Starting out on my own?.....or not?

Did you mr smith factor in the lost revenue and damage for your first year of trading? In my experience you can do your sums whatever way you want but there will always be an added expense somewhere along the line , damage theft tyres hold ups non paying customers etc etc , As a young company you are considering Irish work , ferry delays missed ferries ferry damage regular occurrence , me personally I’d have subbed the loads out and kept my lorry on my regular work instead of adding the complications of hire / buying another lorry adding another driver and leaving him to your bread and butter work,
Each to there own,
but I can’t help thinking slowly slowly catch the monkey, in my first years trading I looked at long distance work as an option , I quickly realised that a lorry up the road was limited to 1 shift whereas a lorry can be double shifted on local work , this was the way to make it work , some owner drivers with the Kelsa pack dont seem to think of the lorry as a working tool , the more it does the more you make . When my fist lorry was running between 10-12 shifts a week then I decided we need another one ,
At the end of the day general haulage is rock bottom rates , it’s what you can save that makes you the money ,i.e. 1 road tax 1 insurance 1 ■■■■■■■■■■■■ etc , double shift if possible,maximise earnings and it can work .