New or used

cav551:
Be aware that a full service history from a main dealer carrying out its obligations under an R&M contract does not guarantee that the vehicle will be in 1st class condition for its age.

I will relate again the experience of one of my customers. Noticing a 4 year old unit for sale at the other end of the country they were reassured by the fact that it was a manufacturer approved and backed used vehicle with a FSH from an R&M contract. Accordingly they did not carry out their own inspection. When it arrived at the local dealer through whom it was being purchased and who was charged with obtaining a 12 month MOT as part of the conditions of sale, it was found to require significant and expensive remedial work. This dealer refused to present the vehicle for test in that condition. Various arguments followed between two dealers and the manufacturer about who would be paying.

I’ve always preferred controlling the servicing aspect myself, but was persuaded by Mr A to give R&M a go on two units, both Scania. (Note to self, stick with Plan A and ignore what the men say… :wink: ). One we sent back, the second we negotiaged a deal to keep it. First time it went in for inspection/servicing there was a list of things wrong a mile long. In fairness, nothing major, but stuff that should have been done as we went along. Never touch an R&M contract again.