Euro6 fuel requirements

I see manufacturers are warning operators of Euro 6 trucks to keep an eye on the quality of the fuel they use. :smiley:

Was the same for euro5…Any fuel item issues will require a fuel sample to be sent to a lab to be analysed, any issues with the sample and you won’t get warranty on the item that has failed…You may find that you get a quick diagnosis ,but the vehicle may not be repaired until the result of the sample is known.Dealer won’t repair it for the manufacturer to reject it and the customer is long gone ,or isn’t willing to pay and the dealer is left with the bill

Yeah Norb, I’ve had a major engine failure on a Euro 5 FH which was put down to High Sulphur Diesel :imp:

Yes high sulphur diesel will screw up the stupid bloody water cooled egr valves by clogging up the poppet valves with soot.Just a get out clause for a crap idea which is going to cost operators,not manufacturers,a bloody fortune.
Dont really matter about the sulphur content as cooling a hot gas with cold water is going to cause “drop out” of particulates in the egr valve body but at least the likes of DAF,Volvo,Merc etc wont have to foot the bill for their ill thought out designs just cream the operators for the repair bill every time the emission light comes on.
Cant wait to see the bill when an egr and induction manifold has to be “decoked” because you have been using sub standard diesel you bought at a BP fuel station.
Euro 6 is a bloody joke.

High sulphur diesel will do a lot worse damage than that, just had a full engine rebuild because if it! Hole in one piston and other five cracked !! :smiling_imp:

Bking ,do you really think the manufacturers want to down this road ■■? From what I know ,some politician sat in Brussels started all this Euro emission law…Do you honestly think manufacturers enjoyed having to invest millions on new engines ,designing new cabs and modifying chassis etc ,when they had systems that did the job , everyone knew them inside out , & they where easier to get going with a quick fix …Don’t you think manufacturers ,know the systems aren’t perfect,but if you have a better system to get to Euro 6,sell it to them …IVECO are the only manufacturer that is Euro 6 compliant with SCR only ,god knows what the Italians can do that no one else can…You do realise for most manufacturers ,companys like Bosch and Delphi manufacture the fuel systems ,and it is them who reject the warranty claim,not the vehicle manufacturer…Wait till you find out he cost of a complete exhaust system…You seem to rant a lot but don’t actually know much to be honest…A Euro 6 truck once out of warranty and not on a contract will easily put a small operator out of business…So depending on their reliability ,and life expectancy of items will show what kind of 2nd hand market their is for them,because nothing is cheap

I know I dont know a lot,unlike yourself,but as far as I know the “euro emission” laws where brought about by the Americans,specificaly the state of California,introducing stringent emission laws that banned any vehicle being imported into the state which didnt meet their standards which was then adopted as Federal law.
The European vehicle producers then had to reduce their emissions so that they could still sell their vehicles in the USA.Mercedes where prosecuted a few years ago for “tweeking” their vehicle emission levels to get an import license to the US.
The Americans also introduced standardised EOBD diagnostic protocols.This was to stop manufacturer specific protocols having to be used to access the vehicles ECUs.
So when the yanks say jump europe asks how high?Sod all to do with “eurocrats” in Brussels.

Bking:
I know I dont know a lot,unlike yourself,but as far as I know the “euro emission” laws where brought about by the Americans,specificaly the state of California,introducing stringent emission laws that banned any vehicle being imported into the state which didnt meet their standards which was then adopted as Federal law.
The European vehicle producers then had to reduce their emissions so that they could still sell their vehicles in the USA.Mercedes where prosecuted a few years ago for “tweeking” their vehicle emission levels to get an import license to the US.
The Americans also introduced standardised EOBD diagnostic protocols.This was to stop manufacturer specific protocols having to be used to access the vehicles ECUs.
So when the yanks say jump europe asks how high?Sod all to do with “eurocrats” in Brussels.

Bking you have went up in my estimation there ,I was awaiting a rant,since it never came I apologise .though I will criticise or applaud as required …Yep we jump to the American tune…But like you say California ,not forgetting San Francisco…You are correct on the EOBD .but the disaster there is the weakness of the plug and socket,how many of the OBD sockets have you seen with damaged pins ■■? Now everyone on here will slate DAFs wiring ,and I can’t defend it ,but the DAF circular diagnostic socket was bullet proof.Just a pity they didn’t manufacture the rest of the plugs the same :angry: :angry: …I think M.A.N in America got fined as they got points for EPA 10 ,which they used up ,I think it gave them extra time to achive the emissions ,but they failed and where done …DAF should have a head start on Euro6 with the engine already running in the states in EPA 10 form .but there is slight differences as Euro 6 and EPA10 are not identical…The only plus point of Euro 6 as a DAF tech is …no more pump units ,a nightmare to diagnois as there is no way to individually test each pump unit …there is what looks like 2 pump units ,but they only look the same ,they work differently and are the pumps to supply the common rail

all this zb ing about with emissions will put the small firms and even some medium ones out of business.its time to say that’s enough,after all trucks are working vehicles that don’t work well with high technology.before long truck drivers will need the same skills and education as a jet pilot. :confused: :open_mouth: :frowning: :unamused:

shirtbox2003:
all this zb ing about with emissions will put the small firms and even some medium ones out of business.its time to say that’s enough,after all trucks are working vehicles that don’t work well with high technology.before long truck drivers will need the same skills and education as a jet pilot. :confused: :open_mouth: :frowning: :unamused:

100% correct as they trucks get more technical and the costs rise ,ie the complete exhaust system is in the region of £20,000,then the small operators will disappear…Will there even be much of a market for 2nd hand euro 6 motors ■■?..I think you may see Euro5 motors around for a long time yet…Manufacturers now do 2nd life engine overhaul kits for euro 5

I think the days of buying a truck is disappearing, be far more leasing with R&M contracts.

Are we likely to follow the USA and start a demand for glider kits? It would seem that euro 3 would be a sensible stage to go back to.

Would it really be that sad not to be able to deliver to London? Who wants to go there anyway?

The first thing anyone should do with any vehicle with EGR, Is cap off the EGR pipe. Nothing but grief.
The MAP sensor gets clogged with soot, Easy fix but it costs a fortune at the main dealers for some reason.

dieselhead.ie:
I see manufacturers are warning operators of Euro 6 trucks to keep an eye on the quality of the fuel they use. :smiley:

Correct, the diesel needs to be ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) and this 15 ppm Sulphur. The pumps should all be ULSD nowadays (and a sticker on the pump saying that it is), but it is the bulk diesel that you guys may have in your yards that could become an issue.

You think that’s bad enough with white diesel, imagine the headache it’s going to be when when the little engines in the fridges start needing to meet Euro 4 /5 onwards! When you ring up and ask for “red diesel” then it could be genuine red diesel as in it was white diesel with a dye in it, but it could be a FAME fuel and this will not meet the sulphur requirement at all. Plus some engines (especially with the industrial engines I work with) won’t take FAME / Bio Diesel at all…

muckles:
I think the days of buying a truck is disappearing, be far more leasing with R&M contracts.

I think they have gone mate. Going back ten or so years, I could never understand why people took out a contract maintenance package. Now though, I think you are almost crackers if you dont especially with this Euro 6 malarkey. I can’t find it at the moment, but I believe the highest amount of bio fuel which you can run is Euro 6 is something like B7.

It gets worse euro 6 engines aren’t allowed to have the engine breather vent to atmosphere …So you now have another bloody system to recirculate the oil fumes ,and again ,not as simple as you would think…

Spoke to a fuel expert the other day and he said the major problem with white diesel now a days is water. Because of the percentage of bio fuel and additive to stop smoke this now allows any water in the tank to be suspended in the fuel and not separated out as before. Thus the water is getting into the engine and causing all sorts of problems with injectors and pistons.