Scanias, are they worth it?

Seen a 59 plate ex Lomas Distrubution Scania R480 up for sale at £36995 and started comparing them with other 59 plates and the equivalent Daf would be around 25k. Got me wondering if theyre realy worth paying the extra money for? This Scania would be just what I’d loon for, alloy wheels, lightweight midlift and tipping gear.

How do spare parts for Scania compare to say MAN or Daf? All in all is a Scania a more reliable motor than other makes? Can they really do a million + k’s with little trouble?

Your opinions are welcome! !

Matt.

Don’t know but I’d certainly avoid a lomas one ,it’s all hard work out of Buxton at top weight too ,try looking for one from the fens or Suffolk .

imho yes they are, but like above i wouldnt buy a lomas one

mines on 1,008,580 same engine, same gear box same paint work, yes i had alot of work done on her at the start of the year (oil leaks/ecu/batteries/starter had a power surge) but now she is near perfect apart from some stone chips

Hi Matt,this ones on 640,000 and has not been a spot of bother,1 clutch in her and a couple of centre bearings on prop,not bad for a landfill site regular!!

Im not particularly looking for one at the moment but ive always fancied a scania and thought these looked tidy. Dan- surely a decent wagon should live with the hills of Derbyshire fairly well. I just thought the wagons are always turned out well so they must be well cared for by driver and operator?

Matt.

Personally, I think Scania kick the arse out of the fact that they used to be better than everything else twenty years ago.

Matt I’ve spent years working on bulk tipper repairs, round here the wear and tear difference to that of my uncle s firm in uttoxeter where it’s flat is unbelievable ,I’d say a 5 year old Buxton lorry has done far more compared with ones from other flatter areas of 5 years old .

I appreciate your opinion Dan! So if you’re a bit of a fitter then what is your opinion of Scania Trucks?

Harry Monk:
Personally, I think Scania kick the arse out of the fact that they used to be better than everything else twenty years ago.

+1

xfmatt:
I appreciate your opinion Dan! So if you’re a bit of a fitter then what is your opinion of Scania Trucks?

Never had anything to do with scanias other than buying a 145 of a customer which ended up with Darren from kelsa bars .also I wouldn’t let tipping gear sway you in to buying its easy to fit and need not be new either ,also now you don’t need to bother with such as the Dafs £2200 charge just for the software(which is what I was quoted by the firm that supplied the last crane I fitted ) for pto on the As tronic as it’s now achievable to have a new pump and pto supplied and fitted to a As tronic with a standard manual air button for £1700 .

The residual value of the Scania after say four years of use will be far more than the DAF, and justify the extra expense…as long as you look after it of course.

Dan Punchard:
Don’t know but I’d certainly avoid a lomas one ,it’s all hard work out of Buxton at top weight too ,try looking for one from the fens or Suffolk .

MMMH, good one this… we have a ex lomas Scania had it for around 4yrs now bought it with approx. 600,klicks, but a old truck in this day and age its a 2005 R470, with around 1,3 klicks on it now and apart from a clutch at 900+ klicks the unit is still running 7 days per week and returning v,v good fuel aswell so I wouldn’t say lomas motors are all no good… its cost next to nothing " shouldn’t have said that" in the time we have had it, I think the price is just a little on the high side tho!
we have just bought 2 x Scania highline 10 plates for a little less than the lomas motor you have seen matt, with only 350,kms on them these have ptos etc fitted aswell…
Scania is a good truck but as some say they are living on old times and kicking the arse out of It " yes they are" , the cabs are not the best esp the bunk etc,
parts wise we have a good relationship with our local Scania dealer and they can/do basically match factors parts for us give and take £10~£20, we never fit factor parts anyway waste of time /money some people say its just in a different box etc but again for a few quid extra its not worth messing around with. We no we get the correct parts and they fit correctly and work,
Man are over priced esp on parts,
one simple question matt take a look around and see for example how many 02 dafs do you see or 02 Mans still running daily I no people will say they are to old etc ,I am just saying for a example, but yet you still see plenty of old scanias and Volvos running on these ages so in away the answer is in the question,
but all have faults , but you pay for what you get Scania is a more expensive bit of kit but seem to last a lot better■■?

my mates just paid a serious amount of money for this, how do you reckon it will hold its value in 5 years time?

chaversdad:
my mates just paid a serious amount of money for this, how do you reckon it will hold its value in 5 years time?

It looks very nice, but how many extra loads/tonnes per week compared to a more basic vehicle will it be doing?
It will end up being : (purchase price + total running costs)/( revenue + resale value). Will that be better than the more basic vehicle? Although it may require 1.5 basic vehicles to equal the operating life of the top dog, to ensure the resale value doesn’t drop off the value curve it may be necessary to sell the top dog early.

Keltruck have an 09 R480 top line, ex countrywide, lightweight middle axle, side skirts, infill, etc…

Not high on the km, with a lick of paint that would be a tidy motor…

Lrm

chaversdad:

will say something chavs, I was very,very close to ordering one of the abovetrucks and so glad we didn’t order it after seeing the above unit at Newark I was very disappointed to say its a 50th anniversary model, for the extra dosh Scania wanted for a resin badge on the wing sides with the truck number etc and crap decals “imo” and gold paint for the 730 we was quoted I think it was 143k or 146k… boy oh boy was I glad we didn’t order one now,

cav551:

chaversdad:

It looks very nice, but how many extra loads/tonnes per week compared to a more basic vehicle will it be doing?
It will end up being : (purchase price + total running costs)/( revenue + resale value). Will that be better than the more basic vehicle? Although it may require 1.5 basic vehicles to equal the operating life of the top dog, to ensure the resale value doesn’t drop off the value curve it may be necessary to sell the top dog early.

the 580 they gave a price of around 131k I think but I didn’t want the 580, mind you glad as I say we didn’t get either!!! will wait till the new model comes out now and see whats what with that and maybe have a stab at one of those

i know the paint wasnt up to standard and Scania had to redo bits of it when it arrived, apart from that he seems fairly happy, all he runs are scania V8, s , i asked him why he didnt order the 730 seeing as most of his trucks are 620,s, he said he had heard of cooling problems with the top rating and as this truck will only be doing local stop /start work he didnt want to chance it

chaversdad:

£156k + the kelsa bits :open_mouth:

And the twin 5" stacks which you cant see on the pics :open_mouth: :laughing: I always laugh when i,m in the yard as its like a Scania fans ■■■■■■■■■, everything from a rusting 142 sat in the corner right up to this gold one