Starting out on my own?.....or not?

albion:

adycross:
Thanks all, lots more thinking to do. It’s not burning a hole yet but I feel I need the money to work for me. I only know one thing, it’s what I’ve always done. Just thought I might be able to fill my pockets not my bosses.

Generally, you won’t earn a whole load more as an o/d but with a load more hassle.

^ This. And that generally only applies to the very small percentage who have a business head on them and are doing it to make money. The majority of owner drivers do not possess any business acumen and only do it to have their name on the door, as evidenced by the huge number of them dragging ISO shipping containers, fridges, tilts and bricks and blocks aroung the country for a quid a mile for the likes of Maritime, Hanson, Tarmac, Rosewood, Heritage, Solstor, DSV etc.

Most don’t last more than a couple of years and then an unexpected blow-out and a disputed invoice over a lost POD sends to them to the grave after living hand to mouth every day since they got the keys.

To put it nicely seeing as you’re a new member, you’d be off your rocker to start up as owner driver these days. Save yourself all the hassle and just chuck your £45k in the nearest fire as the end result will be the same.