstar card too !! I don’ t use any card if it’s above pump prices

filled up the landrover yesterday 88.9ppl inc vat at St Audries Garage, West Quantoxhead (75.66 ex VAT)

It just seems mad to me that you don’t get any real discount for the amount of fuel that you use.
As for the 10 days credit, you get 56 days on most credit cards. Which has to be the best interest free payment period available for fuel ■■

I agree with what you are saying leehellcat

Having a fuel card does mean paying more although smartdiesel seems to be good on price.

I’m also toying with the idea of getting a credit card that does cash back I here American Express gives upto 2.5% back at the end of the year.

I know a garage that is charging .849 at the moment (.72)

So if I bought 1000lt per week for 50 weeks =£42450
with 2.5% cashback = £1061.25

I totally agree, for the O/D credit cards make perfect sense, thats the way I did it with one truck. but as good as my drivers are, let them loose with a company credit card? You must be joking! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tramper:
I totally agree, for the O/D credit cards make perfect sense, thats the way I did it with one truck. but as good as my drivers are, let them loose with a company credit card? You must be joking! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I did use my business card ( there’s only the missus and me refuelling) but it was a pain getting her to keep receipts - so I got the all-star - less credit but much easier for doing the VAT!!!

I wouldn’t issue company credit cards to drivers either - you only have to fall out with one and it’s problem time :wink:

re the 80ppl price - if I don’t use the card for a couple of weeks they’ll be on the phone - last time I got a cut of 4ppl instantly. Unfortunately as a small user you’re not in the best position to negotiate prices ( IIRC I spent £10 - 11K on fuel last year - 2/3 of that would have been with Fuelserv!)

it could also be down to the fact that not every fuel forecourt can cater for a 16.5 mtr artic to come in and fuel up.
also not every driver will look out for the cheapest fuel and some never look at the fuel prices at all, others simply just fuel up where the driver gets a knock back (a free cup of coffee, a plate or some points on a card towards something from the drivers cabinet of goodies).
with a bunkered fuel card it doesn’t matter where the driver fills up, the price is the same and is based upon either forecasted fuel usage or actual fuel usage.
i brokered an excellent deal with a local garage when i was in charge of a small fleet of trucks but they couldn’t take the trailers in which meant the drivers coming to the yard, dropping the trailers then travelling back to the garage, a total of 9 miles round trip, plus on 2 occasions the same driver forgot to drop the airlines off before pulling out from under the trailer - result = all profits gained are lost.
sometimes you have to wonder if the people you employ actually do it on purpose?

I know that pump prices are driven by the local competition. In huntingdon we have tesco, sainsbury’s, texaco and shell all within about a 1 mile radius of each other, which keeps the prices pretty low. Infact they tesco price at Bar hill is 3p per litre more than in huntingdon, and its only about 10 miles away.

I would have thought that the fuel cards would have been fighting each other for the business, and as such offering incentives, such as cashback etc, even if they are no cheaper per litre of fuel.

Denis F:

Tramper:

I did use my business card ( there’s only the missus and me refuelling) but it was a pain getting her to keep receipts - so I got the all-star - less credit but much easier for doing the VAT!!!

I wouldn’t issue company credit cards to drivers either - you only have to fall out with one and it’s problem time :wink:

re the 80ppl price - if I don’t use the card for a couple of weeks they’ll be on the phone - last time I got a cut of 4ppl instantly. Unfortunately as a small user you’re not in the best position to negotiate prices ( IIRC I spent £10 - 11K on fuel last year - 2/3 of that would have been with Fuelserv!)

Lucky you I spend more than that a month, and the buggers do nowt for us :frowning:

I have to agree with Johny here, I have seen dozens of drivers who will only fuel up where they give you cash back, Belgium,

I worked with people who would buy fridges and cookers on DKV, do cash back on Euroshell or just sell fuel for beer money.

I have always treated my employers the same as when I employed drivers. Treat the truck as my own and I still worry about the cost of a job, or running too far empty.

When I was working in Europe all the time, we set up a deal with Euroshell and got a specially discounted price at one unmanned satellite depot and paid a standard rate for everywhere else. But that was with a company running 100 trucks. We had DKV for emergency and tankcleans and Keyfuels to get you out of the UK

renaultman:
Lucky you I spend more than that a month, (

I’m working in a niche market :wink: there’s only me and I only do 50000km’s a year :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Just incase any of you guys are coming up this way.
Fuel has gone up again in this neck of the woods.

Filled up today on the A428 at the BP station just after Hardwick. 84.9 ppl inc vat :open_mouth:
The Esso station at Caxton is the same price. :open_mouth:

Shell in Huntingdon is still at 90.9ppl inc vat.

All have room for trucks to get in without going under the canopy.